Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: GreedyLittleBastards. A ☼Masterwork Multi-verse in 4i☼  (Read 8749 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: GreedyLittleBastards. A ☼Masterwork Multi-verse in 4i☼
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2014, 05:01:48 pm »

Mwahaha...Bwahahaha... HAHAHA!

I will take over the child, and then work towards killing that no-good wife of mine. I will bring doom upon the fort if I have to, I would open the circus, I'd go zombie. All else is of no importance, SHE MUST DIE!!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:28 pm »

Okay wait, does this multiverse thing make the turn list invalid? Should I just like start now?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 05:13:58 pm »

Okay wait, does this multiverse thing make the turn list invalid? Should I just like start now?

Exactly!  You take a turn from whichever save you want to play a branch of "might have been".  If you're successful enough, your "might have been" becomes the main timeline.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »

This is plummeling into chaos faster than even I expected.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:50 pm »

This is plummeling into chaos faster than even I expected.

Really? It's gotten to the point where I enter a started thread expecting it to already be in chaos.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 06:27:44 pm »

I see no chaos... What I see is PRISTINE ORDER!

\\~..~//
 | O  a |
 | ~!~ |
  \^^ /
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:41:39 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 06:40:13 pm »

()    ()
   0 0
  >..<
    []  ~`
  '''  '''

(Just for fun)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:04 pm »

I'm downloading Jimboo's save now, I'll probably get started sometime this evening.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 08:49:09 am »

Posting a year’s worth of GLB at once wasn’t my best idea but a fritzy laptop = no choice.  The multi-verse option could be several people posting alternates simultaneously (Meph’s chaos scenario) or year-end summations for comparison.  Either way could work.  The thread could also have “sub-threads” of What’s Going On in Your (Alternate) Fort and Alt-Game Questions, like this one:
In RL jimboo’s personal game continuation into year 76, the woodworkers went on strike in late Spring.  For whatever reason, wood cutters just stopped cutting wood and carpenters stopped making cages, making it very hard to keep up with changing out all those traps.  I’ve never seen that happen before, not sure what’s causing it.  Has something like this happened to anyone else?  Stone haulers also seem to not be building walls any more, everything else is working normally.  (Dye SackPlate is the new Baroness, her fiancée jimboo is set for life; that life, anyways.)

What I like best about community forts is seeing how other people do things.  I’m a “builder” so I started first to get the basics up for others to then take over: the first couple of years are always just getting things ready for the fun parts anyhow.  I’ve never built a minecart trap that’s actually worked but Grimmash has and I’m interested to see the variation he comes up with here when it’s his play.  ☼Cathedral☼ had Armok’s Hammer (Talanic) to deal with large numbers of undead; didn’t work as planned but a good idea.  Combining that with the mechanics of a magma elevator and ramps could be some variant of the “drop a mountain on ‘em” idea for our many Elephants. 

LMeire, you have the save so if you post normal-wise, yours will be the ‘offical’ timeline.  Subject to consensus change if something else better comes along, as posted previously.  I don’t envision that happening very often, more as a variation on the “everybody died, let’s restart from the previous save” that most forts use.  But it *could* develop into several forts running simultaneously and they wouldn’t necessarily have to synchronize.  If it should ever go that route, the fortress would be immortal but keeping track of things might be a real hassle.  TBob seems to have a knack for that sort of thing so maybe he could be dragooned into Over-overseer of multiple and simultaneous timelines.  Or maybe we’ll all just dig along straightforward and normal-like.  The multiverse is an interesting idea for injecting other interesting ideas into the on-going fortress.  This is much too wordy, I’m going to go have another cup of coffee --         
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 09:50:15 am »

Good god, we have already gone completely off the rails :).  I think I'll wait to fork the save until after my move at least.  Although it could be fun to do the whole parallel fortress thing.  It is nice to both have more time to play and more in game time.  We would get a really good idea of player's style that way.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:56 am »

I’ve never seen that happen before, not sure what’s causing it.  Has something like this happened to anyone else? 

Nevermind.  I was playing from the d/l’d save and not continuously; the civilian alert was broken and setting it back to normal inactive left the dwarves restricted to “Inside Warren” and the trees designating for cutting were outside.  I sent a PM to LMeire about it.  I had checked the save before posting the link but didn’t notice that.  If anyone else is going to play from that save, the only other significant changes are the surface orthoclase bridge lever isn’t working and two floor hatches over the eastern downstairs to the Butcher Shop have disappeared.  (Plans were for a mass pit to recycle cages, flushing from the brook.)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 05:15:10 pm »

Ah, that would explain the sudden lack of available logs; I'll correct it when I can.

--Storytime--

My name is LMeire Shack, and I'm an animal dissector. I've always loved peeling the skin off of creatures and seeing how they tick, how their muscles interlock and work with their bones. I also love to to illustrate and detail my findings for both pleasure and scientific inquiry. I do not love mussels.

When I first heard of this place, it was described as a luxurious safe-haven for entrepreneurs and scholars alike. A mountain of untold riches where gold and silver flowed like wine and all were welcome to the wealth so long as they could earn it themselves. I had heard that any with an interest to do so was free to join any guild of their choosing, free of charge; and I knew then, this place was the home of my destiny, I would travel to (Forgot ingame name) and become a professional surgeon of the Healer's Guild. It was the perfect excuse to cut people open for fun way to use my skills without going to the hammerer for the people! Plus, nobody here knows who I am so it's unlikely that they'll see me as the lunatic that framed Dagger McAlwaysfriendlytoeveryone like they did back in Murderkilldeathtown it's like a fresh start free from the stigmas of my "useless" hobby. New home, new job, new name, new wife. (If you'd've met her you'd understand why she I had to go.)

My first experience of the fortress was being informed that I was a stoneworker now. No "hello"s, no "how do you do"s, just "here's a pile of bricks, there's where we're putting the wall, get to work!". It wasn't hard, of course, I am a dwarf, afterall; but the vision of (name) that I had in my head and the reality of the grueling workcamps to which I had been assigned just didn't match up. Eventually, I worked up the courage to address my concerns with the manager/bookkeeper/overseer that seemed to run things despite the presence of a mayor; I guess it sort of worked, 'cause he immediately assigned me to stone detailing after hearing that I like to make art. I still had to stack bricks though.

One day I didn't have to stack bricks anymore. I was wandering around while on break when I guess I wandered into the right room as the Jimboo was there, leaning on a barrel of the good stuff while bemoaning the responsibilities that came with holding 3 different clerical positions to the mayor and liaison, who were also there. The manager/bookkeeper/overseer was so distraught that he declared that the first person he saw other than them would have to take some of the load off of him. They had noticed me by this point and started to warn against this but the moment he glanced at me from the corner of his eye it was an official succession with both a fortress official and the King's emissary to witness it. So I'm overseer now.

The first thing I did as overseer was to take myself off of the hauling and masonry duties, while assigning myself to butchery, bone carving, animal dissection, and fish dissection. The manager/bookkeeper looked at me rather strangely at that order so I explained that fish and small animals were so wholly different that taking them apart required different jobs, he didn't look too convinced for some reason.

The second thing I did was order some 90 or so cages to be completed, as the screams of "CANNOT LOAD EMPTY CAGE TRAP!!!" from the mechanics was starting to give me a headache.

My third order was to wall off some of the gates, as I couldn't think of a reason we would need to pull seven different levers each time we were attacked, especially if we were going to be attacked by elephants on a regular basis.

I was about to order a fourth when there was a commotion outside, other than the mechanics, who still had no cages. Thieves! Oh just glorious, it had been a while since I'd been able to cut open a kobold; the moleweasel kits were a close second but was just something about the skulkers that really delighted the senses, cutting up a kobold was almost as fascinating as cutting up a real person!. I had gotten outside just in time to see him drown in one of the courtyard pools- these were no kobolds.

His surviving cohort, a worldender, snuck out through a gap in our wall that everyone in the masonry work crew thought I was going to do. Whoops. They were pursued by a pair of guards and later caught in a cage trap, so it was fine. We'll have to drain that pool some time though, bifrost is a terrible thing to waste.

After that excitement, I took a stroll to abuse my privileged as overseer to examine some of our fort's most valuable treasures, among the usual treasures was this newer addition:

Fascinating.

Suddenly there was a cry from one of our sentries: "What in Oblivion is that?!?"

Oh for the love of...
I briefly considered closing the gates, until the monster swooped up a dozen z-levels and began flying circles around the northern edge of our forests. Obviously, closing the gates wouldn't affect much.

I was in the middle of saying my prayers and wondering how far I'd be able to run from this gold-baited death-trap if I ordered everyone to distract it, when the same sentry informed me that the dragon had bloodily dismembered several of our civilians too dumb to stay out of sight. My curiosity piqued in a wish to decipher the beast's behavior and get it to leave peacefully, I asked the sentry which ones had died and how. He didn't want to answer at first but eventually I gleaned that the following had occurred:

The unobservant fool traumatized hero failed to properly describe how the tissues appeared after being doused in acid save the child, but I'm sure after we weather this assault that there will be plenty of research material patients for my new practice.

--

I've never actually gotten a dragon before, do they eventually go away? Or am I gonna have to move everything underground until I've got a decent military to kill/trap it with?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The naming of names and how to build a better elephant trap
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2014, 10:09:57 pm »

Alternate Timeline for year 76 summary as follows:

With a bit of work, the entire population of the fortress has been renamed according to the following rules:

If Baby or Child, (parents unknown), nickname changed to "Young Mr./Little Miss."
If Baby or Child, (parents known), nickname changed to "Young Mr. <surname>/Young Miss. <surname>"
If single and adult, (parents unknown), nickname changed to "Mr./Miss."
If single and adult, (parents known), nickname changed to "Mr. <surname>/Miss. <surname>"
If married, nickname becomes 'Mr./Mrs <surname' , using the following rules:

Surname rules:
1) Player named
2) Parent surname
3) The nobility
4) Guild membership
5) The most owned items
6) The most levels of skills combined
7) All else being equal, the female

"Middle name" additions:
Slain named entity + "bane" or named artifact constructed
(ie: 'Mr. Stone Akabashibane' Rimterror')
   or
('Mr. Stone Lensdagger' Rimterror)

This has the added benefit of allowing a name "s"earch on the jobs menu for all the "Mr.", "Miss." and "Mrs." in the fortress at a glance without having to check each and every individual for relationship statuses.

The "Trench" and "Demon" families (both recently related to a common ancestor) have the most family within the Fortress, and many other kin still yet to emigrate.  I suspect they may become the ruling caste of merchants here rather quickly if the fortress survives another generation or two.

The north passage has become the main path into the fortress with one slight change in structure: two, 1x15 paralell trenches, 10 levels deep, just inside each wall, border a weapon trap lined passage.  Enemies attempting to path into the fortress are either slain where they stand or dodge off the path to a 10 level drop into the waiting oubliette.  Any who survive the fall will attempt to path through "the endless passage" - bridges over pits that lead by a deeper passage back to the oubliette, activated fore and aft by pressure plates at each junction.  Invaders will pass around and around, until all sustain fatal head wounds or are slain by newer "visitors".

Such a setup can harm dwarves who stray upon the bridges while enemies remain alive, but unless the captives can fly, this keeps them away from bothering the fortress above and requires very little management besides infrequent maintenance.

Ah yes - this last gift of golden swords has led to a baron being chosen, but this is immaterial - for some reason, the game crashes when I attempt to re-load the game.

Here is the save, if anyone can open it.  Such a pity if not.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8520
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:52:26 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2014, 10:25:57 pm »

TBob seems to have a knack for that sort of thing so maybe he could be dragooned into Over-overseer of multiple and simultaneous timelines.

Timeline legend:
"Real" timeline
Possible alternate timelines
Destroyed/Abandoned/Game Crash alternate timelines

(link to this page from the lead-in page), I'll edit this comment out when the link goes up.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:47:29 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Timelines
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:32 pm »

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:43:18 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6