Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139754 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - Now 200% Flashier
« Reply #825 on: April 12, 2018, 02:10:36 pm »

Oh, well never mind then.  It makes the golems quite a bit easier, but it is no longer part of the basic avatar's abilities.  You can import it if you want, I added it as the item "Quake Boots".

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 12, 2018, 02:13:57 pm »

Oh. Okay. The golems thing reminds me that I should really remove the potion sling (A. It isn’t very good, and it isn’t alll that fun. B. Use it on a golem. The poison was very fatal. For me, that is. Suddenly 6 golem bugs, and the sling did awful damage to them). But the regular sling may/may not stay, depending on how badly it breaks the difficulty.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 12, 2018, 03:00:49 pm »

I also made a minor change to the basic targeted dash attack, it now aims for the edge of a target's hitbox instead of the middle.  Makes hitting big enemies less confusing, though it might make enemies that try to maintain their distance harder to hit.

By the way, when you go to the second phase, make sure that the boss isn't off the edge of the arena.  Maybe have him jump to the middle for the _ondeath event, then transform.

Is there any reason why you always seem to use create events instead of transform events?  Create events work too, but it's a little odd.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 12, 2018, 03:04:19 pm »

Well, that should make phase 1 easier. Phase 2, ironically, is made harder by that, but it was easiest to fight them by pushing them into a corner anyways, so it probably won’t be anything huge for that.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 13, 2018, 08:30:46 am »

Minor update -

You can now add flash effects to tilemaps, layers, and rooms, both in the world builder and through in-game functions.  You can also colorize items in the world builder.

I bought a nice movie making program.  Going to try and make some preview videos.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 13, 2018, 08:34:05 am »

Great! That will come in handy when I redo Shadowmage’s fight.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - New Gameplay Video available!
« Reply #831 on: April 14, 2018, 03:12:54 pm »

I'm having a look around.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 14, 2018, 03:21:15 pm »

The video is neat! Although it did feel a little long. Might just have been that I played the beginning of Protea, though. Not sure.

Side note: Do you think I should put more skills on phase 2 Spids? I am kind of running into a wall with ideas.
Ugh, that reminds me. I still need names for things. Bleh. At least I managed to find two I like. Just leaves 12ish to go.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 14, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »

It was a bit rushed.  I was mainly just testing to see if the software worked.  It does, so hopefully I'll have more material for more polished trailers and so on.

I don't think you really need any more skills for phase 2.  Phase 1 seems to be the "main" boss, and it's pretty good - phase 2 feels like a "last ditch surprise attack", which is fine.  You don't expect a small spider to be more threatening than a giant spider.

Fun fact about the _ondeath function, the sprite will not actually die until the function is complete, after which it checks to see if it should still die before actually dying.  So you can actually pack a whole cutscene in there if you like.  And transformations will revive it completely (this is a special rule, transformations maintain the HP percentage that it had before, except in cases where it is at 0 HP).

Don't think too hard about names for minor characters (most NPCs don't even have names).  Honestly just naming characters after the things you have on your desk can feel more creative than trying to come up with fantasy-novel names.  Or you can just go to http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/.

EDIT: I fixed a recent bug with the trigger code that was affecting some of the older worlds.  It should work properly now.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 14, 2018, 04:34:24 pm »

Ah, okay.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Good to know. The current transformation was just to test it out, but that should make it easier to make a good one for real. Thank you.

I guess. I just don’t want NPCs to be non-entities, even if most of them will never have their pasts mentioned or be explored.
That reminds me. I should consider renaming Elen and Alend. They became more important to the project then I planned when I chose the names (they were originally just going to be in that dungeon, then I figured I would put them in other projects, then they became core to my full project), so I don’t feel like names that were basically copied from a book (with the last letters cut off) are right, especially since the characters have absolutely nothing to do with the characters that they basically share names with.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 14, 2018, 10:51:54 pm »

My current project has suddenly disappeared. I can load the room, but the entire thing is blank. I have not saved it while it was in this state, but it doesn't seem to be restoring. I am rather worried about this, as this has been quite a bit of work. Is it going to be gone for good?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 15, 2018, 03:14:48 am »

You may have loaded it with the wrong tileset.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 15, 2018, 03:33:45 am »

WTF... It's gone.  The data file has no objecr data, as if it were a new world that was saved.
I've never seen this before.  It shouldn't be possible.
Do you have a browser tab that has been open since you last loaded it?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 15, 2018, 04:37:39 am »

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to make an isometric world?
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:50:37 am by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:26 am »

I don’t have a browser tab that was open since I last opened it. I just saved after finishing my boss cutscene, shut down my laptop, turned it back on, went to the BoundWorlds tab that opened because it was open when I turned off my laptop, loaded it, and it was gone.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90