Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 146921 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #795 on: April 16, 2014, 02:41:42 pm »

Gogis, that's an argument from 12 pages ago.
Technically doesn't make it any less reasonable to reply to, but since that was one of my posts that I explicitly marked as insincere, "any less" is quite a high bar anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 16, 2014, 02:43:07 pm »

It always struck me as amusing that Ukraine serves to Crimea in terms of water and electricity what Russia serves to Ukraine in terms of Oil. More so, even.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 16, 2014, 02:44:00 pm »

I think the difference is that Crimea, unlike Donbass, actually belonged to Russia proper, previously, rather than a country that was both Ukraine and Russia in principle. It's the difference between the car you lost in a divorce, and the scooter you later gave to your ex because you were still on speaking terms and you didn't really use it at the time. Both were at one point yours, and neither are currently yours, but you have a much better claim on one than on the other.

But isn't it the case that for a period, Crimea was a "country" that was both Crimea and Russia in principle following the Crimean War until all the Russians moved there, displacing the natives and such?

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 16, 2014, 02:44:10 pm »

Cyanide is in apple-seeds for Chrissakes.
Cyanide is one of the most common toxins plants use for self-defense. I think hundreds if not thousands of plants contain it. Luckily our body is quite good at handling low doses of it.

Wave of pessimism have passed. Guys, when you see more defeatism like that from me... please  slap me in the face through your monitor :)
Don't give up, UR. Nothing is eternal, Putin's regime included. And when it starts teetering on a brink, people like you and me will march on kremlin and do to Putin what your compatriots did to Yuschenko.

Even if I dislike Putin, reading that is what makes me want to puke. "Prioritize, Wilson!"
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 16, 2014, 02:45:42 pm »

Please stop digging through the thread for posts that nobody cares about anymore.

Also why would I want to prioritise?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 16, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

Cyanide is in apple-seeds for Chrissakes.
Cyanide is one of the most common toxins plants use for self-defense. I think hundreds if not thousands of plants contain it. Luckily our body is quite good at handling low doses of it.

Wave of pessimism have passed. Guys, when you see more defeatism like that from me... please  slap me in the face through your monitor :)
Don't give up, UR. Nothing is eternal, Putin's regime included. And when it starts teetering on a brink, people like you and me will march on kremlin and do to Putin what your compatriots did to Yuschenko.

Even if I dislike Putin, reading that is what makes me want to puke. "Prioritize, Wilson!"
Are you talking to a soccer ball?  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 16, 2014, 02:53:49 pm »

Your assurance that spetz natz are more than just a better trained units is unrealistic and naive.

I have seen videos of the spetz natz, and they look absolutely ridiculous, in a comical bad way. head punching bricks, breaking sticks on each other bellies, making flip flops. really stupid shit. those kind of movies typically goes with all kind of terrorist organizations with extremely low fighting abilities.

I have also had friends during my army time who previously served in one of the spetz natz and they weren't special in any way.

Contrary to the propaganda movies, the spetz natz may be elite units, yes, but not super humans nor any better soldiers than any other SF team with proper training. A bullet in the head kills them just like any other human.

No reason to worship them or think they can magically stop an army.

Ukrainian "Alpha" now have "extremely low fighting abilities".

And, you know, there are different kinds of spetz natz. The ones that are worse are better known, because the better ones were from Soviet Union, and all the documents on them were burned in the nineties.

Any SF are lethal. Comparing them is same as any random IMDB thread like C.Norris vs SubZero. Spetsnaz (they are not even elite) vs something like Delta is stupid in the same way.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 16, 2014, 02:56:05 pm »

Are you talking to a soccer ball?  ???
More like a wall, seems like.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 16, 2014, 02:57:05 pm »

Somehow Russians keep forgetting about Chechya... Those guys had no army at all. And it wasn't easy at all.

My personal opinion is that Russian army is a big pile of crap that would collapse against NATO\Israeli\Japanese\South Korean army real quick
Problem is that Ukrainian army is even worse than Russian....

Eh, If only Russian myths about American private military companies in Ukraine was true :(

Somehow you forgot about thing called mountain guerilla warfare. I can name one nation which happen to tried to tackle same obstacle. But you are to young to comprehend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 16, 2014, 03:00:57 pm »

Peter I the Puny (know in Russia as the Great, God knows why)

Should I post wikipedia link or is it derogatory of some sort?

I suspect that it was sarcasm, and I did try and ask why blindkitty called Peter I that.

Somehow Russians keep forgetting about Chechya... Those guys had no army at all. And it wasn't easy at all.

My personal opinion is that Russian army is a big pile of crap that would collapse against NATO\Israeli\Japanese\South Korean army real quick
Problem is that Ukrainian army is even worse than Russian....

Eh, If only Russian myths about American private military companies in Ukraine was true :(

Somehow you forgot about thing called mountain guerilla warfare. I can name one nation which happen to tried to tackle same obstacle. But you are to young to comprehend.

I suppose you are referring to the British Empire and Afghanistan?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 16, 2014, 03:02:33 pm »

Your assurance that spetz natz are more than just a better trained units is unrealistic and naive.

I have seen videos of the spetz natz, and they look absolutely ridiculous, in a comical bad way. head punching bricks, breaking sticks on each other bellies, making flip flops. really stupid shit. those kind of movies typically goes with all kind of terrorist organizations with extremely low fighting abilities.

I have also had friends during my army time who previously served in one of the spetz natz and they weren't special in any way.

Contrary to the propaganda movies, the spetz natz may be elite units, yes, but not super humans nor any better soldiers than any other SF team with proper training. A bullet in the head kills them just like any other human.

No reason to worship them or think they can magically stop an army.

Ukrainian "Alpha" now have "extremely low fighting abilities".

And, you know, there are different kinds of spetz natz. The ones that are worse are better known, because the better ones were from Soviet Union, and all the documents on them were burned in the nineties.

Any SF are lethal. Comparing them is same as any random IMDB thread like C.Norris vs SubZero. Spetsnaz (they are not even elite) vs something like Delta is stupid in the same way.
Now I don't usually agree with Gogis, but when I do, he acts as a voice of reason.

But you are to young to comprehend.
Enough with the ad bloody hominem already!

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 16, 2014, 03:03:01 pm »

I prefer suing Russia for unlawful actions
Sure thing, Bucko! We'll have this in court right after Afghanistan and Iraq finish suing the USA!
*Imagined Saddam and Taliban suing USA* Nah, no gonna happen

BTW both invasions were legal under international law, both got UNSC approval even if it was a crafty interpretation of resolutions

It is not easy to do, will take quit a lot of time it may be unwise because that kind of nationalization can provoke Russia to do some very nasty thing (Because Russian government will not accept any international court decision here) but I am sure that the case is winnable.

Stopped reading

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 16, 2014, 03:04:44 pm »

Gogis you might not have noticed it yet but you're going through the thread backwards.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:15 pm »

Fellows, I'm not going to name names but I would like to remind us all not to feed troll attempts.

I also really want that "Couch-potato UN Peacekeeper force" badge now. If only I had artistic talent.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:58 pm »

Prooflink, and math formula, please.

My understanding is that the claim is based on the fact that the Russian Empire conquered it.

Liberated it.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 136