Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Airships, their building and subsequent blowing up: A game  (Read 15811 times)

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airships, their building and subsequent blowing up: A game
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »

Played it for a few hours. Very nicely polished for alpha. Worth the five dollars several times over. Had some great fun experimenting with different balances and learning about what is and is not good ship design.
Had the same experience, quite fun, the many hours i played messing around with ship designs till i finally won the campaign was well worth 5 bucks.

The way the game's campaign works coupled with the airship design reminds me of stardrive a lot. If you like the game and want something else to play while waiting for this to be less alpha, check that out maybe.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 02:41:03 am »

Buying it because the Starks had a hard enough time recently, get them Lanisters for me.

Alright, played it a bunch today and while its certainly fun, its missing a lot so far, like...

-Weapons don't feel like they have weight, kickback and so on - the cannonball flys like the rifle round, rifle round has no trail/flys suprisingly slow for a bullet~
-Weapons per airship are utterly limited by its Y height. Needs motars, bombs, things that can be placed elsewhere
-Damage;

-Fire is the thing that always kills the ships/builders, even if they are made out of anti-fire-moduels
-Damage is placed nearly randromly anywhere on the ship - its pointless to build a strong front, since bullets will go where the please, ignoring any ships before it and so on - might be more fun if they are somewhat limited, like bullets can hit the front (mostly) and maybe go up to 5 titles beyond (add a little bullet hit something spark you don't notice them normally), cannonballs could act more typically - maybe creating a dynamic we know and love from mechwarrior where the big guns rip the hole open and the small guns hurt the stuff inside (people!)

People!

-They don't have personality yet, dwarf fortress is so special because every dwarf is his own man - maybe just make them look differently, slightly?
-God would I ever love harrponning, deckfights, deployable inf-squads, various "skill" levels of crew that rank up after fights, a Captain special unit with special commands (or just bonus around him).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:48:03 am by ThtblovesDF »

Zarkonnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 10:18:06 am »

Hey ThtblovesDF,

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Weapon "juiciness" (kickback, animation, etc.) is definitely lacking at the moment. It's something I plan to work on later in development. There's going to be a pretty lengthy phase of just polishing the UI, fine-tuning things, and adding little touches to the graphics.

As for fire, yeah, it's currently too dangerous. That's getting tuned down in the next early access release. It'll still be a danger of course, but should no longer be the single dominant reason for ships to be destroyed!

I definitely like your idea of making the people look more varied. I might do an approach where there are a bunch of heads, upper bodies, and lower bodies to combine. (Eye patches, peg legs, hooks!)

Finally, ship boarding is going to be the major focus of the early access release after next. In fact, the logo already contains a reference to it (the dangling guy with the harpoon gun), so I had better put it in.  ;D

Oh, and ship commanders are something I want to try out. It's a question of making sure they make the gameplay more interesting without unbalancing it. :)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:02 am »

Thanks for the reply : )

You might want to add two different views, a outside view so you can observe the damage. I feel like I'm missing a few infos that I'd love to have at a glance, like;

Crew:     Alive/Total
Ammo:    Current/Total
Structure: Current/ possible-to-restore-with-repair-tools (like a light-red if your doing bars - imagine the "recovery area" from street fighter) / total

________-

Aftercombat could also use some love, I for one would love if "crashed" parts of a ship can be recoevered and then used for very minimal fee, it would encourage using parts you don't normally use, strange ships build from leftovers and "carrying" the enemy to the ground to recover more.

_____-

Oh awesome, ship "parts" can still fight and fly on there own!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:07:27 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 10:52:27 am »

If I had money, I'd be throwing it at the screen.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »

If I had money, I'd be throwing it at the screen.
Same.  Stupid gift card only has three dollars on it.  Not 5. 

Zarkonnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:28:43 am »

There's a shiny new version out, mostly focusing on stability and UI things, but also adding some huge new modules like a targeting computer and a repair bay. The next version's going to focus on adding some new mechanics like boarding. :D

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 08:41:40 pm »

Bought it!

A pretty major issue is that grenades are OP unless your opponents have rockets. I beat the game with a fleet of Frogs (Toads with grenade launchers).
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Zarkonnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »

Bought it!

A pretty major issue is that grenades are OP unless your opponents have rockets. I beat the game with a fleet of Frogs (Toads with grenade launchers).

Hee, Frogs. I'm surprised you say you find rockets to be a good counter - so far, feedback on rockets has been that they're just plain useless. Grenades OTOH... yeah, probably a bit OP.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 11:54:14 am »

There have been some updates, still quite the fun game. (Updates at: http://zarkonnen.com/airships )

Zarkonnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:14 am »

So there's been a new update involving flamethrowers:

Also, I've put the game into Steam Greenlight, and have come here to blatantly beg for upvotes, because I need a lot of them!

Of course the game will continue to be developed independent of whether it gets into Greenlight, it would simply be good to have Steam as a distribution channel.

Zarkonnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 01:50:09 am »

Assuming there's continued interest, there's a new update with boarding combat. :)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 04:03:15 am »

The game looks sweet and I enjoy reading the updates! Thanks for keeping us updated, even though there's little response :)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 05:05:39 am »

Definitely checking the thread, the game has interesting concept. Please keep on posting. :D
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11