Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139746 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Update: A Puzzling Dream
« Reply #1320 on: December 19, 2018, 12:14:46 am »

You can make attacks unblockable by setting their physical value to 0.  If you want to nullify an ability you can do this using a status effect that grants an ability that does nothing using the same button, but keep in mind that this will also disable the spring jump.

The black hole effect will be a good opportunity for windboxes, which I'm working on.

I'll check out the bug.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 19, 2018, 12:19:10 am »

I might just disable it fully and then just buff jump to spring jump height when in parkour areas. Blocking also reduces knockback, and in some cases, that completely stops knockback. I’ll keep thinking on it for now.

Oh, okay. Cool. Looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks for taking a look.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: December 19, 2018, 01:53:13 am »

For inline functions (such as _direction_to) you need to put the parameters in parentheses: _direction_to(objectvar). That's a pretty severe crash though, going to have to fix that.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: December 19, 2018, 08:09:49 am »

Oh. Huh, I tried that, and nothing seemed to happen. Must have made a typo when I tried it out. Thanks for the help.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Wind Physics Implemented
« Reply #1324 on: December 19, 2018, 05:35:28 pm »

I've changed the way movement works in a way that attaches max speed to any given acceleration function instead of setting an absolute max speed specific to the sprite itself.  This allows for various types of wind effects.  Windboxes are a kind of hitbox that differ in that they add a speed vector to the target's current speed instead of causing them to stop and instantly accelerate to a set speed, and also they do not cause hitstun.  In other respects they are similar to normal hitboxes.

Hitboxes now have 3 separate knockback values: a base speed that is applied regardless of mass, a variable force value that is multiplied by the target's mass, and a max value that restricts the top speed the hitbox can accelerate the target.  This is nice for cases where, for example, you want an attack that will knock a person with mass of 1 back a few tiles but not turn a mouse with a mass of 0.001 into a supersonic missile, or a strong wind that will push the player but will not accelerate them over a certain speed.

I've also added two related function events, Accelerate and Apply Force.  The former just applies an acceleration value and direction to a target, capped at a max speed if you want, the latter simulates knockback of a hitbox collision on a given sprite without needing to actually create a hitbox.  Both are pretty similar in practice, though Accelerate is recommended if it's all you're doing.

You can create objects that suck stuff in or push things away by giving them a windbox with Radial Force selected.  Negative knockback will allow you to suck things in; this also works with the basic melee attack so you can make whirlpools or tornadoes or something of the sort.

Quite a number of things in the physics engine have been changed around, hopefully the bugs it causes will be minimal.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: December 19, 2018, 07:44:38 pm »

Cool, and makes sense.

Makes sense.

Also makes sense.

Great! That should help me make a big Hiekka attack.

Hopefully. I'll tell you if I run into anything.

And thanks for the convenient timing on this addition! Super useful, and should be useful for lots of stuff besides just the big attack.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: December 20, 2018, 02:56:55 pm »

I had an idea of making some temporary powerups that can be introduced in a less intrusive manner than using items - basically just a thing you pick up and it alters you until you touch a tile that removes it.  For example, a jump powerup that you can pick up when entering an area that requires more jumping, or a thing that lets you shoot projectiles.

I think it would be cool if these powerups were pseudo-characters.  Some people or creatures who enter the void become spirits and they can join with you to give you new abilities.  I'm going to design a jump creature of some sort I guess...

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: December 20, 2018, 03:12:10 pm »

Huh, that sounds pretty cool. I like the idea. I’ll have to take a look once the one you are making is complete.

Edit: Some more Lusuria dialogue problems fixed. Someone's name had a typo, a character referred to having done something in one text while specifically having mentioned never having done it elsewhere, etc.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:44:43 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: December 20, 2018, 06:04:31 pm »

I added one Power Spirit, the jump spirit which looks like a small blue rabbit thing and lets you jump as high as a spring jump.  You can give it text when it is picked up and also place invisible blocks that will cause it to fly away when you cross over them, returning to its original position.  It can be carried between rooms and basically functions as a consistent mechanism for worlds that involve platforming.

I'm experiencing a few bugs with saving, sometimes it seems the world will be unable to save because it thinks you're not logged in.  If this happens, open up another tab and this should automatically log you in, allowing you to save in the original tab.  I'm not sure if it's a regular issue or if it's just my computer, so let me know if you encounter this.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: December 20, 2018, 06:05:40 pm »

Neat! I'll have to take a look.

Oh, thanks for the warning. I'll tell you if I see the issue.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Now on Discord!
« Reply #1330 on: December 21, 2018, 06:20:34 am »

I made a Discord server for BoundWorlds!

Here's the link

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds: Kamani made another world. This one's a desert dungeon!
« Reply #1331 on: March 29, 2019, 04:28:15 am »

Hey, I haven't posted here since the Discord server went up, but I wanted to let people know that Kamani made a new world. It's called the Trial of the Great Desert and is a pretty nice example of a world. Characters, hints of a deeper plot, a challenging dungeon with 2 bosses.  Kamani also made the music for the world.

I've also added an experimental feedback system.  If you're logged in, you can leave your thoughts and comments in a world by creating "echoes" in the menu screen.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: BoundWorlds: Kamani made another world. This one's a desert dungeon!
« Reply #1332 on: April 29, 2019, 03:41:03 pm »

PTW, I coincidentally made a forum game with a similar concept once upon a time.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds: New video released!
« Reply #1333 on: August 13, 2019, 02:36:42 pm »

New update video released!
I may do another one that uses voice acting later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjCdRsmHcxk
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90