Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 149202 times)

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #825 on: April 16, 2014, 03:34:24 pm »

Please stop digging through the thread for posts that nobody cares about anymore.

Also why would I want to prioritise?

No wai
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 16, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »

Cyanide is in apple-seeds for Chrissakes.
Cyanide is one of the most common toxins plants use for self-defense. I think hundreds if not thousands of plants contain it. Luckily our body is quite good at handling low doses of it.

Wave of pessimism have passed. Guys, when you see more defeatism like that from me... please  slap me in the face through your monitor :)
Don't give up, UR. Nothing is eternal, Putin's regime included. And when it starts teetering on a brink, people like you and me will march on kremlin and do to Putin what your compatriots did to Yuschenko.

Even if I dislike Putin, reading that is what makes me want to puke. "Prioritize, Wilson!"
Are you talking to a soccer ball?  ???

I keep a notepad++ for haters list. With reasons stated. I know why. Why you ask?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 16, 2014, 03:36:42 pm »

Why would you +1 to ignoring him and then proceed to directly engage him in conversation? >_<

Couldn't resist, and for a second I thought he had stopped going on as he was.

Cyanide is in apple-seeds for Chrissakes.
Cyanide is one of the most common toxins plants use for self-defense. I think hundreds if not thousands of plants contain it. Luckily our body is quite good at handling low doses of it.

Wave of pessimism have passed. Guys, when you see more defeatism like that from me... please  slap me in the face through your monitor :)
Don't give up, UR. Nothing is eternal, Putin's regime included. And when it starts teetering on a brink, people like you and me will march on kremlin and do to Putin what your compatriots did to Yuschenko.

Even if I dislike Putin, reading that is what makes me want to puke. "Prioritize, Wilson!"
Are you talking to a soccer ball?  ???

I keep a notepad++ for haters list. With reasons stated. I know why. Why you ask?

OKAY, I am calling the Toads Wrath on you gogis, you are just acting trollish.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 16, 2014, 03:37:08 pm »

I suppose you are referring to the British Empire and Afghanistan?

I suppose you not that smart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afghanistan_(2001%E2%80%93present)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2014, 03:38:16 pm »

Liberated it.

Please explain how you can "liberate" a country by invading it, occupying it and kicking out all the natives? How is that in any way "liberation"?

Fixed for ya.

But the people living in Crimea weren't "Turks". They were Crimean Tatars i.e. the mixed descendents of practically everyone who was living in Crimea when the Mongols came. There's Crimean Tatars right now who are descended from the Khazars, the Cumans, even the Greeks that lived on the coast and even Ostrogoths i.e. Gothic/Germanic speaking people. They all mixed together and when the Mongols conquered them, they converted to Islam. The Crimean Tatars i.e. the natives were under Ottoman Turkish protection.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2014, 03:38:51 pm »

Gogis could you please put all of your responses in one post, it makes it a lot easier to read and doesn't clutter up the thread as much.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 16, 2014, 03:39:13 pm »

I suppose you are referring to the British Empire and Afghanistan?

I suppose you not that smart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afghanistan_(2001%E2%80%93present)

*sigh*

Go.

Away.

You could have meant Soviet Russias time in Afghanistan as well, how am I to know you meant EXACTLY the US since you never specifically said.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:43:10 pm by smjjames »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 16, 2014, 03:39:33 pm »

Liberated it.

Please explain how you can "liberate" a country by invading it, occupying it and kicking out all the natives? How is that in any way "liberation"?

Fixed for ya.

But the people living in Crimea weren't "Turks". They were Crimean Tatars i.e. the mixed descendents of practically everyone who was living in Crimea when the Mongols came. There's Crimean Tatars right now who are descended from the Khazars, the Cumans, even the Greeks that lived on the coast and even Ostrogoths i.e. Gothic/Germanic speaking people. They all mixed together and when the Mongols conquered them, they converted to Islam. The Crimean Tatars i.e. the natives were under Ottoman Turkish protection.
Owlie, just let it go. He won't listen.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 16, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »

Peter I the Puny (know in Russia as the Great, God knows why)

Should I post wikipedia link or is it derogatory of some sort?

I suspect that it was sarcasm, and I did try and ask why blindkitty called Peter I that.

Actually, sorry, I was sure I've explained it, and it seems I didn't; Peter I is considered to be a great ruler in Russia, but when you actually take a look at what he did, it turns out that it wasn't all that great, and he was mostly randomly taking ideas from Western Europe. The trick is, some of the better ideas got kept around later, while most of the stupid ones were dropped, and after a while, the bad ones were forgotten, and the nickname 'Great' stuck around (as far as I can tell, almost every Russian ruler was called 'Great' when he/she was in power). That's from reading Suvorov, who is currently running a series in Polish historical magazine about rulers in Russian history who are remembered much better than they deserve (there are a lot of those; past seems to be even easier to manipulate than the present for Russian propaganda).
So, in short, Peter I was not so Great (I mean, he was quite big, but... oh darn, you know what I mean), but not only God knows why is known in Russia as that. The trick here is to try and read about what various 'Great' rulers actually did, and it turns out that quite a lot of them were, in fact, rather Puny; it's not limited to Russia by no means.

He was called great because he westernized Russia (my EU bits tickled and orgasmed) and he basically destroyed medieval-age boyars influence which is first/second best thing ever done on par with Napoleon revolution. And he brought alot of western intellect in Russia. Not calling him a great is idiocy in my mind.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 16, 2014, 03:50:58 pm »

Now I don't usually agree with Gogis, but when I do, he acts as a voice of reason.

Is this true? I mean, I'm not saying he's never been right in your opinion, but I can't think of a time when he's ever acted in a way I would call "the voice of reason".

Also, since this has become the "gogis goes on and on" thread again, can I kindly request that we all just... ignore him? He seems to have sunk to dredging up old aguments and ad hominems, so "avoid engagement" seems like a pretty good strategy going forward, since even if he's not trolling he's certainly not arguing in good faith or attempting to engage in a real dialogue.

Edit: Ninja-ed, I guess.

Name me a single argument out of all words you just wrote. You are so big on logical fallacies, but when you have no arguments you so eager to write thousand words with zero meaning. That post I just quoted full of nothing. Everybody understand you, but do you said anything meaningful?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 16, 2014, 03:54:41 pm »

I suspect that it was sarcasm, and I did try and ask why blindkitty called Peter I that.

Actually, sorry, I was sure I've explained it, and it seems I didn't; Peter I is considered to be a great ruler in Russia, but when you actually take a look at what he did, it turns out that it wasn't all that great, and he was mostly randomly taking ideas from Western Europe. The trick is, some of the better ideas got kept around later, while most of the stupid ones were dropped, and after a while, the bad ones were forgotten, and the nickname 'Great' stuck around (as far as I can tell, almost every Russian ruler was called 'Great' when he/she was in power). That's from reading Suvorov, who is currently running a series in Polish historical magazine about rulers in Russian history who are remembered much better than they deserve (there are a lot of those; past seems to be even easier to manipulate than the present for Russian propaganda).
So, in short, Peter I was not so Great (I mean, he was quite big, but... oh darn, you know what I mean), but not only God knows why is known in Russia as that. The trick here is to try and read about what various 'Great' rulers actually did, and it turns out that quite a lot of them were, in fact, rather Puny; it's not limited to Russia by no means.
That Suvorov? The one who wrote Aquarium?
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 16, 2014, 03:56:03 pm »

Yes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 16, 2014, 03:57:22 pm »

Yes.
That explains the "Peter the Puny".
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 16, 2014, 03:59:52 pm »

Well, Suvorov\Rezun is not a historian, I read his books. They have too much nonsense  maybe his general idea is true, but stuff like "highway tanks" made me think that he either knows nothing about the era he writing about or twists facts to fit them in his theory

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 16, 2014, 04:03:55 pm »

Well, Suvorov\Rezun is not a historian, I read his books. They have too much nonsense  maybe his general idea is true, but stuff like "highway tanks" made me think that he either knows nothing about the era he writing about or twists facts to fit in his theory
He certainly does the latter, but unlike Solzhenitsyn he has the audacity to claim that his works aren't fiction. Highway tanks is pure idiocy to anyone who knows anything about wafare in general and armoured vehicles in particular, but that's only the tip of the sensationalistic gibberish iceberd that man has created.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 136