Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139543 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: A Puzzling Dream
« Reply #1305 on: December 06, 2018, 04:51:16 pm »

I can get the image scale to work by array (just needs two numbers and a comma between them), just not velocity.
I’ll give it a try. Thanks. I’m trying to modify the speed of every object.

That shouldn’t matter I think, but thanks for the warning.

Makes sense. Actually, since I should really be finishing the desert dungeon instead. I can wait on doing this anyway.

Edit: Spent twenty minutes trying to fix a glitch before remembering that you had already told me how to fix it (the Sculptor lock up glitch from before), and fixed another glitch that could break everything if blue was active on death. Woops. Beyond that, coming along.

Edit: Having a problem with BoundWorlds crashing again. The one on room transfer. Had this a few days ago, but apparently, I forgot to mention it?

Additionally, having an issue. When I beat the miniboss and move back to Droom1, I instantly die. I think I know why (Droom1 is still on red tiles, so even though it immediately switches to blue, I think the player falls through anyway (I know they player dies by falling, since they switch to fall art before dying)), but I don't know how to fix it without overcomplicated workarounds. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:31:26 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1306 on: December 09, 2018, 04:53:05 am »

Hmm... You can try using _update_before to run the tile update. This should ensure that the tiles are updated before the collisions are handled.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 09, 2018, 04:53:39 am »

Okay. I値l give that a shot. Thanks.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 10, 2018, 04:04:04 pm »

Been working on another major rendering optimization that should help further improve framerates.  Unfortunately it's forcing me to basically change every drawing function at once, so I've got to that version of the code kind of stored separately while I work on simpler stuff.

I fixed the issue that was causing the crashes.

Putting the change event in _update_before does fix the issue.  To make it less of a hassle, you could copy and paste the _update function, rename it, and then call it as a function in the _update_before function.  There should really be a way of copying multiple events at once, though.

I played through the desert trial, such as it is.  Looking nice so far!  A few small suggestions to make it nicer (though you're probably planning on some of them anyway):

Preloading the boss rooms will make their music start more consistently.

The hourglasses could make the sandstorm fade in, then use a flash to conceal the tile swap.  Kind of like what happens when you find the secret area, but faster.

The secret room needs to be connected to the right gate - it tries to return you to the old rooms.

Come to think of it, I don't even know how you do that "sinking into the sand" effect.  Gonna have to check out how that works.  The way the last statue crumbles is pretty cool, maybe the others should do the same?

Would be nice if the dragon had some animations, like flying or opening its mouth to breathe fire.

Other than that, it's pretty nice!  I've added some more layers to the NPC generator on Open Game Art so that's there if you want to use it for making new human or humanoid characters.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 10, 2018, 04:13:15 pm »

Makes sense.

Great! Thanks.

Okay. Thanks. I値l do that when I get on.

Thanks!

Will do. Although, since their music doesn稚 immediately start on room entry if I recall, will that still work?

Oh, yeah. I had been planning to make them fade in, but I forgot. The flash sounds like a good idea too. Thanks. I値l definitely add those.

Whoops! Thanks. That was a real silly mistake for me.

Excluding white box and later changes. I値l add it to the others. That should make them look nicer.

Oh, yeah, right. Completely forgot. Thanks, will add.

Thanks for all the tips. This really needs some polish now that I think about it, and these should add it.

Cool! I値l have to use those on my town NPCs.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 10, 2018, 05:22:06 pm »

Oh, something else I forgot to mention - you can add shake effects to the room by using _room as the target for a shake event (they work similar to flashes, with intensity timers and such).  There are some places where this would work nicely, like the Sculptor's slam attack, the dragon crashing down, tile swaps, and opening the final path.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 10, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »

Oh, right, those should look nice. Thanks.

Edit: I’ll be trying to finish the dungeon tomorrow and over the weekend. I’ve been taking way too long on this, so I’d like to get it done and start catching up.

Edit: By the way, I got a crash when I was testing an attempt at fixing the sand controller first room death thing. The test had failed (I had accidentally only edited the standard version, and not the first room version), so I would have died immediately. It was an easy fix this time (since I had to fix what probs caused it anyway), but it could be a more meaningful issue in other circumstances.

Edit: Okay, now I'm just getting the standard crashes again. Finished a boss test round, returned to the editor, and instantly got a crash. Something appears to still be wrong?

Edit: Sometimes, when I create a layer or room (anything that is labeled (thing)(number), like room18 or layer2), the number on the end disappears after I switch menus (or possibly enter testing mode? Not sure exactly when this occurs). I keep ending up with layer2s labeled layer, which is messing things up. Probably not a significant glitch (unless it has greater implications), just annoying.

Edit: I forgot that I made Sand Scorpions stop being a unit during their teleport. That messed up the rush room because it tested for units. I'll make it test for not bullet/effect instead.

Edit: Welp, might not end up getting does as soon as I hoped. Ended up spending a long while on getting the crumbling effect to work on standard sand statues. Bright side is that I think it works now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:03:42 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 16, 2018, 11:50:35 am »

Found the crash issue - it was credits related.  I hope that fixes everything.

Also fixed the new object numbering problem.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 16, 2018, 03:15:37 pm »

Thank you. I値l tell you if I find anything else, but hopefully, that値l be it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 16, 2018, 05:38:43 pm »

There seems to be a bug with the sand statues; if you die after collecting one some of them become uncollectable when you respawn.  I'm not sure exactly how they work so I'm not sure why...

I'm almost positive there is an easier way of doing whatever it is you're doing with them.  Like a single invisible sprite that handles the dialogue, that creates and manipulates the visible statue.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 16, 2018, 06:05:29 pm »

Huh, I’ll try to figure it out. Thanks.

There is definitely an easier way. Unfortunately, I realized that far too late, so I might just leave as is.

Edit: I added a cutscene to the beginning Autem cutscene. I added an End Cutscene to the end, but it doesn't seem to be ending? I just end up unable to move. I don't know whether this is a mistake I made or some greater problem (probably the first), but if you could take a look, it would be appreciated.
Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out. I put the destroy yourself effect before the end cutscene by mistake, so it just destroyed itself before it could end the cutscene.
Woops.
Edit: Bright side is that that actually helped me avoid a problem. The destroy also happened before a variable activation, so it would have messed up dialogue on repeat plays.

Edit: Oh, the problem with the statues being unactivatable is that they don't spawn again. Must have forgotten to reset their setting effect... Woops. Well, should be an easy fix.
Yeah, just forgot to set _world.sp to 0. Foolish mistake for me. You might end up with some of the statues swapping between rounds, but they should work. Now I just wonder what _world.sc is. Was it just a typo, or was it meaningful? Welp. I should label better. Edit: Oh, right, it is the number of statues checked. Wonder why I set that right, but not the actual statue setting.

Edit: Fixed a bunch of stuff (what was I even doing with the second secret room. That wasn't done at all), but I didn't quite finishing testing. I should have time to wrap up tomorrow though.

Edit: The desert trial is kind of shoddily made. What was past me doing? I mean, it mostly works, but it is kind of messy in a lot of places.

Edit: Apparently still getting random crashes? Wasn't even in a room transfer this time. I had been testing for quite some time (about an hour or so), and I just crashed while editing the sand controller in the post Sculptor boss room.
Hope I didn't lose anything, because my memory is garbage right now, and I have no idea what I was doing before that...
Edit: Oh, wait, I remember now. Nothing was lost.

Anyways, I've ran quite a few rounds, and I've probably forgotten some of the stuff I need to fix, but this is really starting to work. I don't know what past me was doing sometimes, but I've managed to fix most of it anyways.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:04:40 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 17, 2018, 02:55:44 pm »

Don't worry about it, the trial looks great.  The only area I could think of improving it is with some extra graphical effects, but that would be just icing on the cake.

I would change some of the dialogue though.  The characters' tendency to tell you that they're holding back or assuring you of your safety during the trial itself can be a bit of a mood-killer.  Besides, if you're able to meet with them afterwards, that's a much better place to put that kind of thing.

I do think Hiekka's role during the final battle could be done a bit better too - manifesting as a single sand dragon that regenerates almost immediately when beaten and occasionally dropping easily-avoided magic bursts feels more annoying than powerful.  The sandstorm is cool though, and could probably be played up.  Hmm...maybe Hiekka could manifest as a sandstorm and during the sandstorm uses a bunch of various kinds of arena magic to put pressure on the player and make them focus on dodging, but occasionally enters a "rest" period, allowing the player to focus on fighting Autem.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 17, 2018, 03:35:01 pm »

Okay. Thanks.

Fair enough. Hiekka痴 a bit tricky to write, but yeah, thinking about it, I killed the tension there. Will change.

Oh, yeah, right. The single sand dragon was actually pre-Hiekka even being part of the fight. I値l remove them. The magic blasts are also probably dull, now that you mention it. I seem to recall that I just added them because I had decided to add Hiekka to the fight, had no ideas on what to do, and then just gave up or something I guess. I have no idea what past-me was thinking. I like the sandstorm manifestation idea, although what do you mean by arena magic?

Thanks for the critique. I felt like the dialogue and boss just weren稚 quite there this time, so this should really help me make them good enough. Thank you.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 17, 2018, 04:00:09 pm »

Well, the sand explosions are a start.  Maybe tornadoes?  I'll be fixing up wind effects soon (need them for the area I'm making next) so maybe that can work as well.  I also thought of an idea involving creating "shelter" areas and dealing continuous damage to the player if they aren't standing in a shelter, although that can be difficult to balance if Autem's doing stuff at the same time.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 17, 2018, 04:36:44 pm »

Ah, okay. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll rework that (probably not today because of a choir concert, but I should have good time tomorrow).
Mayhap the shelter could be an attack that got used while Autem is in the air and have it used randomly instead of the flying fireball drop?

Edit: I'm thinking about just nullifying the defend skill during the Trials. It messes up balance on a lot of stuff (small attacks just get fully blocked), and I think I prefer making people dodge to block. I just don't know if it is what I am going for.

Edit: Is there a good way to make a player move towards a point a set distance (like one of those black hole attacks in games) without making them reduce distance when they get close? I can think of some workarounds, but no really good ways.

Edit: It appears that when trying to set _face to _direction_to is crashing BoundWorlds? I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. I'm using on the object labeled PlayerPlacerMarker in the TestingBossroom, but when it activates, everything just goes black. Any clue what's going on?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:09:35 pm by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90