Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)  (Read 10797 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2014, 10:31:46 am »

It's not that The Grand Fair Octopus is unwilling to follow through on its own teachings. It's that, from a modern perspective, its morality is outdated. (This society looks pretty similar to European's Medieval time.)

As far as Alex can tell, it likes keeping stability and values keeping the nobility and clergy in power. Judging by mythology, might does appear to make right. ((Sorry for not mentioning these things earlier. I'm not good at exposition dumps, but feel free to ask. I will be filtering things through what Alex would know, so there may be some inaccuracy.))

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2014, 10:58:24 am »

Alex is a Bay 12er on a second lifetime. The preachings of a god, and one who clearly exerts power over reality yet still allows evil to exist in his own lands, aren't going to do a whole lot to shift his own views of right and wrong.

-snip-

Also, the main god, who's existence I have seen evidence of, hates it, and is said to annihilate the souls of necromancers at every opportunity.

Bet I could do funny things with magic. Necromancy, here I come!"

To be fair, he is a Bay 12er... Unless he's crazy, necromancy should appeal to him...

At the same time,  the last bit about the main god makes that waaay more reasonable. Not having necromancy > Getting his soul annihilated.

Of course, I didn't read anything between here and page one, so I probably missed a lot of important details. I should stop doing that.
Take a closer look at this text!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2014, 12:43:49 pm »

It's not that The Grand Fair Octopus is unwilling to follow through on its own teachings. It's that, from a modern perspective, its morality is outdated. (This society looks pretty similar to European's Medieval time.)

As far as Alex can tell, it likes keeping stability and values keeping the nobility and clergy in power. Judging by mythology, might does appear to make right. ((Sorry for not mentioning these things earlier. I'm not good at exposition dumps, but feel free to ask. I will be filtering things through what Alex would know, so there may be some inaccuracy.))
I meant more the fact there is apparently at least one undead faction, so obviously the Octopus god can't eat everyone's face.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »

And remember, he is an octopus, he probably is really Cthulhu.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2014, 01:04:09 am »

So we have the rationalization for a hyper and mischievous personality for Alex.

Soooo actions:

Meditate for mana, train minion skill, train for a higher minion cap, train for a higher mana regen, train for a higher mana cap.

Try to make a human sized humanoid skeleton out of carved animal bones.

Try to make a miniature humanoid skeleton out of carved animal bones.

Attempt to reanimate them.

Work on control matrices.

Keep expanding the farm.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2014, 08:24:33 am »

So we have the rationalization for a hyper and mischievous personality for Alex.

Soooo actions:

Meditate for mana, train minion skill, train for a higher minion cap, train for a higher mana regen, train for a higher mana cap.

Try to make a human sized humanoid skeleton out of carved animal bones.

Try to make a miniature humanoid skeleton out of carved animal bones.

Attempt to reanimate them.

Work on control matrices.

Keep expanding the farm.
+1 This sounds like a good course of action.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2014, 04:47:20 pm »

((You want me to write, as a viewpoint character no-less, a trollish character who irrevocably dedicates his life to forbidden magic so he can create a transhumanist utopia?

The ember that led me to try to make this game more story-like has been stamped out. Now it's just a world optimization through necromancy simulator.))

Alex spends a day meditating. He then reactivates the crossbow enchantment and the copy device before animating three squirrel skeletons, prepared by Lyssa. With too many active minions, he begins feeling lethargic and his minions frequently stop until he gives them orders again. By the end of the week, he can control nine at once. His need to nearly-constantly meditate to maintain so many minions serves as good exercise to contain more mana, and to more quickly recharge it.

Restless after a week of meditating, he drops control of the squirrel skeletons and returns the copy device to dormancy. A few hours of inept bone carving results in a damaged deer skeleton. Making it stand on its back legs is easy enough, although with his poor carvings, it would fare poorly in a fight against a human skeleton. A few ex-squirrel bones serve acceptably as fingers, and their dexterity seems to be roughly as bad as on his human skeleton. It is put to work on the field.

His miniature human-like skeleton is about the same, but the smaller bones give it proportionately less strength. He could work this higher, but not until he could basically skip using bones entirely.

His speed at animating undead increases.

He spends the remainder of the week working on the shadow path. He is close to a breakthrough.

They finish building an outhouse and start harvesting timber for a second shack. The skeletons have enough fields prepared for four people, and begin planting.

((You rolled a natural 100 on minion cap training. Natural {100}s are nearly half as much fun as natural {1}s.))
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alex (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Minions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Settlement (click to show/hide)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:59 pm »

Dat face. It made me laugh.

And I can think of quite a few ways to make it a story with that setup. If you need help then ask.

Actions:
Mana quantity increase.
Mana regen increase.
Keep working on Shadow.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2014, 07:25:44 pm »

> Work on bone carving and working skill. Maybe make a necromantic mechanism that can do extremely slow and time consuming bone carving tasks that wouldn't be viable otherwise for higher quality.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2014, 07:27:21 pm »

> Work on bone carving and working skill. Maybe make a necromantic mechanism that can do extremely slow and time consuming bone carving tasks that wouldn't be viable otherwise for higher quality.
+1 We should be able to do this.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2014, 07:33:04 pm »

Dat face. It made me laugh.

And I can think of quite a few ways to make it a story with that setup. If you need help then ask.

Actions:
Mana quantity increase.
Mana regen increase.
Keep working on Shadow.
+1

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »

+1 We should be able to do this.

I'll +1 this on top of the actions I already posted.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2014, 08:45:22 pm »

I have to wonder if this world has a thing about people always being nice to cats out of terror it will displease the cat god?

Or maybe they murder all cat's out of a desire for the cat god to not be jealous of them?

I'm really kind of confused if there is ANYTHING the cat god does besides not like everything.

Either way we probably want to not upset the cat god... anymore then is normal...
Perhaps some thought should be put into however that is done.

Also all work and no play is going to make us all crazy and sad and cranky.

Seriously you were going out learning magic and getting into all this thing to have fun!

To have an ADVENTURE.

But so far this is actually a kind of miserable slogging affair full of minor victories.

You and your friends probably should do something to uplift your spirits in general.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:50 pm »

Randomstoryflufftime!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]