Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Long Live the Queen! A Mafia-Themed Succession Fort. [Year Two complete!]  (Read 33634 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

14th of Hematite

I got stuck in a hole today.  Webadict is the expert miner- I should listen to him more.

26th of Hematite

I was working on the staircase when I heard Pandar yelling.  I ran up to see what the commotion was, meeting Dakarian and Webadict on the way up.  We saw Pandar out by the fort entrance, and saw the cause.

Dwarves!  Coming to stay here!

We ushered them inside.  Turns out they were two married couple, fleeing from the oppression of the Blood Queen.  Since we had left, things had started getting worse.  She was drafting dwarves into militia groups, and attempting to indoctrinate people into believing her cause was just.  These four knew better, and made their escape in the dark of night.

The first two went by Persus13 and TheDarkStar.  Persus13 was a highly skilled crossbow maker, and Pandar wasted no time in making a comment about how he'd be much better than having a carpenter make them.  TheDarkStar had long worked a pump deep in the forges, and was looking for a change.  I notice she kept eying Dakarian's pickaxe.  He spoke up.

"You know, I'm only mining temporarily," he told her.  "Would you like to take over for me so I can focus on finishing the wall?"  She agreed and readily took up the pickaxe.  I can respect any dwarf who mines.

The other couple were 4maskwolf and Solmyr, both of whom had been gang-pressed into a marksdwarf squad.  They simply left their patrol in the night- they even managed to keep the crossbows!  4maskwolf was a potash maker, and apparently one of great skill.  He looked rather disappointed when I explained that we had no need nor facilities for his talent, but accepted the challenge of bringing down wild game for meat.  His wife Solmyr was a timid clerk.  We'd find a job for her- perhaps fishing in the hilltop pond?

We now numbered eleven.  We would need more bedrooms...

26th Malachite

Dakarian slid in the last block.  With a practiced tap, she slotted it into place and sealed it.  He stepped back, looked at his work, and nodded.

"That'll hold."

Indeed, the wall looked quite strong.  It was a simple thing, and there was no gate, but it reduced the area that anyone could access our outpost to a much smaller size.  There was work to be done to improve it, but this was a great start.  There was even a stone path that would soon lead all the way to the depot.  We would be living here for some years- we should make it look its best.

The outpost was progressing well.  The central staircase was done to the main level, and nearly finished two levels below that.  Webadict had begun some exploratory tunnels in an attempt to find the iron deposit, but nothing yet had been discovered.  He got quiet whenever I brought this up- odd.  Probably just stressing out over where to dig next.

And that's our first migrant wave.  Everyone had a bit of combat skill, so anyone in that wave stands a good chance of being future military.

What weapons should be used in the military? I vote for at least picks, since those are easy to train.

That's up to whoever is running the fort at the time.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Dorf me and sign me up for a turn! I'm definitely not a scum-overseer, oh no siree.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I like how half of the starting dwarves don't even play mafia anymore.

(I'd like a dwarf if there's another migrant wave)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

I like how half of the starting dwarves don't even play mafia anymore.

(I'd like a dwarf if there's another migrant wave)
This was discussed.  They are such legends in the community it is only fair to give them a dwarf.

If anyone has contact with Wuba anymore, he deserves to know the honor he has received.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I believe y'all will be seen in the first 2 hardcoded waves.

And if not, AFTER THE GOBLINS COME IN WINTER. IN THE SPRING. :D

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, am I the husband or the wife?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Dorf list up to date.  I'll work more on it tonight- I hope to be done no later than end of tomorrow.

Also, am I the husband or the wife?

You are the husband.

I believe y'all will be seen in the first 2 hardcoded waves.

You're practically American now!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

How about me, who am I in the relationship?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

These seems to be coming along quite nicely!

Hopefully you can keep this fortress from falling for three years so I can take my turn.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

How about me, who am I in the relationship?

You are also the husband!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That makes Solymr and TDS the wives of 4mask and persus, respectively.
The Derail Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

24th of Galena

The brood of one of the geese we had brought with us hatched today.  They are the first new life born in this fortress.   I suspect we may also have puppies soon.

1st of Limestone

Webadict, Org, Dakarian, and I strolled the perimeter of the camp.  Today marked six months since we had struck the earth, and the beginning of fall.  It was dry in these parts, though it was unlikely the river would dry up.  Much was progressing.  Dakarian had completed the primary section of the wall, limiting access to the outpost to just the front gate.  One of our dogs was searching for a spot for her pups.  4maskwolf was walking toward the gate, grunting and struggling with a massive warthog- bacon on the menu would lift the spirits of everyone.  But Webadict was clearly troubled.

"This isn't right.  We should have found it by now."  There was still not even a glimmer of iron to be seen in the soil, nor any other metal.  "The stone formations aren't right- are we sure this is the spot?"

"It has to be.  We've gone over the maps a dozen times.  We just need to keep looking, and we'll find it."  Dakarian sighed.  He had been overworked lately with the wall project, and had to bring in Cheeetar to help him.  With the extra work, he was in no mood to argue, and what Org was about to say didn't help.

"Could be across the river.  We should make that bridge we talked about."  Sure enough, Dakarian swore and kicked a rock over the cliff edge.  He knew that meant more work for him.

"Fine," he said.  "Cheeetar and I will make preparations.  Web, we'll need your crew to be ready."

Plans were drawn up, and work began.

25th of Limestone

It was Dakarian this time who saw them, as he was gathering stone blocks to work on the bridge.

"More dwarves are coming!"

Another three dwarves arrived.  A married couple, JimGroovester and Deathsword, were the first two.  JimGroovester was a clothing maker and quite the excellent salesmen; he talked me into putting him in charge of broking trade deals.  His wife Deathsword is another lumberjack, who snuck an axe out as well.  The third was this ninety-eight year old lady dwarf who was quite skilled at metalcraft.  Disappointed to hear that we had not yet struck metal, she then offered to either hunt or join the militia as a marksdwarf.  Apparently she had left her husband at home- according to her, he was "too boring" to make the trip.  What an... interesting lady.

We now number fourteen. 

11th of Timber

There's a foul, foul smell in the air.  Something is amiss...

Crazyduck, I hope a little old lady who wants to join the army, leaving her husband behind to immigrate, is crazy enough for you.  Playergamer, all the dwarves so far have had high skills- nobody useless yet.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

16th of Timber

I have heard of the walking dead, but I had never seen them up close.

Until now.

As best as we can tell, the first snuck up on 4maskwolf while he was hunting, and used the distraction to get to him after he ran out of bolts.  His head had been smashed in by an unnaturally strong punch.  His wife Solmyr fell fighting the beast at the gate, before it was taken down.  The second one was able to get all the way into the fortress, badly wounding Org before Webadict killed it in a rage.

Two dwarves dead, one wounded.  Cheeetar says it'll be a while before Org is able to do anything; both arms and both feet are broken.  Dakarian is building coffins to lay the couple to rest- they will be entombed together here in the stone.

There goes the neighborhood.

I had meant for this update to be longer, but it took a while to handle that and I'm tired.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

16th of Timber

I have heard of the walking dead, but I had never seen them up close.

Until now.

As best as we can tell, the first snuck up on 4maskwolf while he was hunting, and used the distraction to get to him after he ran out of bolts.  His head had been smashed in by an unnaturally strong punch.  His wife Solmyr fell fighting the beast at the gate, before it was taken down.  The second one was able to get all the way into the fortress, badly wounding Org before Webadict killed it in a rage.

Two dwarves dead, one wounded.  Cheeetar says it'll be a while before Org is able to do anything; both arms and both feet are broken.  Dakarian is building coffins to lay the couple to rest- they will be entombed together here in the stone.

There goes the neighborhood.

I had meant for this update to be longer, but it took a while to handle that and I'm tired.
... Plot weaving time as to how I'm actually going to take over...

That was quick.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That did escalate in quite a rapid fashion.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24