Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's get paranoid, in XCOM: Enemy Within!  (Read 4851 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Re: Let's get paranoid, in XCOM: Enemy Within!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:05 pm »

April Report
27th of April, 2015:

April has been a busy month, not only did the aliens increased the intensity of their attacks but they also increased the frequency. I thought that with so many incursions repelled, and with us being so close to the end of the month it would be unthinkable that they could throw yet another spanner in the works.

But it would seem I had drastically underestimated their commitment to foiling our plans. Operation Rotting Stroke (… I really need to have a word with the administration staff who keep coming up with these names) was the result.

However, despite the otherwise ominous operation name, Rotting Stroke seemed to progress well. Although I had instructed our troops to incapacitate any alien soldiers they could in hopes that we could recover some of the more fragile technology, I insisted that they take no risks in doing so. Although Dr Vahlen will be disappointed, I value the survival of our troops above the acquisition of alien weaponry... perhaps an idealistic flaw, but if we discard our humanity in our attempt to defeat the aliens, what would be left to protect?

Only one soldier was injured during the operation, Leilith. At least Evelynn will have some company in medbay. Though there is a bright side to this, with the constant crew rotations (and lack of fatalities) it does mean we're gradually training up several of the soldiers. If ever a time does come when we're forced to honour a fallen comrade, at least there will be skilled soldiers to fight on in their place... a morbid, but regrettably necessary concern.

But with only three days left of the month I defy the aliens to get in our way again. It's time to launch the satellites we've been holding onto, and prepare for the council report!

PERSONAL LOGS:

Evelynn:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Captain Terrence Whittaker:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:07:53 am by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:59 pm »

Operation Driving Summer
6th of May, 2015:

Despite some disapproving looks from Central Officer Bradford, as the end of April loomed I gave the orders to launch satellites over France and the United States. The presence of a satellite over a European country meant that I needed to also order an interceptor to protect European airspace, but the resultant drop in panic meant that XCOM once again received a glowing report from the council.

Not that I did it so those fat-cats and bureaucrats would praise us, but we can't afford for any countries to withdraw their support from this project. They may not realise it, but we're their best hope of surviving this crisis.

With the report out of the way (I hate facing them, even when I know they'll be pleased with our progress... it just, unnerves me) I was able to top up the various department budgets, much to everyone's elation. A slew of building projects immediately got under-way, and the cybernetics lab was finished at last.

It's not something any soldier should volunteer for blindly, we made all the information we have available to those who showed interest. Of those who were still willing to volunteer, knowing all the risks, I authorised Brandi Bear for the procedure. I can't say that her poor performance on the field didn't factor into my choice, and for that I feel an element of shame, especially considering what she willingly sacrificed. Whatever she may lack in combat potential, I will have no one claim she didn't have the heart of a warrior.

We had just enough time to prepare one of these cyber suits, a MEC, for her to pilot before a UFO contact was detected over the United States. She's waiting in the Skyranger Hangar along with the rest of the squad for me to give the Operation the go ahead. Time to see whether her sacrifice was worth it...

PERSONAL LOGS:

Anahita Shahnaz:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:13:45 am by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:19 pm »

Operaion Driving Summer, conclusion!
6th of May, 2015:

There was some concern that, equipped in her MEC suit, Brandi Bear would not be able to board the Skyranger, but beyond the need to adjust the seating slightly the squad were aboard and on route to the crash site in short order. I barely had time to get back to mission control before they were preparing to land (though Dr Shen may be partially responsible for that... I swear he starts brewing a pot of tea the moment he hears my footsteps.)

We were all eager to see how Brandi Bear operated in the mission, there was a lot of unproven technology in that suit, aside from the safety of the operator I was concerned for the safety of the rest of the crew should she panic. But it seems her MEC suit made her a perfect opponent to face the Thin Men they found about the crash site. It seems the suits automated life-support systems were capable of neutralising the alien's poison gas. A useful side-effect given she seems quite happy to beat them to death in close combat.

If only we had a better understanding of the operational limitations of the suit though, we may have been able to avoid Evelynn being wounded once again. It seems her reputation proceeds her, I can think of no other explanation for the way the aliens seem to prioritise attacking her over far more exposed opponents. I wonder how she'll take being confined to the medbay once again.

If I can't find a way to keep our troops from being wounded, then perhaps we need to look at other ways to reduce their time in recovery...

PERSONAL LOGS:

Evelynn:

Grimnir:

Fang Yaochuan:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:17:48 am by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »

Operaion Cryptic Heart
9th of May, 2015:

With Evelynn already badly wounded, and without any medical supplies available in the mission (damn me, and damn the false sense of security we'd been lured into!) I issued orders to proceed with utmost caution through the remainder of Operation Driving Summer. It paid off.

Although the aliens did catch us off guard with a sudden seeker ambush (where were those advanced recon satellites Bradford spoke of, that could detect life signs in the AO?!) the squad managed to clean up the crash site without further injuries and even managed to recover some new alien technology!

So, with the operation concluded, and with promotions and medals to hand out, things were looking up. And with the construction of an officer training school, I authorised several classes for our troops... they weren't particularly enthused with having these lessons cut into their already limited 'down time' but the impact the training will have on their survivability will be staggering... we've even managed to train our squad leaders to manage larger squads!

Now, with our soldiers attending training and the engineers busy hammering and blasting away at the foundation beneath the base as they construct a thermal power-plant, all that remains for me to do is ponder a recent request from Argentina while I nurse a cup of Earl Grey and wonder how long the aliens will leave us alone this time...

PERSONAL LOGS:

Grimnir:

Antonio Vingino Reyes:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:55:37 am by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 11:18:28 pm »

Operaion Cryptic Heart, conclusion!
9th of May, 2015:

After much thought, I finally agreed to Argentina's request for additional satellite coverage. It will mean we're going to need to purchase more planes to protect their air-space, but that offer of reward for something we would have to do eventually anyway, seems too good to miss.

However, despite our increased support, or perhaps because of it, the Aliens made a point of attacking Argentina, along with Australia and the United Kingdom. I realised the moment I saw Australia was part of this mess that my hands were tied. It didn't make it any easier to ignore the pleas from the other countries though, but our long term strategy demands that panic be managed across all of Asia. We're in this for the long haul, after all.

And so, here we find ourselves, our troops are already on the ground and engaging enemy forces in the AO, as part of Operation Cryptic Heart. Those damned Seekers are once again proving to be a serious menace, but other than that the squad have been performing well. With any luck, they can keep up this momentum and we can get them all home in one piece, just as the kettle finishes boiling!

PERSONAL LOGS:

Evelynn:

Grimnir:

Dr. James Novak:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:01:51 pm by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 11:19:11 pm »

Operaion Crystal Fear
11th of May, 2015:

The seekers have continued to prove one of the more troublesome enemies our troops face on the ground, a fact David can attest to as he languishes in medbay after their repeated attacks.

However, the remainder of Operation Cryptic Heart proceeded by the numbers. Brandi Bear is quickly becoming an invaluable member of the squad, her MEC suit has repeatedly allowed her to perform manoeuvres, and even take-downs that would have been difficult if not entirely impossible for our regular soldiers. She has given a lot, but XCOM has gained much from that sacrifice.

Though, that said there was a moment of panic when three of those fleshy tanks, Mutons, burst into the AO. I do not feel ashamed to admit that I genuinely believed we might be bringing back one of our troops in a box... or maybe a few boxes. But once again our troops showed precisely why they were recruited for the XCOM project. They kept their cool, followed their orders, and ultimately managed to eliminate the threat with minimal damage. They even managed to use one of the new Arc Throwers to incapacitate one of the brutes!

Of course, I've been given the expected lecture by Dr Vahlen about the waste of having to put the thing down before returning to base, as we don't yet have an alien-containment facility. But she fails to understand the reason we incapacitated the Muton was not to stick it in a cell and taunt it, we wanted only one thing, and that was its gun. And as soon as her team are done researching Carapace Armour I intend to have her focus the teams efforts on unlocking the secrets behind these weapons!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 11:20:38 pm »

Operaion Crystal Fear, conclusion!
16th of May, 2015:

With a mission behind us and the feelings of accomplishment high amongst the troops, I was afforded some time to reflect on our progress. While I'm generally very pleased with the work being done on expanding the base, I worry that we may be falling behind, especially regarding our science labs.

This has already begun to hamper the progress of our research projects, as Dr Vahlen has taken pains to explain to me. With a projected 44 days to research the alien plasma rifle I wonder if it might not be better to invest our resources into exploring alternate weapon technologies. However, not everything Dr Vahlen had to report was dire, she finally delivered the results of project Thorax, which focused on developing new tactical armour for our soldiers. Something that has been VERY long overdue!

Undecided on whether to pursue plasma technology or not, I've given her team the goal of taking apart those Seekers, I want to know how they can hide themselves so easily, perhaps we can learn something from an autopsy. Though she'd hardly had time to get through the door from my office, the alarms soon started to sound and Bradford chimed in on the intercom...

The Council had a new request for us, apparently this item we recovered from Zhang is connected to an inbound alien warship on course for China. Details were thin on the ground, and our troops barely had time to properly fit their new armour before they were buckling into the Skyranger and heading for a train station in the heart of Chongqing.

I don't know what the aliens have up their sleeves, but they're unlikely to allow us to interfere with these plans without a fight.

PERSONAL LOGS:

Evelynn:

Doctor Moriarty:

Council of Nations:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:58:13 am by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 11:21:35 pm »

Operaion Hot Jester
16th of May, 2015:

The train station to which we were deployed for Operation Crystal Fear seemed eerily quiet for the time of night, and while it's certainly possible many people would have been scared off by the approach of BigSky, the fact that there was no-one there was a little worrying, but for a little while it almost seemed as if our troops were entirely alone there.

It became clear to us that we were working against the clock, not something we're unused to at this point, but rather than missing out on some additional resources for our cybernetics department, any delays here could cost the lives of everyone in the city. Of course, as if the ticking clock wasn't enough, the silence of the station was eventually broken as Thin-Men showed up in force, and worse still the alien battleship launched reinforcements to the scene making an already difficult job even harder.

It is because of these hardships, overcome, that my sense of pride in our troops is so great. Not only did they manage to complete the primary objective (though in true XCOM fashion, they left it to the last moment... I'm sure they did it just for the dramatic effect!) but they did it with hardly any injuries at all. Only Revocane has had to report to medbay since the squad returned, and I'm told it will only be a few days before he's back on duty.

Perhaps this is a turning point in the war? We're doing well. Very well in fact, and with the aliens hopefully licking their wounds we may even have some free time here at the base. Perhaps I can finally make good on some of the promises I've made to join the troops in the barracks for some drinks (tea, of course!)

… and yet, for some reason, I can't quite shake this feeling that something big is about to happen.

PERSONAL LOGS:

Dr. James Novak:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:04:11 am by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:17 pm »

Operaion Hot Jester, continued...
16th of May, 2015:

Well, so much for having time to meet with the troops... beyond managing to attend a meeting with Dr Vahlen to discuss the latest research results and suggestions for further genetic modification projects (I've now authorised the construction of a gene-lab) I was barely half way to the barracks before the tannoy summoned me to the situation room for a meeting with the council. At least I could nod to the troops as I walked by.

What the council had to tell me was quite disturbing. I'd been planning on having some time to let our troops recover after Operation Crystal Fear, but it seemed that the time to strike at the now-off-course battleship was at hand. Operation Hot Jester was given the green light, and our best soldiers were once again assembled ready for lunch.

What they've encountered so far is underwhelming, only thin-men, easily dispatched, but I know better than to assume that's all the aliens will have to throw at us. This is too important a target to be so poorly defended!

PERSONAL LOGS:

Kerneels Gerlof:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:12:13 am by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:52 pm »

Operaion Hot Jester, continued...
16th of May, 2015:

Progress through the Alien ship had been slow but steady, with our troops executing their orders flawlessly. Not only had they slain a half dozen of the ship's crew, but they'd done so without anyone so much as taking a scratch!

It is perhaps because of their great success that they, and we, became overconfident. I issued risky orders, banking on their outstanding performance up to now, and they executed them flamboyantly, the rush of battle clouding their judgement... and their aim.

Ultimately, the fault lies with me though, as their commander I alone shoulder the blame for the poor decisions made, and later, when the mission is over and I have time to reflect on what went wrong, I will share in the suffering of every soldier wounded because of our overconfident zeal.

So far, only Brandi Bear has suffered any serious wounds, and I hope that they are the only ones, but I get the feeling there will be difficult decisions ahead of us before this mission is done.

PERSONAL LOGS:

Xi Gui:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:31:13 pm by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 11:24:25 pm »

Operaion Hot Jester, concluded!
16th of May, 2015:

It seemed that Brandi Bear's wounds helped to refocus the team, and far from become panicked they instead redoubled their efforts. I will have to remember to mention Zhang's precision with a shredder rocket in the official operation report, for I'm certain it saved lives.

Though the early victory seemed all but forgotten as our team proceeded and encountered a far more deadly enemy than Thin Men. Within seconds it managed to pin the team down, heavily wounding one, only to follow up with a grenade that wounded the rest. If it weren't for Brandi Bear's willingness to throw herself into the line of fire, I have little doubt that one or maybe even all of the others would have died in that engagement, and it was in part thanks to her close combat skills that they were able to put the thing down at all, though all she got for it was an explosion at close range.

We're left with a squad of heavily wounded, tired soldiers. Only Leilith seems to have avoided any injury up to now, but will she be enough to guide the others to their final objectives? Do they have anything left to give at this point? All I know is that the lives of everyone in that city rest on their shoulders, and that's a terrible burden for an already exhausted squad to bear.

PERSONAL LOGS:

Evelynn:

Doctor Moriarty:

United Nations Special Security Council:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:35:41 pm by Aavak »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 11:26:47 pm »

Operaion Lost Bell
18th of May, 2015:

The last few hours have been the most tense of my life. The mission started well, and then began to falter, only to recover for a period, and then practically came to its knees thanks to a creature straight out of a Transformers film.

The squad killed it, or destroyed it, I'm not sure if it was alive to be killed. Dr. Vahlen can answer that question, I'm sure. But what mattered was the squad took it down, but it pretty much took everything they had to do it. I'm not talking about munitions, I'm talking about strength... they were on their last legs, and there was no lying to ourselves about that. A particularly strong wind could have knocked Brandi Bear over, and the rest of the squad weren't far behind her.

I resigned to some particularly slow, and cautious progress from that point on, but it seems my caution wasn't necessary. What crew remained on the ship went down without much of a fight, though I had the squad play it safe, I didn't want to throw it all away to a moment of recklessness.

But when the last power conduit went offline and the ship began to slip into a slow and safe descent, I let out a breath I hadn't realised I was holding. Though even with the mission over, the wait for the squad to return on BigSky still felt like an age, and I barely got to see the squad as the medical staff hurriedly loaded them onto stretchers and wheeled them off to medbay.

It's been hours since then, and only now have I been handed the medical report. Of course, most of the crew are going to be sleeping this one off for days, but most are out of the red (Brandi Bear was still touch and go right up until they managed to remove her from the MEC suit, but even she should make a full recovery).

I expected the council to authorise medals, but to my great surprise, nothing... what do those pale rascals want from us?!

It wont be official, but I've spoken with Dr. Shen, and he's got some of the boys in engineering fixing up some medals and pins from melted down alien alloys. Of course, I'll have to have someone fiddle with the numbers to smooth over the discrepancies in the stock reports, but I refuse to have our troops fight their way through an operation like Hot Jester without some sort of recognition!

As for the council, I will be happy if I don't need to speak to them again for the rest of the month. In fact, I'd be pretty pleased if they left us alone for the remainder of this war.

On that note, Bradford mentioned that I was needed in the situation room. No rest for the wicked, I suppose...

PERSONAL LOGS:

Evelynn:

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:11 pm »

Operaion Lost Bell, concluded!
20th of May, 2015:

Seems the council just can't but help themselves this month. Though this time it seems they actually had something useful to say. It appears that we aren't the only Human organisation interested in the aliens... this 'EXALT' as they call themselves, apparently sympathise with the alien attackers and have begun to compromise our resources and relations with council members.

For some reason, they decided to worsen the situation in the United Kingdom, even though that situation couldn't get more worse. Mr Magoo has been sent out with orders to infiltrate the EXALT cell operating in the UK, with hopes that she can disrupt their operations. We expect to hear back from her within the week.

But rather than have any down-time (heaven forbid we actually be given time to recover!) the aliens launched an abduction strike against three countries across the globe, and yet again it fell to me to make the difficult decision of whose call for help we would respond to.

Based on the souring relations between XCOM and several countries in Europe, I chose to have BigSky fly to Germany. Most of the soldiers who went on Operation Hot Jester have yet to recover, but despite that we managed to put together a solid lineup of troops, lead by Cerberus.

So far the combat has been relaxed, we've had plenty of time to plan our movements and neutralise the alien threat. I can only hope it continues like this, as I don't know if we could suffer more of our troops being out of action in medbay... or worse, the morgue.

PERSONAL LOGS:

Grimnir:

Doctor Moriarty:

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 11:29:02 pm »

Operaion Blinding Vanguard
20th of May, 2015:

Operation Lost Bell went better than I could have expected, with Atheist Cat performing superbly in the difficult role of incapacitating aliens in order to recover their weaponry.

That said, there were a number of risks taken by the squad which resulted in the engagement escalating far faster than I would have liked. Despite this, our soldiers dealt with the increasingly unfavourable odds with the same calm, determined professionalism that I've grown to count on.

Special mention must be made of the outstanding performance of David Powell in the role of field medic. I have no doubt that without his quick thinking and expert use of a medkit (I wonder if Doctor Moriarty has been giving him pointers?) at least one of our soldiers would have been carried out of BigSky on a stretcher once the crew returned to base.

However, things aren't going nearly as well off the field as on. By the time I'd returned to the situation room, China had already entered a state of panic, with India, France, and Nigeria close behind... it's clear we need to do something to restore faith in our ability to handle the alien threat, but what?

For the time being though, there are more direct concerns that demand my attention. Namely, Mr Magoo is due to make contact with us in just a few days. I have no idea what to expect, but I imagine we'll need to be ready to mobilise an extraction crew at a moments notice.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 11:29:55 pm »

Operaion Blinding Vanguard, concluded!
25th of May, 2015:

With the final days of the month rushing past, things seemed quiet at base. Between reports from medbay of our troops being released and available for duty, Dr Shen's team managed to complete work on the foundry.

By the time I'd made it down to engineering to meet with Shen, he already had a list of planned foundry projects for me to look over. He is nothing if not efficient. Of the projects he suggested, I gave the go ahead for tactical rigging for our troops, as well as upgrading our standard grenades to use the alien technology. It will take a few days, but it should be worth it.

If only we'd had enough time to finish those projects before Mister Magoo finally contacted us, but with her message it was clear we didn't have time to wait. Needless to say, the soldiers were kitted up and ready to board BigSky within moments!

What they found was... worrying. Humans, more or less, equipped with equivalent gear to our own troops. But it was the—genetic modifications that worried me the most. Dr. Vahlen seems to believe they've begun to integrate alien genetic material into themselves. A frightening thought by itself, but the biggest question is who exactly are these people to have the means to perform these sorts of genetic enhancements, or even research them?!

So far, our troops have been as capable of killing them as they have been of putting down the aliens, but there's still plenty we don't know about this situation, and plenty of time for these EXALT operatives to surprise us...

PERSONAL LOGS:

Evelynn:

Grimnir:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4