Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 149195 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #645 on: April 14, 2014, 07:05:45 pm »

I always imagined they were shut-ins that lived in their parents basement or in small shack at the backyard they share with old and rusty tractor, with USSR banner and pictures of topless Putin hanging from the wall. It seems to fit their behaviour well.
If you tone down the vitriol a bit, that'd be nice.

A lot of otherwise normal people here have the Soviet mindset so deeply ingrained into them that no amount of western liberalism can cure it. I personally know a very intelligent history professor who goes out of his way to prove that Russian nations are superior to the European ones in every conversation we have on the topic, one of his main arguments being that the Europe is suffering from crippling inbreeeding because it's so small. He obviously didn't take basic genetics or geography into consideration, but he always takes stating the flaws in his statement as a personal insult.

Must, refrain, from, a, 'compensating for something' comment.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #646 on: April 14, 2014, 07:22:52 pm »

A lot of otherwise normal people here have the Soviet mindset so deeply ingrained into them that no amount of western liberalism can cure it. I personally know a very intelligent history professor who goes out of his way to prove that Russian nations are superior to the European ones in every conversation we have on the topic, one of his main arguments being that the Europe is suffering from crippling inbreeeding because it's so small. He obviously didn't take basic genetics or geography into consideration, but he always takes stating the flaws in his statement as a personal insult.
Iceland has this weird thing where they're all mostly loosely interrelated, yet are pretty damn healthy genetics wise. They've got some kind of Goldilocks zone going on.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 14, 2014, 07:56:07 pm »

If you tone down the vitriol a bit, that'd be nice.
Can't, it's byproduct from reading too much news every time one of our superpowers decides to piss in the face of international laws and general "not-invading-sovereign-countries-with-made-up-or-forged-excuses" and then see common people honestly trying to defend said actions. It always makes me wish those people would get some of what they are so freely wishing for others on themselves, just so they would realise what real "war" feels like, that they are so eager to support. Not that I think it would solve anything, but it would be fun to mock them when they start whining about it...
If it makes you feel any better I've said worse things about Bush and Palin supporters.

I had different kind of teachers, one that I remember best was history teacher from year 7. During class he made few of us stand in line and pose as "brave Finnish solders, ready to die for their home, god and fatherland", then said he was going to make us re-enact Russian offensive in winter war with him playing the part of Russia (note that he was grossly overweight, as wide as three of us side-by-side), then let out loud roar whole school must have heard and ran right through our line. He pulled similar stunts at least once a week, School Shootings and Why It Is Great Idea To Bring Guns To School, Best Korea missile tests, political bologney and any local politics that made it to the news. Best teacher ever.

Edit:
So who'll take a bet on war breaking out within the next three months? Let's say, one local beer.
I'm game, voting for one month. I always lose when I gamble, let's hope it works this time too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:00:04 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2014, 12:01:22 am »

So who'll take a bet on war breaking out within the next three months? Let's say, one local beer.
I'm game, voting for one month. I always lose when I gamble, let's hope it works this time too.
I'll take no war, but it'll have to be a beer where you are, unless you are willing to face charges of providing alcohol to minors. Legal drinking age is somewhat higher then average here.

Ukraine should just take Right-Sector and put them next to the separatists, and have them sort it out amongst themselves.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:03:26 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2014, 01:10:18 am »

Mr. Strange, where did you go to school? That is both hilarious and disturbing. Hilturbing? Most of the, uh, quirky teachers seem to have filtered into Religion in my experience of the Finnish school system.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:02 am »

BTW, This night a pro-RussianPutin presidency candidate was nearly lynched by an angry mob in Kyiv (six bodyguards can't do much against many angry people)
He was saved by... No, not the police. He was saved by the Right Sector.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:35:49 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #652 on: April 15, 2014, 04:42:45 am »

What are they saying at 2:20?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 15, 2014, 05:08:44 am »

Normal tank commander would shot from that big machinegun. First above their heads, then directly at this scum (If you know Russian it's easy to understand their general level of culture and IQ)

Our regular army is not ready to kill on this war, yet
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 15, 2014, 05:43:47 am »

Normal tank commander would shot from that big machinegun. First above their heads, then directly at this scum (If you know Russian it's easy to understand their general level of culture and IQ)

Our regular army is not ready to kill on this war, yet

Obviously the best solution to solve the civil war is to shoot unarmed civilians.

And calling people "scum" should not be accepted in the Ukraine-trying-to-be-progressive-democracy.
._.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #656 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:16 am »

Yes, I am afraid using machinegun would escalate the situation even further. Maybe it would be enough to scare the mob away in this case, but by such act, opposition would just be given even better excuse (shooting civilians is a crime, after all) justify their cause.  :-\

However, care to give some translation of what's going on in the video? What are they demanding from the tank crew? And any thoughts on why is this tank operating seemingly alone, and in (apparently) hostile territory?

Also:
Also, have a video for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdH8OEpDY0k
I'm still interested about that. Care to translate or at least give a rough idea of what are the people in this video talking about? What rationale did the civilians use to make soldiers disarm? And there was the police - why did they put rifles in the police car?

Not trying to aggravate you or anything though, I just hope to get some info on this as I don't really understand what's going on but I'd really like too...I welcome any other native Ukrainian/Russian speaker to enlighten me.

I can understand "Glory to Ukraine" and "Glory to heroes", I think.

Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 15, 2014, 05:54:57 am »

Yes, I am afraid using machinegun would escalate the situation even further. Maybe it would be enough to scare the mob away in this case, but by such act, opposition would just be given even better excuse (shooting civilians is a crime, after all) justify their cause.  :-\

However, care to give some translation of what's going on in the video? What are they demanding from the tank crew? And any thoughts on why is this tank operating seemingly alone, and in (apparently) hostile territory?

Also:
Also, have a video for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdH8OEpDY0k
I'm still interested about that. Care to translate or at least give a rough idea of what are the people in this video talking about? What rationale did the civilians use to make soldiers disarm? And there was the police - why did they put rifles in the police car?

Not trying to aggravate you or anything though, I just hope to get some info on this as I don't really understand what's going on but I'd really like too...I welcome any other native Ukrainian/Russian speaker to enlighten me.

I can understand "Glory to Ukraine" and "Glory to heroes", I think.
About video, I kinda don't understand it fully, but somebody in the video said that these guys were recently mobilized.

EDIT: Replace "mobilized" with "conscripted".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:59:29 am by Sergarr »
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #659 on: April 15, 2014, 05:56:34 am »

For some comedy horror:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 136