Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 140879 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Better World Editing
« Reply #915 on: May 30, 2018, 03:41:10 am »

Well, the real reason is because it's a game and areas aren't loaded or stored in memory when you're not there.  As for how this appears to people within the worlds, well, that's up to their own interpretation.

But non-insane people understanding the true nature of their world should be rare, so others may come up with different explanations.  Some might say that the Void is outside of the normal flow of time, or that it allows people to see the future, or that it just makes people crazy, or that it is a realm of chaos.  Others might believe that the universe is a dream and that since dreams are simply ideas time is subjective to those who travel between them.  Aside from the few who know the truth, it's really up to the interpretation of the characters.

(Gates create permanent links between worlds - within one playthrough anyway - if both have "allow entrance", "allow exit", and "world exit" boxes checked.  The first two are selected by default, but the third is not.  Generally public entrances should have both selected, but I wanted there to be an option to separate them - some exits should not be public entrances, like the end of a dungeon, but would be perfectly logical to be able to re-enter one the player has finished with it.  Hmm, maybe public entrances with "allow exit" checked should automatically operate as world exits?  Is there any valid reason for a player to want a public entrance that can be re-entered, but does not link back to the place the player came from, even if the place the player came from allows re-entry?  Hm, got to think about that.)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: May 30, 2018, 09:14:03 am »

Okay.
I think my excuse for the characters will be that the void is chaotic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:33:58 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 31, 2018, 02:04:23 am »

Cool plan.  You mind spoilering it though?  This is planned on being the big twist and I'd prefer not to have it out in the open until it becomes common knowledge.

So long as it's well-hidden in your world, I don't mind if you get in on it as well.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 31, 2018, 06:26:53 am »

Sure, but how do I spoiler things on the forum? I don’t actually know.

Edit: Looked at how you did it using quote. Question retracted (also, sorry. I was thinking about spoilersing it until I realized I had no clue how).

Edit: Made a goofy color changing slime because why not? Took a fair amount of space in the update function, but maybe I'll find a use for that. Randomly shifts colors pretty quickly (_color._(r/g/b)+3*_rand), reversing once it gets to 255 and unreversing once it gets to 0. I guess I could use it for something, since it looks kind of neat, although it still needs some fine tuning.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:17:28 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 01, 2018, 12:45:06 am »

Yeah, color changing is fun.  Maybe an NPC who changes color based on how they are feeling?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Another Gameplay Video. This one's a boss.
« Reply #920 on: June 01, 2018, 07:45:12 am »

I like it. Now I just have to decide who that would fit with. I already have a list of like 10 characters for Lusuria, so I am getting pretty close to having enough to actually start work.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 02, 2018, 11:53:29 pm »

12 characters are decided! Finally. Although, it is pretty huge different to work with a town in which most characters don't have things like hands. Have to consider how things can actually function in a town like that. Bright side: Mages exist, so I can work around stuff with "people know magic," but I prefer to avoid that a fair amount. People primarily find work that fits with their abilities. Now I have to actually put all of the people in the town, and give them dialogue, etc. That might take a bit, but at least I know who I am making now. Plus, two of them are already semi-worked on.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 03, 2018, 12:44:03 am »

I like it!  Keep it up  :)

I'm probably going to change the default acolyte sprite to make them a bit more...distinguished.  Probably going to give them robes, and something with a color so "unusual" ones can be easily made distinctive.

I'm also thinking about text box colors.  I'm looking over a bunch of RPGs and trying to discern a pattern between those that use white on black or black on white as their default, and I've found a very interesting pattern... It seems that the text box color is very often tied to the overall "tone" of the game, with casual or kid-friendly games (Pokemon, Starview Valley, Mario) tending to have light colored backgrounds, and those with more serious themes (Zelda, Final Fantasy, Undertale) tend to prefer darker colored backgrounds.  It's a very noticeable trend once you know to look for it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 03, 2018, 01:21:22 am »

Thanks. I hope it turns out well.

Will their faces still be plain grey? Otherwise, I’ll have to think of a different plot point (it’ll make sense when it comes up), which stinks, but c’est la vie.

Huh, never noticed that. Interesting. I’ll have to watch for that. I don’t actually remember what colors my text boxes are, since I’ve been using the default, but I suppose I’ll have to think about that (if only to choose something completely thematically off.

By the way, will you be continuing Chromatic Spirits again sometime? I was just wondering, since it has been silent for like a month, and I had enjoyed it. I suppose it takes a lot of work to maintain something with that many people (I sure couldn’t), especially on top of a big project like BoundWorlds, so it makes sense if the answer is no, I’d just prefer to know.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 03, 2018, 02:20:00 am »

I think I'll go with gray humanoids in colored robes.  That way you'll be able to determine the color of the robes.  I just have to make the sprite.

As for Chromatic Spirits, it'll probably continue at some point when I'm less busy.  I still have a whole lot of plot planned out (multiple possible plots depending on player choices actually), but it's a lot of effort to write.  See my avatar quote.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 03, 2018, 11:05:39 am »

K. Sounds cool (and works our well for me, so double bonus).

Okay. Thank you for the answer.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:17:35 am by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 04, 2018, 12:20:55 am »

How can we save @._title to a variable that won't just become 0 (since _title will usually be text)? I want to refer to the character's name (if you name yourself something silly, that's on you, I guess) in certain dialogue. Mostly having people ask the player their name. Doesn't feel right to have to have characters refer to the player as the traveler/wander/etc.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 04, 2018, 10:26:53 am »

@._title should work.  You put it in brackets in a text field, like

Hello, {@._title}!

Text only becomes 0 if you try to apply it to a numeric variable, like stats.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2018, 12:41:14 pm »

I had saved it to a variable (hadn’t considered just putting it in the text blocks), so maybe that was what messed me up. Thanks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Trailer Video Uploaded
« Reply #929 on: June 05, 2018, 04:18:16 pm »

Minor update, just a few style fixes, and fixed the bug where credits or tags would randomly not select properly.

I've also uploaded a trailer video!  Could probably be better, but whatever, it's just to hopefully gain a bit of attention.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 90