Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [WIP] Combo Weapons Mod v.0.5  (Read 9600 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
[WIP] Combo Weapons Mod v.0.5
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:24:53 pm »

So this is a weird little idea that popped into my head yesterday during the Discord chat; inspired by Dead Rising.
Basically this mod lets you combine some vanilla DF weapons into stronger combo weapons, with attributes of both.

This is currently a WIP, so there's only 4 types of combo weapons available, and the crafting is still fairly game-y (no duct tape/cloth required). I do plan on making some cloth weaving reactions later on at some point once I get more acquainted with reaction modding, and obviously I plan on making more types of combination weapons later.

You make the weapons at the Carpenter's Workshop in Adventure Mode, basically giving your adventurer some unique stuff to play with that you wont see worldgen npc's use. It requires two base weapons - the material used by the final product is taken from the first reagent, so keep that in mind - i.e if you use a copper war hammer and a steel battle axe to make a defiler, it will be made out of copper.

The four weapons are as follows:

The Defiler
Combined from a War Hammer and Battle Axe, uses the axe skill and has the axe's hacking attacks and the bash attack from the war hammer (with a little bit of extra force).

The Sabre Shot
Combined from a Crossbow and a Large Dagger - uses sword skill for melee attacks. Can still fire bolts, but also has slashing and stabbing attacks for melee.

The Mauler
Combined from a Long Sword and a Short Sword - uses sword skill, it's basically a double-sided sword. Has the long sword's slashing and stabbing properties, a blunt melee strike attack and also a quicker but weaker slash with the bottom blade (similar values as the short sword's slash).

The Reaper
Combined from a Spear and a Long Sword - uses spear skill. A particularly deadly scythe-type weapon, has a devastating slash attack and can also stab with the spike on top of the shaft.

Download it here. The files are completely separate and I don't think they should conflict with any other mods.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WIP] Combo Weapons Mod v.0.5
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:16:43 am »

Dwarves prefer edged attacks over blunt attacks, so a weapon like the Defiler will mostly be a bigger axe, nothing else.

I do like the idea of adding weapons to the crossbow though. I already have bayonetted crossbows (crossbow + dagger) in my mod, but I guess dwarves could add a crossbow mechanism to pretty much anything. If people build things like this, dwarves can do spear-crossbows or axe-crossbows. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:49:48 am »

Dwarves prefer edged attacks over blunt attacks, so a weapon like the Defiler will mostly be a bigger axe, nothing else.

I do like the idea of adding weapons to the crossbow though. I already have bayonetted crossbows (crossbow + dagger) in my mod, but I guess dwarves could add a crossbow mechanism to pretty much anything. If people build things like this, dwarves can do spear-crossbows or axe-crossbows. :)
To be fair, I didn't include any civ files - only adventurers can make these weapons - so it really depends on the player if they want to utilize the blunt attack more or the edged one. I know AI-wise they'd use the edged attack more though.

I highly question the purpose of that axe-attachment - still, it looks pointlessly cool.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:07:52 pm »

ZM5, are you okay with your Combo Weapons Mod being included with Lazy Newb Packs?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:11:02 pm by jecowa »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 05:28:23 am »

Sure, go ahead.