It was a good run! Fun, too.
- 3 (42.9%)
I learned things.
- 1 (14.3%)
I WON!!!
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.03: Victory and death! FINISHED!  (Read 37761 times)

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Dominions 4 Round 4.03: Victory and death! FINISHED!
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:48:30 pm »

This round's prepared for six players with little or no experience playing the multiplayer side of Dominions – no danger of being stomped to the ground by otherworldly terrors with years of soul-slaying experience here! Unless you neglect to read the spoilered infodump.
Biddyn, a beautiful, picturesque map by the most talented Pymous will be the divine battleground.

List of players, and their Early Age nations.
1. USEC_OFFICER - Ur
2. AshSaber the playa - Marverni
3. HopFlash - Berytos
4. tompliss - Oceania
5. Shadowlord - Abysia
6. GP Trixie - Mictlan
Even if we might be nominally full and going, don't let that stop you from expressing your interest (if there is any!) – it's not unheard of that some people will get burned out with the game or something else, and potential substitute players are always welcome.

Useful links:
Dom4 forums on Desura
A downloadable archive of the Dom4 database
A browser-based Dom4 database inspector (very useful!)
An archived snapshot of the Dom3 wiki: While some of the information is outdated, much of it is still useful and relevant.
Llamaserver: The automatic hosting server for our game.
Llamaserver's map and mod browser
A list of several free and functional IRC clients for Windows: Sometimes we chat about Dominions on #Dominions on irc.gamesurge.net. I'd like to see you there!

This text stolen (and freshly modified) from Delta Foxtrot who stole it from E. Albright who stole it from Akhier the Dragon hearted who stole it from ScriptWolf who stole if from Il Palazzo :P ( with his say so ), and scantly updated for Dom4 by the latest OP lijacote.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:43:57 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.03: Setting up (for fresh faces)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:35:37 pm »

Ya forgot to add a link to Round 4.02.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »

We don't recognise the legitimacy of that r-- I'll add it.  :-[

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:11:17 pm »

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

I really want to play more MP Doms. Anyways, what age are we picking? I'll suggest EA, since 4.01 was MA and 4.02 was LA.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:39:42 pm »

I (tenatively?) would like to play.

Not sure on how my scheduling will work out, though. ::)

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 03:02:54 am »

I want to play this round. Would be my first MP-Dom4 Game (only marginal Dom3-MP experience).

I'm very open for option choices (but Hall of Fame would be nice) and would be going for a random land nation. If random is not possible I have to think about it a little :)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 03:33:36 am »

I'm pretty sure that since you need to prep and submit a pretender, the only way you can do random with Llamaserver is by moving the randomization to the client side. Forex, set up a SP game with "random land" and then pick whatever that gives you for your MP nation. That method even lets you exclude nations you really don't want from the randomizing by setting them as AIs to remove them from the running...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:38:31 am by E. Albright »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 04:10:58 am »

Can I play this one ?

My first MP Dominion is 4.02, and I'm down to 2 sieged provinces. that'll prove my " little or no experience playing the multiplayer side of Dominions" :p

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:50:11 am »

I'm pretty sure that since you need to prep and submit a pretender, the only way you can do random with Llamaserver is by moving the randomization to the client side. Forex, set up a SP game with "random land" and then pick whatever that gives you for your MP nation. That method even lets you exclude nations you really don't want from the randomizing by setting them as AIs to remove them from the running...
hmm...right...pretender and submitting...ok sounds reasonable.

then I wait to see what era it will be for local randomization ;)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 04:54:42 am »

I'd be interested.
I've yet to finish a game and get a proper grip on magic, items and thugging, but I know the other bits (in theory at least).

PBEM? And when will it start? As soon as we're full?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 05:40:15 am »

ETA on the 4.05 patch is supposedly "in a week or so". Alas it won't have the Caelum stuff in yet, for all you birdophiles.
Source, by dev himself

@Mindmaker:
PBEM = Play By EMail. You receive and send turns via your email.

I'd recommend you guys to start the game +2 days after you're full. It's good to get a little time to test out some pretender builds. That's just my opinion though and I'm not even in this match. Do what you will.
Here's a good nation/pretender building guide for dom3, it more or less works for dom4 too:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1114
Some of you might like giving it a read if you're into guides.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 06:54:56 am »

Quote from: USEC_OFFICER
I'll suggest EA, since 4.01 was MA and 4.02 was LA.
An astonishing 100% vote for EA so far!
Quote from: AshSaber
Not sure on how my scheduling will work out, though. ::)
The early game will have a 24h timer, I'd say, so if you can manage to play something like half an hour every day, you'll be perfectly fine. The later the game gets, the longer the timer tends to get. Extensions to the timer are also possible when you can't meet it. However! If you're expecting to be frequently unavailable for lengthy periods of time, then that could be problematic.
Quote from: tompliss
Can I play this one ?
I was hoping you'd play here!  :D
Quote from: MindMaker
And when will it start? As soon as we're full?
At the soonest a couple of days after we're full. If the patch is bound to arrive in a week or so, then we might want to wait for that.

We could discuss the settings of the game. I'd suggest the following:
An extended hall of fame (the most experienced and murderous units that enter the HoF get a heroic ability, like increased strength or being stupid)
Slightly increased frequency of magic sites, since magic is fun
Renaming allowed, since names are an important part of the fun and immersion
Five throne sites, with a ratio of 3/5 points claimed for victory (we could allow for level 2 thrones, or 3 if we're mad)

Questions of some import are if we want a score graph or any mods in the game. If any of you are looking at playing Vanarus, for example, I don't think it has any heroes in the vanilla version of the game, but Burnsaber's Worthy Heroes adds a bunch of Finnish mythological heroes to its roster. Naturally any other setting in the game is also up for your input!

I'm delighted that this got this close to full this quickly. We're now at 5/6.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 08:17:14 am »

ETA on the 4.05 patch is supposedly "in a week or so". Alas it won't have the Caelum stuff in yet, for all you birdophiles.
Source, by dev himself

Damn it... Thankfully I'm not going to play Caelum in this game, Love me my Ur but I was looking forward to the Caelum update. I am a major birdophile, after all.

We could discuss the settings of the game. I'd suggest the following:
An extended hall of fame (the most experienced and murderous units that enter the HoF get a heroic ability, like increased strength or being stupid)
Slightly increased frequency of magic sites, since magic is fun
Renaming allowed, since names are an important part of the fun and immersion
Five throne sites, with a ratio of 3/5 points claimed for victory (we could allow for level 2 thrones, or 3 if we're mad)

All of these sound pretty good, though I might bump up the number of throne sites, just so that the game doesn't accidently end early. Also, renaming is pretty much required in any MP game, so I don't know why it's an option. It should be on by default.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 08:38:11 am »

So I'm in ! :D

As others, I'm all for the worthy Heroes mod, and would agree on the "more thrones than players" thing, but am agaisnt the lvl2 throne, as it would mean really more than the others, with low throne points needed (nearly a requiered throne :s ).

And I'm also for the "few days testing" thing, as I'll have to test a few races before choosing which one I'll play.

By the way, lijacote, you don't play in this one ? You're not in your player list :/

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:00 am »

Oh, no, I won't be playing. I've got my hands full with the first two rounds. They're getting rather heavy! This is mostly for the sake of servicing players who have either been eliminated or have otherwise shown interest in a new round being put up. Admin duties for me.

Would we want more thrones than players, or one per player? I'm rather fond of the idea of having each player have a throne for themselves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25