Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 148999 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Since the last thread to deal with this sort of thing got locked due to being a massive complaints magnet, I think it's high time for its successor!

Not just about Crimea, of course. Everything you always wanted to say about your favourite tinpot dictator but couldn't because you mouth was filled with a policeman's boot is welcome.

Please refrain from personal attacks and contempt in general, though, just because a man supports someone you despise does not make him less worthy of respect.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:16:31 pm by Knit tie »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: A Gentlemanly Discussion of Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:20:05 am »

PTW
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:04 am »

The thread is dead. Long live the thread!
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:11:53 am »

Speaking of Ukraine, what do people think of its future? Regardless of Crimea, will the new government enact reforms, or will it merely form another oligarch clique?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 02:37:08 am »

Speaking of Ukraine, what do people think of its future? Regardless of Crimea, will the new government enact reforms, or will it merely form another oligarch clique?
People are uncertain about the future and don't trust former opposition and current government. Don't trust is a good thing, because that means more control.  As for reforms... It is a transitory government so they are limited to the most necessary reforms required to reanimate governmental institutions. Everyone here wants elections as soon as possible

There are a long hard work ahead. Our country is badly corrupted and fixing that is extremely hard. The largest problem is the Judicial Branch. I don't know how to cure it.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:13:42 am »

PTW for news.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:30:16 am »

I preferred "Post-USSR Politics" as a title to be honest because then there was finally a thread to talk about Tajikistan in. Now Tajik enthusiasts are stuck with that old ambiguous "Egypt and the World and Libya" thread.

That said, I was amused today to hear that the Russian foreign office has complained of THE WEST using too much Cold-War era language and trying to bring back those dark days. Evidently, the Russian establishment is a stranger to irony as well as self reproach.

Forgive the telegraph link but Tymoshenko has announced another bid for the Presidency. I wonder for how long Ukrainian politicians will run on a ticket of driving out the Russian occupiers.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:21:52 am by Owlbread »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 07:27:21 am »

The Self-Declared Savior of the Romanian People has arrived.
Good day, gents.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:20:55 am »

Let's talk about possible economic reforms in Ukraine. Will good old method of investing in own defense industry work?

Ukraine has good enough defense industry to rearm itself in everything but fighter jets. Tanks, ballistic missiles, small arms, transport aviation, helicopters, navy vessels is what Ukraine can produce with little or no external help.
It will be rather far from the best weapon systems in the world but noticeably better than 1980s Soviet stuff

If we reduce "corruption tax" that makes our weapons way more expensive than it should be, then we should be able compete on foreign markets in Africa and Asia. I think cooperation with poorer NATO members is also possible if NATO will have a political will

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:40:34 am »

I suppose investing in good old defense industry is good, but having a president that doesn't luxurify themselves with a mansion that they barely even live in themselves is even better.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:56:31 am »

I suppose investing in good old defense industry is good, but having a president that doesn't luxurify themselves with a dozen of mansions that they barely even live in themselves is even better.
Heh, true. And fixed your post.
Elimenating reducing corruption is the most important thing, without that any other reforms are useless

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 08:59:31 am »

To get rid of corruption you'd have to go tabula rasa on the entire system, otherwise the remnants would do their worst to uphold the status quo.

(Don't mind my post, I just wanted to use this opportunity to say some clever words.)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:57:43 am »

Nah, you just have to make the corrupt elements think that "not getting caught" is a better deal than "making some (a lot) more money", and that getting caught could happen at any time. A few high-profile, well-connected corrupt elements taken out of the picture should eliminate a lot of the more opportunist corrupt agents.

S'mathematical. If they don't have perfect knowledge of who's going to get hit, then they're more likely to say "Fuck it, not worth jail-time" after some of their 'friends' (hence: well-connected) get taken out, and stay clean. To keep them guessing, should take out a few small fry as well, so the others don't think "Well I'm not THAT corrupt or well-connected, I should be okay as long as I don't go overboard..." At least long enough for people with more integrity to take up the position.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 10:02:34 am »

Nah, you just have to make the corrupt elements think that "not getting caught" is a better deal than "making some (a lot) more money", and that getting caught could happen at any time. A few high-profile, well-connected corrupt elements taken out of the picture should eliminate a lot of the more opportunist corrupt agents.

S'mathematical. If they don't have perfect knowledge of who's going to get hit, then they're more likely to say "Fuck it, not worth jail-time" after some of their 'friends' (hence: well-connected) get taken out, and stay clean. To keep them guessing, should take out a few small fry as well, so the others don't think "Well I'm not THAT corrupt or well-connected, I should be okay as long as I don't go overboard..." At least long enough for people with more integrity to take up the position.
You imply that the corruptioners are rational actors. I'd say people who build dozens of mansions for themselves only to not visit them ever are not rational.
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 10:03:56 am »

Okay, I'll be here watching you too.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 136