Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aztec dwarves  (Read 1759 times)

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
  • you can never have enough fortifications
    • View Profile
Aztec dwarves
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:53:49 am »

I have been working on a Aztec dwarf civ for a while now, and i am looking for suggestions. So far I mostly have completed minor changes (I used dwarves as a base and began tinkering with the RAWs.) such as naming changes and preference  changes. I plan to implement a caste system and a way of sacrificing prisoners and dwarves in order to gain boons or materials/resources, a ethics system that replaces hammering with ritual sacrifice and allows butchering sentience creatures, giving them a happiness boost from sacrifice/and or blood(I fluffed them out as a extremely radical sect of armok) and no longer getting bad thoughts from seeing things die, special altars to different minor gods that grant different bonuses and require specific sacrifices, a mechanic where military dwarves get buffs that increase in proportion to the number of skulls they have offered to armoks temple, obsidian weaponry, dwarves become unhappy/bad things happen if you stop sacrificing, warrior cults that get special powers, nobles that can learn blood magic and more.  And yes, I know that all of this is horribly historically inaccurate and that I exaggerated the human sacrifice a little bit (not by that much from what I read about the Aztecs), but I think we can all agree that this is a lot more dwarfy.

I what you think,

Iron within,
Iron without.

Ps. I will post more once I get access to a proper keyboard,right now I am using an iPad
iron within, iron withouth

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Aztec dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:47:08 pm »

You may have to learn dwarfhack in order to do some of the things you want. However, a good deal of it can be done with vanilla modding and a couple work arounds.

What can be done with vanilla (and I'd be willing to work with you on this/help when wanted):

1) Caste system
2) Sacrifices (You couldn't get any sort of supernatural boon. You could use transformations to create creatures which die immediately and whose bodies leave behind ingredients/reagents to be used in later reactions to create buffs and transformations)
3) Alters to specific minor gods which have varying effects
4) Obsidian weaponry
5) Warrior cult (has to be a caste though)
6) Blood magic nobles (Also caste based)

DwarfHack can do much more than I can help you implement through vanilla modding though.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:37:11 am »

First of all, fun to see another Iron Warriors-fan being also a fan of the Central American cultures ;).
Secondly, don't leave out the Atlatl.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

Oh my Armok, I love the Atlatl! I suck at it, but man is it a fun weapon to use. One problem with DF is the recovery of the spears (technically darts). However, if sonofperturabo wants to partner up for this then perhaps we will program in this wonderful weapon.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:21:58 am »

Call your highend workshop Atztechnology. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:36:11 am »

Call your highend workshop Atztechnology. :D
Then a noble called shadowrunner is needed, however how one might model that I do not know.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:28:07 am »

I am curios meph? how did you implement the prayer system in masterwork, do you mind if i steal the RAWS for the macuahuitl from your *Masterwork Mod*? in addition, what is the tag the that influences the likelyhood of different preferences/the part of the RAWS that determines what gives your dwarves happy/unhappy thoughts. finally, is the [FORCED] tag in the entity's weapons files segnificant? thanks.

ps. just started editing the languange files so that the words will be real aztec words rather than dwarven. this should take a while :o

iron within!
iron without!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:31:24 pm »

When I think Aztec I think of a large trading network, floating gardens, use of feathers and dyes, and the fact they were part of a three city alliance.  Which allowed them to field, and support, massive armies for short periods of time.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:14 am »

You could do the sacrifice thing by using DFHack's autosyndrome (I think that's the one), make a boiling stone that gives a lethal transformation syndrome and attach an [ITEMCORPSE] to the transformed form of the dwarf, which could be a reaction reagent used for other stuff. Just make sure that the transformed creature has a self-applied syndrome that is 100% lethal, since transformations heal and you probably don't want your sacrifices to get up and go about their normal business.

You could add in a custom tool unique to your civ that produces obsidian when used in a reaction (if you want to ensure that the player at least always has access to obsidian) but I'm not sure if obsidian weapons are ever handled properly in worldgen. [FORCED] just means that they always have access to the item type, but I'm not sure how that differs from [COMMON]? Maybe COMMON items have a miniscule chance of not being available.

If you don't want to deal with editing each individual entry of a language, there's a neat utility called DFLang which lets you imput about a paragraph or more of Aztec-sounding words and then spits out a ready-to-use language file. Most of them won't actually mean anything, but who really speaks Nahuatl and plays DF, anyway?
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 10:31:26 pm »

considering i am almost a quarter of the way through i might as well finish.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:11:59 am »

can anyone supply me with the RAWS for masterwork temple reactions and orcish warrior societies? i play dwarf fortress on a desktop pc and mod on my laptop so i dont have the RAWS on me ATM. additionally, according to the wiki, there is a Quetzalcoatl mega-beast but i cannot seem to find one in game or in legends mode.