Poll

Death Penalty, Support or No?

Yes, we should keep it
- 13 (24.5%)
No, we should ban it
- 40 (75.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on the Death Penalty?  (Read 7507 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on the Death Penalty?
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2014, 10:47:12 pm »

Yeah, often you'll see laws go unenforced that have extremely severe punishments, but don't act as a deterrent. Desertion in WWII is a good example, when the US only executed one unfortunate guy to try and set an example... I've also seen it with copyright law, when you hear about someone getting $200,000 in fines or something for pirating music.
Which is ridiculous as that is also one of the practices that the Eighth almost explicitly exists to prevent. If the common punishment is "no punishment", then making examples of people like that is extremely unconstitutional.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:09:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:09 pm »

Right, I think people normally think of that amendment as preventing torture (which is also neat), but punishment as an example is the other use that unfortunately doesn't always get called out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »

This is, strange. I am quite sure you are saying the reasons people choose not to commit a crime is not punishment, but the very fact of being illegal.
No, people have reasons to not commit crimes completely unrelated to the law. And generally these reasons are far better than "because if I do it I might get X punishment".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2014, 05:02:33 pm »

Right, I think people normally think of that amendment as preventing torture (which is also neat), but punishment as an example is the other use that unfortunately doesn't always get called out.

Basically. It is against needless and cruel punishments. Something that was rather common for the time.

Executions however? I don't think the 8th amendment was ever created to prevent those.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »

The 8th wasn't created to prevent specific punishments. It was created to regulate punishment. The actual status of how we deal with criminals is not addressed by the 8th at all, and is a changing standard of the times. The death penalty is obviously both cruel and unusual in the modern day, which makes it unconstitutional.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »

In the US, a convicted murderer once released has about a 1.7% chance of murdering again.

If 4% of people on death row are innocent, that means the death penalty is more than twice as likely to kill an innocent than a known murderer is.

You are aware that using "statistics" to tell obvious lies like this weakens your case rather than strengthening it right? Especially since honest statistics might actually support you here, so it makes it look like you're only here for cheap rhetorical flourishes that intentionally muddy the water.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:02:28 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 08:40:13 pm »

Not to mention, that's not saying it's twice as likely to kill an innocent as it is a murderer. It's saying it's twice as likely to kill an innocent than someone who commits the crime once again. They're still a murderer.

It is supposed to open up the myth of "It prevents further murders by killing the murderers" by saying that it kills more innocent people then it does protect innocents from reoffending murderers.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

In the US, a convicted murderer once released has about a 1.7% chance of murdering again.

If 4% of people on death row are innocent, that means the death penalty is more than twice as likely to kill an innocent than a known murderer is.

You are aware that using "statistics" to tell obvious lies like this weakens your case rather than strengthening it right? Especially since honest statistics might actually support you here, so it makes it look like you're only here for cheap rhetorical flourishes that intentionally muddy the water.

You are correct, I've found an issue with the data I used.

A murderer murdering again within 3 years of release only has a 1.2% chance, it's 1.7% chance of murdering if convicted for a violent crime in general.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2014, 06:52:57 am »

I am a member of amnesty international, if that says enough? :P
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2014, 08:24:33 am »

I'll just pop in to state that vengeance and retribution has no place in any justice system. Note that this is very distinct from "deterrent"; punishing someone to deter someone else from committing the same crime (or the same person from committing the same crime, ala what parents do to children) can be effective.

Remember the ultimate goal is prevention of crimes. If the end is anything else, then we've got problems.

I thought the justice system was about cheap labour and generating profit for corporations? Now you got me all confused.

Norway seems to have their justice system sorted out, while USA is the worst among first-world countries. Though I wouldn't like to live in a crowded 100-person cell where the only food you'll see has to be brought in by your family.

But back to the topic... the death penalty is already banned here. Executing people doesn't help anything, imo.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]