Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Airships, their building and subsequent blowing up: A game  (Read 15787 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Airships, their building and subsequent blowing up: A game
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 05:19:29 am »

I'm surprise this hasn't received more attention. I've only seen two videos but for something that is basically an alfa (as I understand it), this game looks pretty damn FUN. And it's cheap.

Definitely following this, up-voted it on Greenlight already and I'll probably buy it soon.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 06:04:39 am »

Do the airship actually have baloon? They look like flying wooden box there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 06:07:32 am »

Nope, they use "Suspendium", some crystal-like thing I wager suspends them. :D

There is a Suspendium powder chamber or something like that that does look like a balloon though. Also, Sails are in, IIRC?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:00 am »

PTW! Hey GMguy, need some help with spriting? I'd love to contribute!

Zarkonnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 01:41:07 pm »

So if you were here four years ago, you may remember this post I'm now resurrecting. I was making a game about steampunk airships. This game is now complete!

It's available on Steam, GOG, and itch.io, 20% off for the launch week.

Here's a bunch of the cool stuff the game now contains:

Massive explosive aerial battles.

Free-form ship design where you're not limited to some fixed layout.

Giant sky squid that eat your crew, dragons, murder robots, and other monsters.

Multiplayer map conquest. (A long-requested feature.)

A tech tree.

Grappling hooks.

And so on. :) As you can see, DF has definitely been one of the influences, along with Cortex Command and FTL: Faster than Light.

So if you've been following the game since it's early days, thanks for sticking around, and if you've just heard of it for the first time, give it a try.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 03:12:04 pm »

Whoops, guess I resurrected the wrong thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Regardless, this is indeed good fun. Kudos for pulling through to 1.0. The design UI feels a tad clunky, and I'd recommend defaulting to 'small' instead of 'medium' UI sizing, but otherwise I've got just about nothing but compliments. The tradeoffs in design work well for me with good room for experimentation, and steam workshop integration is great. Lot of good ambience as Urist McScoopbeard pointed out in the other thread - the campaign map in particular works quite well.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 04:01:34 am »

So 1.0 is out, eh? Congrats, the game's always been good for some mayhem and destruction.

Have larger vessels been balanced out a bit, or is the "swarm of gnats" strategy still top of the heap?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 11:43:28 am »

Great game. I got it from Humble Bundle, but I´m having issues with the Steam key (They gave me like, three different ones. None work. I´m requesting support, but so far no cigar solving the issue :(  At least I have the humble version to play). Conquest mode is a blast. Simplistic, yet surprisingly enough  it makes you think and go back to the drawing board.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2018, 04:49:54 pm »

Spam rockets of your own. Rockets are ridiculously effective.

More practically, to bring their rocket ships down, use gattling ships at close quarters.

I guess that in theory heavy blast armor should provide effective protection. Key word is in theory. I´m spamming rocket towers of my own, and the computer is sending better ships against me... which does have an effect, but I still blow them off the sky more often than not.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2018, 08:50:09 pm »

Ugh, I forgot how fun it is fiddle with ship design in this game--so many different design philosophies, and trying to build coherent fleet... a worthy challenge.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2018, 08:55:50 pm »

So, I was raiding some bandits, and as it happens, one of my zeppelins was brought down just as I blew them up. So I got the hilarious view of seeing the panicked messages from the crew as they were heading downwards... and once they were down a "good job lads"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2018, 03:24:12 am »

So, I was raiding some bandits, and as it happens, one of my zeppelins was brought down just as I blew them up. So I got the hilarious view of seeing the panicked messages from the crew as they were heading downwards... and once they were down a "good job lads"
Any landing you can jump cut away from is a good landing.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2018, 01:45:10 pm »

Man, here's my most successful design--alone it can go toe to toe with a lot of vessels, but it really shines in a fleet role. Its surprising amount of deck space and armored undercarriage have let me put a pretty wide array of variants into service. It's medium cost is mostly justified, though the fact that the helicopter blade assembly can't be armored heavily enough has lead to occasional disappointment against other high-flying vessels.

I want to do a mark two redesign, but... the space is pretty much maxed out and it's already getting pretty pricey. I have a heavily armored variant that is nearly double the cost.

The only thing left is to see how these do in the campaign (along with my light, low-flying ship).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »

cute little boat :D

> pricey

well for endgame it's common to spam 3.5k vessels, so there's that.

command every 14 sec is something you might want to look into with a second bridge somewhere

what mod is the pieces on top, the hospital etc from?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:04:14 pm by LoSboccacc »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 02:05:31 pm »

I remember making a ship a few versions ago that, if I remember correctly, cost less than $60 to make. Basically just a flying shed with an angry hillbilly sticking out the window.

Was far more effective than it had any right to be. Main problems were anything with a certain level of armor, and the fact that they were so cheap that most point classes ended up saturating your side of the battlefield, resulting in a lot of collateral losses from overcrowding.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11