Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I write books?  (Read 11820 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I write books?
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:15:43 am »

Hey all, I'm trying to make books but I can quite diagnose the issue.

I have the following in my library:
1. 2 Scholars
2. 2 Scribes
3. A stockpile with codices, paper materials, scroll rollers etc
4. 3 bags
5. A bookshelf
6. 2 tables and 4 chairs

My scribes though are not readers and writers, is that an issue?

I just hope I have the setup right and I don't just wait here for eternity expecting something when really I'm missing a key ingredient. Maybe if someone can tell me what those (desired) and other numbers are on the page that'd be helpful.

Like I said, I have a stockpile in there, and some EMPTY bags, but it doesn't say I have writing materials in the room (even though they are in the stockpile).

paleohayduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I write books?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 03:43:10 am »

It seams most of my books are written by traveling scholars. How many do you have visiting? 3

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:47:28 am »

-The writing material should be in the containers, not in a stockpile. I'd move the stockpile out of the library and expect the codices to be moved into the bookshelf (a stockpile inside the area might confuse the hauling to not haul to the container, while not satisfying the staff's desire to use material from the containers). Paper in itself is useless in a library. It has to be processed into quires and/or scrolls that are then used to write on. Scroll rollers are used together with paper to create scrolls. The writing industry process is rather long and messy. I'd check the wiki to brush up on details and make sure things are processed correctly.
- Scribes copy, as far as I understand, so they'd need something to copy to produce anything (e.g. codices). They're also currently awfully slow in doing so.
- Scholars think, discuss, think, discuss... and then eventually write. My experience is that this takes a fair bit of time as well.
- My understanding is that dorfs are unable to share tables, so the number of chairs and tables should be the same.
- Reading and writing skill probably affects quality and/or speed. Bottom starting levels ought to result in awful writing and lousy quality copies, but I think they use on the job training.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:34:37 am »

I would also check to see what the "desired writing materials" is set to in the locations menu. It looks a little strange, but you set the number in brackets and your dwarves will move things into the library until that number is satisfied. They will not write if there are no writing materials in the library. Make sure you have (b)uilt coffers or chests in your library zone.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

My last fort ran for 2 years, with three scholars (1 doctor, 1 mechanic, 1 astronomer.) During that time, 31 books were written. Four of them came from natives, the other 27 from visitors. Actually writing a book is a pretty rare occurrence.

Incidentally, all four books written by my natives were about government systems.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:11:50 pm »

-The writing material should be in the containers, not in a stockpile. I'd move the stockpile out of the library and expect the codices to be moved into the bookshelf (a stockpile inside the area might confuse the hauling to not haul to the container, while not satisfying the staff's desire to use material from the containers). Paper in itself is useless in a library. It has to be processed into quires and/or scrolls that are then used to write on. Scroll rollers are used together with paper to create scrolls. The writing industry process is rather long and messy. I'd check the wiki to brush up on details and make sure things are processed correctly.
- Scribes copy, as far as I understand, so they'd need something to copy to produce anything (e.g. codices). They're also currently awfully slow in doing so.
- Scholars think, discuss, think, discuss... and then eventually write. My experience is that this takes a fair bit of time as well.
- My understanding is that dorfs are unable to share tables, so the number of chairs and tables should be the same.
- Reading and writing skill probably affects quality and/or speed. Bottom starting levels ought to result in awful writing and lousy quality copies, but I think they use on the job training.

So do you recommend me just remove writing materials and codices from all stockpile designations?

Like I said I have some bags in there, but I assumed they're supposed to automatically store desired writing materials in the bags. Do I need to assign it to the bags themselves?...not really sure how to designate items to be stocked onto a bookshelf either. The only option I have for them is the typical 'make area' etc

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 12:56:56 pm »

Soooo, I didn't change anything really, but apparently they have been writing about Compassionate Animal Reproduction without my knowledge haha.

Thanks for the help guys.

****EDIT:

Wait what?!
It wasn't one of my scholars OR scribes who wrote this...My Papermaker did? I'm super confused, can anyone just start  writing things regardless of who's assigned to the library?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:59:44 pm by quekwoambojish »