It was a good run! Fun, too.
- 3 (42.9%)
I learned things.
- 1 (14.3%)
I WON!!!
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.03: Victory and death! FINISHED!  (Read 38075 times)

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.03: Looking for a player!
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 01:40:46 am »

EA are generally more light troops as magic is more important. LA is the opposite.

When I remember right Abysia is taken already in this game or is it no problem to take it twice?
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 02:06:23 am »

It isn't taken anymore ;)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2014, 02:48:13 am »

I think I will take Abysia, actually:

I just spent four or so hours trying them in SP, and they seem pretty good. Salamanders are remarkably effective, too. I did run into a couple problems of course, such as non-abysian regional militias catching on fire in battles. Changing the start positions of the units appeared to help a little.

Edit: Were we going to use any mods? Apparently I'll have to recreate my pretender either way, since I made it with a password and the llamaserver faq says not to do that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:57:02 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2014, 04:12:09 am »

I think I may be changing nation again.

Thinking about Oceania. I think I'll wait for the patch to confirm, as if I read correctly it will add some pretenders...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2014, 05:07:32 am »

If you want to try Yomi, I could tell you how I wanted to play Shadowlord.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2014, 09:32:28 am »

I think I will take Abysia, actually:

I just spent four or so hours trying them in SP, and they seem pretty good. Salamanders are remarkably effective, too. I did run into a couple problems of course, such as non-abysian regional militias catching on fire in battles. Changing the start positions of the units appeared to help a little.

Abysia's pretty good. Their heavy infantry is pretty awesome, and they have strong fire magic to rip the battlefield to shreds. You have to watch out for things with fire resistance though.

Thinking about Oceania. I think I'll wait for the patch to confirm, as if I read correctly it will add some pretenders...

I probably wouldn't play Oceania on this map. The two are ocean areas on this map are not connected and are only 4 provinces large. And on land Oceania is pretty much a poor-man's Pangaea. Some more pretenders is definitely not going to help them that much either.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2014, 05:24:59 pm »

I'd like to put to you what my plan for now is.

We have a couple of things to wait for. Primarily the patch, secondarily we might want a sixth player. I'd propose that we allow until the patch for a sixth player to show up, and if nobody comes, I'll change the map to something more friendly towards five players. We might even allow for a sea nation to have a bit more real estate, if we pick something with more than a puddle. It would be a tragedy, though, because I was really looking forward to this game happening on Biddyn. Maybe I should play myself here...

We've also not locked down what we think about mods. I'm still advocating for Worthy Heroes, as maestro Burnsaber is a genius. Looking at the current roster, and picking some bits out of it, we'd get the following new and adjusted (some of them remain unchanged) heroes (possibly) in the game:
Spoiler: A list of heroes (click to show/hide)
I'm going to arbitrate against using mods if there's no voice regarding this.

I'd also like to reach an agreement regarding diplomacy. In the initial post, one of the spoilered infodumps contained this guideline (for Machiavellian diplomacy):
  • Trade agreements are sacred. Once you decided to exchange some gems/items/gold, you MUST fulfill your side of the agreement.
  • No constrains on diplomacy. You can attack anyone you want, with or without warning. It would be, however, in good taste not to rush another player at the very beginning of the game. We're all trying to have a good time playing this.
  • Use forum PMs for diplomacy. The in-game messaging system is seriously flawed(unacceptably slow, and parts of messages tend to disappear)

So outside of trading gold, gems or items, there is nothing binding. I think this is interesting because it builds the game on trust and distrust, and it rewards opportunism and political acumen. You may agree to a non-aggression pact (or NAP), and then break it when the time is right... or not. Do we want intrigue like that, or do we want something more secure? There is an interesting element even in binding diplomacy, in that it might be harder to get people to agree with you. I'm going to go ahead and arbitrate that Machiavellian diplomacy is what we're going for, unless there's a voice for binding agreements.

I'd also like to return to what we discussed about public or private diplomacy. Personally, I'd like to see both types of interaction (even if private messages are going to be invisible to me), because it'd allow for both shenanigans and entertaining roleplay/drama here. If we like, we can agree on some type of contrivance for the setting of public diplomacy, like a council chamber. So, in effect, you'd preferably announce and discuss any public matters that are in your interests to handle in that way, and keep private the matters that you don't want others to see.

I'd like to have these rules set before we start the game, so in effect we probably have a few days to twiddle our thumbs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:52:51 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 06:50:39 pm »

Ooh heroes.

I'm against mods under the belief that since we're (I'm) green players it would be in our interest to play with no extra bells and whistles, if only so we can be more like
"Oh sweet, bells and whistles" when some mods are present
instead of
"Aw there's no bells and whistles" when those mods aren't present.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 07:34:04 pm »

Aren't there already heroes in this game? I haven't said anything one way or another about mods because I don't know anything about them since I haven't used any or even looked for any.

I also didn't think there was any diplomacy in the game. I saw computer players declaring war on me, but I never did find any diplomacy page anywhere, so I just played SP as if I was at war with everyone else, and as far as I could tell the AI was doing the same aside from sending war declarations after we had already been fighting for a year*. vOv

* Not that I was counting or anything.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »

Worthy Heros adds more heros to the game, and makes the existing ones more useful. Plus not all nations have heros in the game, so it balances that out as well.

Diplomacy is mostly out of game stuff. But you can trade gems, gold and items ingame, so it's very useful.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 11:25:23 pm »

I'm all for the Worthy Heroes mod (the fact that Oceania doesn't have heroes otherwise may be playing a big role in that), and I agreee with the 3 rules stated, too.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2014, 06:10:00 am »

Well that sounds good then.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:05 am »

I'm good with the most options mentioned in this thread but I wish to point out one setting that I choosed in my head :)

- only mod: Worthy Heros
- public diplomacy in this thread (but with the two points from the actual guideline)
1. Trade agreements are sacred. Once you decided to exchange some gems/items/gold, you MUST fulfill your side of the agreement.
2. No constrains on diplomacy. You can attack anyone you want, with or without warning. It would be, however, in good taste not to rush another player at the very beginning of the game. We're all trying to have a good time playing this.
- perhaps some RP situation for diplomacy. the transcendent part of our gods sitting in this council chamber and making treaties etc. The physical parts are taking action in the "real" world...for god-likes is should be usual to concentrate on both planes at once.
- waiting 2-3 days after the patch so that everyone can adjust pretenders and try a little bit playing.

As I said...I would go with other settings too but usually I should have an preferred opinion of my own I think.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2014, 10:27:16 am »

About that, (period determined) non-aggression pacts as parts of trade agreement ?

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:06 am »

About that, (period determined) non-aggression pacts as parts of trade agreement ?
you mean that non-aggression pacts are sacred too?

if so...how long is there cool down time? if I want to break it how long do I have to wait until I can attack you again?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25