Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to not get owned by sewer criminals?  (Read 1076 times)

The Cafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to not get owned by sewer criminals?
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »

When I play adventure mode, I always do pretty well, having no trouble with bandits, vampires, night creatures, etc. However, whenever I go to the catacombs or sewers in the cities, all the criminals appears to be really good at killing you. Usually, since I'm the first of my companions to enter through doors or trapdoors (because they don't do it automatically), if there are criminals waiting at the door or staircase, then I'll get The Elf Lasher lashes You in the upper right back teeth with her bronze whip and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Swordsman slashes You in the left upper arm with his bronze long sword, but the attack is deflected by Your -®copper mail shirt¯-!
The flying bronze bolt strikes You in the lower body, tearing the muscle and tearing the pancreas through the llama wool cloak!
The bronze bolt has lodged firmly in the wound!
Is there a way to stop this?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: How to not get owned by sewer criminals?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:58:59 pm »

You can Sneak before entering each room, a bit distracting, but works for a moment.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:18:50 am »

Sneaking. I usually sneak all my walkings, just to train it up. Eventually you can safely sneak pretty safely to rooms filled with sewer criminals without them noticing you.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:19:53 am »

Well, dungeons are really fun to explore. Your companions CAN enter by themselves, by the way. Just get them close to the door and wait a bit. Poor fellow will get all the arrows for you.

Another variant - to become like, really badass. Myself, I specialize in cleaning sewers and dungeons for endless fun (not so endless when every master-level bandit is dead). Even got a decent party of legendaries by going through an endless massacre.

Also, copper armor? You was not ready for severs yet. Get iron and and train armor user on bandits for speed.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:24:59 pm »

Something that was yet to be answered is the sheer might of the necromancer animation powers. With them (and a room full of dead bodies, something catacombs are most likely to have, although I do see them often in dungeons), you can quickly baffle your opponents with shear numbers.

Dungeons and other cramped spaces are good places to get other people to come with you and not to solo (this is however an opinion). Preferably, try not to go down hatches. Why? Because hatches usually are over the main base of operations for the dungeon boss. Also, they bar you from seeing down, which is a downer, since you can't measure your opponent's strength. So, whenever possible, face them at the same level.

Sneaking is good for a tonne of things, as if you remain unnoticed, you can keep throwing stuff at them. Just yesterday I managed to kill a swamp titan with a pebble. Single shot also... Not to give much more on sneaking, but once they give in to pain (as in, unconscious) you can pretty much waltz near them and cleave their heads.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:46:22 pm »

The cheesy way is to have very very high sneaking

The simple way to even out the odds is to back step in a tunnel so the enemies are funneled and not stacking on top of each other

The Cafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:18:13 pm »

Well, dungeons are really fun to explore. Your companions CAN enter by themselves, by the way. Just get them close to the door and wait a bit. Poor fellow will get all the arrows for you.

Another variant - to become like, really badass. Myself, I specialize in cleaning sewers and dungeons for endless fun (not so endless when every master-level bandit is dead). Even got a decent party of legendaries by going through an endless massacre.

Also, copper armor? You was not ready for severs yet. Get iron and and train armor user on bandits for speed.

I suppose that waiting works, but they never seem to enter the trapdoors.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 07:58:25 am »

Sneak into room.

Use legendary throwing to kill them all with a thong.

Take their loot.

Move on.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:36 pm »

Go to an evil biome, find odd colored gas, jump in, become husk. Voila. Granted, now EVERYTHING will try and kill you, but, hey, you're tough enough to kill the world.
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.