Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Airships, their building and subsequent blowing up: A game  (Read 15832 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Airships, their building and subsequent blowing up: A game
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2018, 03:32:45 pm »

This game is rad, but I'm struggling to figure myself out a good design.  My cashflow is too low to get anything crazy, balloons are too fragile to really be used by anything that gets in close like how the tutorial showed.  My coat of arms gave me boarders, but my ships seem to be too fragile to actually make that workable, and it seems like if I try to board with more than 1 enemy defense towers they all end up dying.

There's a huge empire to the south that has armored, high-flying ships that seem to specialize in bombing.  The most effective ship I have is a wood zeppelin bomber that flies higher, but it ran into a swarm of like 8 of those things and their rifles managed to shoot it out of the sky, and I don't have the cashflow to really replace it, especially when I'm not sure what would actually be a good counter I could afford.

Advice pls, I guess?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2018, 03:36:53 pm »

I have too many mods. Are miniguns vanilla or only gatlings? Because miniguns fucking wreck (to the point of being OP honestly).

@Farce, what kind of cashflow are you looking at and how expensive are your current designs? To start, it's probably more efficient at the beginning (if you can't make a good, cheap bomber) to just get as many guns on-target at the same time--and I think cannons/swivel cannons/etc. tend to be more effective than rifles.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2018, 03:40:27 pm »

NPCs SEEM to Consider "Cost = Effectiveness" as a valid way to decide if they should attack somewhere or defend their citys ect- Thus With a few REALLY high value buildings and a metric ton of weak but fast ships I can defend any part of my empire by outrunning my neighbours. Even if the biggest weapon those ships have are rams. Even if they barely have fuel.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2018, 04:07:23 pm »

Advice pls, I guess?

research suspendium, then build a steel ship without balloons. still if they have musket as defense you can't just go 1 vs 8

what you could do instead is attack all the city they leave undefended or lightly defended with bombers and pillage those to build more ships. if an ai moves to defend, you can simply target another city and trick them to keep moving left and right while you attack

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2018, 06:55:26 pm »

Remember my flying castle advice from before? I've found that rolling castles are actually great to destroy heavily fortified cities. There was one such city, with dozens of buildings full of riflemen. Twenty riflemen on each side, not exaggerating. I doubt any bomber force would have survived attacking that.  Instead, I brought two rolling fortresses of stone with three heavy cannons each, and supported them with three two-rocket suspendium gunships.  The enemy concentrated fire on the rolling fortressess... to little effect.  Meanwhile, the combined pelting of the six heavy cannons and rocket launchers destroyed one building after another, until the last two surrendered

Btw: I think the surrender thing is a bug.  Game does it because with airships your airship is spared, but this way they just give you defensive structures free of charge
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2018, 03:02:05 am »

Remember my flying castle advice from before? I've found that rolling castles are actually great to destroy heavily fortified cities. There was one such city, with dozens of buildings full of riflemen. Twenty riflemen on each side, not exaggerating. I doubt any bomber force would have survived attacking that.  Instead, I brought two rolling fortresses of stone with three heavy cannons each, and supported them with three two-rocket suspendium gunships.  The enemy concentrated fire on the rolling fortressess... to little effect.  Meanwhile, the combined pelting of the six heavy cannons and rocket launchers destroyed one building after another, until the last two surrendered

Btw: I think the surrender thing is a bug.  Game does it because with airships your airship is spared, but this way they just give you defensive structures free of charge

100% achievements yeah! I kicked some random's ass with my little floaty 199pt ship.

---------

Anyway yeah, landships I found are the best option for attacking heavily defensive positions. You don't even need the spiderlegs. Even just a simple tracked tank would work. That being said when I make a tank for attacking a fortification, I kinda go easy on the cannons. It doesn't seem all that efficient against emplacements for some reason.

What seems to be the best at taking out the AI's buildings are flamethrowers and boarding.

Hell, kamikaze ships work really well against them too. I remember I'd build fire ships and float them over the enemy's buildings for them to crash land and explode over them.

--------

Edit: I just discovered the .gif function, so here's a .gif of how my PvP battle went:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

--------

Edit edit: Apparently the reason why flamethrowers and gatling guns are so strong is because the game's minimum damage dealt is 1. So because of the tremendous rate of fire from those two weapons, you obliterate things when in range even if they are equipping so-called counters against it like steel.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2018, 04:36:07 am »

Is steel wall generally better than wood armor? Both cost the same, but steel wall is lighter and has higher resistances at the cost of lower HP.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2018, 04:46:01 am »

Hahaha man.

I crammed a suspendium generator in the prow of a bomber airship and put one of the statues on the outside and took it into a battle.  Three of those bombers against 4 rocket towers, which was kinda rough.

One bomber got blasted and had its nose shot off, which meant it fell out of the sky because the gen in the prow wasn't helping it anymore.  Meanwhile, the prow and its statue just float there like nothing even happened.  The ship manages to stop before it falls ALL the way, since the other gens are still working, but after like half a minute the prow's gens run out of coal and crashed into the ship's deck.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2018, 05:11:28 am »

Is steel wall generally better than wood armor? Both cost the same, but steel wall is lighter and has higher resistances at the cost of lower HP.
In general? Yes. It kinda depends what weapons you're going up against, but as a general rule wood armor's weight doesn't really match its HP and cost. Theoretically something you could use on buildings or heavy landships.

Resistance is the amount directly subtracted from an incoming damage source, meaning that steel armor is nearly impervious to standard rifle shots, whereas wood armor will get slowly but steadily chipped down. Low resist, high HP platings like wooden armor are more useful against big cannons and the like which can't be fully or mostly resisted via armor resistance anyways, so the larger HP buffer means it can take an extra shot or two before collapsing.

Armor calculations are actually a fair deal more complex than just that, but that's all you really need to think about most of the time. And specifically with airships, lower weight is always preferable, so unless there's a specific benefit that you want from the heavier armor, you'll generally want to stick with a lighter one.

Also, remember that you can specifically plate high-value rooms with a more powerful armor, while using a lighter/cheaper armor for the rest of the ship.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2018, 01:59:25 pm »

Wood armor is slightly better against rifles, muskets, gatling guns, deck guns, and light ramming from ships without actual rams due to higher HP and possibly weight for that last one.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2018, 02:24:02 pm »

The question is what are you armoring? If it's an airship... I almost don't see a reason to doth anything but aluminum or titanium for smaller ships.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2018, 03:39:24 pm »

The question is what are you armoring? If it's an airship... I almost don't see a reason to doth anything but aluminum or titanium for smaller ships.
You are playing with mods man, you got to mention you are playing with mods.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2018, 03:48:01 pm »

(I'm playing with mods)

Isn't aluminum/Titanium Vanilla?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »

No the nations that are technologically equivalent with the era of steam ships and iron-clads don't have access to large amounts of aluminum, let alone titanium.

Dragonhide, magical crystals and biplanes, yes.  Metals that require advanced refining, no.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »

In my day, we equipped light aircraft with wooden paneling.

We put the shed back into bloodshed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11