Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: GreedyLittleBastards. A ☼Masterwork Multi-verse in 4i☼  (Read 8735 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: GreedyLittleBastards. A ☼Masterwork Multi-verse in 4i☼
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

There is a lot of “I need an empty cage!” spam, isn’t there?  But green glass works and if you dig around near the previously exposed veins of coal, there’s plenty more.  Dragonfire is impressive but dragons themselves are the glass cannons of DF.  There are some decent copper javelin throwers and those fancy steel javelins from the humans, try to wing ‘im.  And who knows?  There’s a roc in one of those cages, it was flying around and they’re just as large as dragons.  You might use one of the Trade Licenses to stock up dragonscale for shields; I ordered netherwood, it nether came. 

TBob: I haven’t got my head fully around it yet but that still seems like a complicated system.  I like the idea of genealogy but it’d be lots simpler to just pick a few key families and name the children as they arrive.  But we’ll see how things develop. 

In my own alternate reality GLB game, I thought we were set militarily for anything coming.  I was wrong.  :)  But the dwarves don’t seem to mind, just closing up to train another batch and fix up the place with jewels in the meantime.   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2014, 03:20:14 am »

The wyvern decided to land on our side of the walls, where he was promptly dispatched by tuskoxen. Basically, they somehow knocked him over and gored him until he bled to death. only 3 dwarves died in the attack, none of them appear to have been particularly important. Unfortunately, every time I try to continue the game past this point, it crashes; (I'd say it was fps, but I've been hovering at 40-30, so I dunno.) so my alternate universe's probably done. Shame, I really wanted to dig into the chemistry and biology labs.

In other, previous news that I forgot to mention due to the dragon attack: the elephant "civilization" isn't actually at war with anyone (except for the humans), so I've been selling their cages to drow and dwarves in exchange for golems, turrets and various weapons both animated and not. Since they're not at war and technically qualify as wild animals, the merchant guards don't try to kill them like they do caged goblins. (Either that, or the elephants are so big that they don't die before I can sell them. Either way, it's still a quick way to turn them into money.) I bought three golems and a changeling breeder for just two invaders. Only downside is that the damn things are so heavy they risk making the wagon too heavy to leave, so selling off invaders takes a little extra balancing beyond the price negotiating.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8525
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:58:27 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2014, 03:26:57 am »

Post it!  The best we can do is explore legends mode to see who or what did which and how.  Why?  'cause its fun.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2014, 06:35:12 am »

Unfortunately, every time I try to continue the game past this point, it crashes; (I'd say it was fps, but I've been hovering at 40-30, so I dunno.) so my alternate universe's probably done. Shame, I really wanted to dig into the chemistry and biology labs.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8525

Bummer. 

That keeps happening even from scum saves from your previous season?
Well, upload your last viable save and let’s have a look.  That’s a low FPS; in jimboo’s alt reality, it didn’t drop to the 30s until there were more than 150 filled cages and 200+ other animals.  In earlier releases, all that was needed for a legendary skill boost was a changeling and a Book of Summoning; now, it takes 20-something souls butchered at nearly the same time.  If there’s a better way, somebody please chime in – thanks. 
In alt-year 6, we’re back up to 80 dwarves but for awhile it was ‘Amazon fortress’ – nearly every male had been a tusk casualty.  Head Chef and manager jimboo is still in his long-term engagement to the Baroness Dye SackPlate but when the ♀:♂ ratio was 5:1, he kept begging the migrant Apostles' indulgence to set up some polygamy arrangement but they were all steadfast to Armok’s hardcoded monogamy.   

Selling War Elephants: heavy, yes, and priced at 5K each.  But did you look at the Great Bulls and longhorn cows?  They’re even bigger (DFHack, unit-info-viewer) and priced at 30K.   Each.  That can buy out entire caravans and you really only need to do that once to have enough bloodsteel, steel and mithril ‘anythings’ in the quantum stockpile Depot to trade for anything with anybody.  Sometimes the Drow also come with enough wagons to hold the weight but I’ve been ordering from the dwarves highest priority on magnetite, hematite, aluminum and platinum-bearing rock and the surprisingly heavy zinc and copper cages; that always gives capacity for at least two Bulls. 
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »

Hmm.  The save you linked runs at 124 FPS on my old laptop – were you referencing numbers from farther along in the season?  Anything specific you think might cause a crash? 

Just comments:
- Putting the animal/elephant stockpile right next to the Depot was a good idea, much better for trading than the way mine was set up. 
- Why did you wall off the bloodsteel bridge, east entry?  There are only two non-trapped ways into the inner courtyard and having more than one gives some options for moving invaders around, exit for sieged caravans and the like.  It’s not like the levers aren’t marked.   :)  Granted, all those traps are a shoddy way to deal with the problem.
- Oddly, it seems the DFHack history didn’t carry over.  Normally, that’s how it’s obvious that “oh yeah, so-and-so has been using reveal.exe.  A lot.”  But in the save, it’s the default Meph 4i, not even showing all my deathcause, digv and unit-info-viewer entries.
- Your save still has invader skills set to 2; maybe somebody wants to try at the default, zero?  Still, a fortress needs *some* challenge, right?   8)
- The upload or the DFFD site has some malware, nothing serious but several advertising-type toolbar hijackers.  Hard to tell which.  Speaking of malware,

It’s been almost a week since Heartbleed was discovered and announced and that’s plenty of time for the major websites to have fixed the SSL open door.  But that means it’s also been a couple of days for jerks to know how to exploit it.  For anyone that hasn’t yet redone their passwords, here’s a link that’s better than most for explaining just why this is so serious.  So far, it seems only the NSA has been using it but nothing anybody can do about that.  In my case, not only the bank that I use but my credit cards were vulnerable. (!)

From How-To-Geek:
http://www.howtogeek.com/186735/htg-explains-what-the-heartbleed-bug-is-and-why-you-need-to-change-your-passwords-now/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:17:10 am by jimboo »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »

In order:

It always crashed somewhere between the siege clean-up operations and the next caravan. My framerate issues might be a hardware problem, as I've been needing to disassemble my PC to clean but haven't had the time. There's enough dust on the outside alone to build at least 3 bunnies.

Thank you.

I dislike having more than one non-trapped entrance without rigging them all to the same lever for easy lockdown, I've way too many doomsdays take hold simply because nobody could be bothered to pull more than one lever at the same time. I suppose I could've added a "total lockdown" lever myself, but I'd much rather the mechanics busy themselves with reloading the cage traps and by the time they finished that, the wyvern showed up.

I don't use most utilities beyond the automatic functions anyway. DT's enough for me.

Eh, if it get's too hard future oversees can just turtle up. They'd lose trade for a bit, but a decent economy can power through that no problem.

I'll run Malwarebytes and give that site a look for now, thanks for the info.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2014, 07:16:04 am »

Yeah, clean out the bunnies.   :)
I played it for more than a year just to see and, no problems, FPS remains over 100.  Also,
mea culpa – the minor adware wasn’t in your upload but in the homepage I use.  Odd, that. 

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2014, 09:25:01 am »

Proactive post: I will be MIA until at least May 1, as I am moving in the most complicated way possible.  The shortest move of my life is the most logistically complicated, go figure.  So good luck and godspeed, you dwarven madmen!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Timelines
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 12:28:01 am »

74-76 Link
76-76a Link
76-76b <a href="www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137530.msg5179194#msg5179194">Link[/url]

Formatting Grrrrrr!
< / a > randomly changed to "[/url]"...

I've isolated the crash bug!  It comes from having too many caged invaders loaded at the same time! (Also, how the heck do you turn off the auto-population of wooden cage jobs?  I erase them all and with a "poof" more get qued... very annoying not being able to get rid of "need cage" spam...)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:12:07 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A last ditch effort...
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2014, 02:24:31 am »

In the Winter of '76 the war elephants once again came in force, trumpeting their terrible cries and stampeding towards either gate.  A dozen got in with a human caravan and kept the sentry golems busy while the other gate was attacked by no less than four groups of twenty... Every cage was instantly filled, but that was not enough to turn such a terrible tide - more came through the trapped passage before the bridges could be raised, because by then the remaining five of that first dozen were wreaking terrible harm on the Depot and the merchants of the three trading caravans there.  Where once stood a bastion of riches and glory, swarming with dwarves of all ages, now the remaining population was exactly four.

As Mayor of the beleaguered Greedybeards, Sabre Organizepick attempted one final solution:  She would venture to the stream and the slag shine emplaced there, to see if she could learn the secrets of the slabs within, then re-take the fortress with her new-found power.  It was her final, forlorn hope to stave off the end of Greedybeards just one more year, though all the founders and most of the hopeful migrants had perished in the constant onslaught.  All for naught, all for naught - she was able to rush by a goblin being stomped to death only to find her end upon the end of an angry tusk, mere steps from the doors to the shrine.  Greedybeards no longer belonged to the dwarves - not until it could be retaken once again from the Ford of Folds...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8529
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:40:03 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A last ditch effort...
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2014, 03:40:48 am »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2014, 08:08:04 am »

Are you sure the number of caged invaders is causing the crash?  It lowers FPS to be sure, but it doesn’t crash on my eight-year-old laptop.  In jimboo’s alt-verse, it’s now Year Nine, waiting around for Grimm’s Merry-Go-Round or for you or someone else to come up with a better solution than a zillion cage traps.  The “I can’ do it, need an empty cage” spam is pretty annoying, without question.  Three glassworks can mostly keep up, though, and at least the message spam is mostly SoundSense-less.  The only way I know to turn off the auto-load would be to disable Mechanic on every dwarf but I haven’t found that necessary.   

I tried a Mass Pit, following the Wiki page directions: “with six hatches you can empty out 48 cages very quickly, without spooking dwarves, which is enough for many people.”  Not even close.  So I expanded it.  Then expanded it again.  It was starting to look ridiculous and still wasn’t big enough so I chucked it and built a Massive Mass Pit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

88 trap hatches allowing for 248 cages.  It’s over a same-size room with floodgates and wall grates, draining offscreen South.  There are a half-dozen butcher shops and tanners down there to train military and stock up on meat and leather with a few selective animals before The Big One.  The purple guys are Voracious Cave Crawler mounts from a Goblin seige, even one of which can rip up a fully-armored squad of trainees (lesson learned the hard way).  FPS runs in the 30s after invasion action stops but before recycling cages and with still 150+ animals (breeding too fast, got away from me, is the main drain on FPS), 96 remaining dwarves in this alt-year, about 130 in tombs and coffins.     
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2014, 01:11:46 pm »

I played around with different concepts and pitting/autopitting the caged invaders was the only time it stopped crashing.  I dunno... if the jimboo alt-universe is able to get it past year 79, then cool - we use that one as the "Main" timeline once you post the save.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2014, 12:59:50 am »

(Also, how the heck do you turn off the auto-population of wooden cage jobs?  I erase them all and with a "poof" more get qued... very annoying not being able to get rid of "need cage" spam...)

It's a work order with the job manager, I ordered 90 of them 'cause I figured that'd be enough to hold off invaders until I could get a decent trap set up. To turn it off you got to go into the (j)obs screen, then the job (m)anager, and then you should see a list of all the job orders; I'm pretty sure you cancel them by highlighting one and pressing (d). Although I have to wonder what makes you think having less cages will solve the cage shortage...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:10:03 am by LMeire »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2014, 01:17:46 am »

(Also, how the heck do you turn off the auto-population of wooden cage jobs?  I erase them all and with a "poof" more get qued... very annoying not being able to get rid of "need cage" spam...)

It's a work order with the job manager, I ordered 90 of them 'cause I figured that'd be enough to hold off invaders until I could get a decent trap set up. To turn it off you got to go into the (j)obs screen, then the job (m)anager, and then you should see a list of all the job orders; I'm pretty sure you cancel them by highlighting one and pressing (d). Although I have to wonder what makes you think having less cages will solve the cage shortage...
If there is no wood for cages, and no chance of wood due to invaders being outside, then all of the "need cage" spam erases any other notifications like fights, missing persons and whatever else.  Besides, a 20 square weapon trapped path between deep trenches automatically gets rid of all non-trapavoid creatures as they are either slain by the trap, or dodge into the pit to avoid them.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6