Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A new Noble - The Mystic  (Read 1592 times)

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A new Noble - The Mystic
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:51:44 pm »

So every fort has a broker, and a manager, and a bookkeeper. Every fort also has dwarves that worship one god or another. I know the ideas of runesmiths/mages is being kicked around a lot but this would serve more of a priest function than a mage/pew-pew one. Whatever diety a forts population mostly worships will be the one that the mystic prays to. At first I had thought of the mystic as being like a buffer but I don't like the direction that went in. What if instead of serving as a mage, all the mystic does is keep the god(s) happy? Mystic duties will mostly involve kissing divine butt at a temple (would need a new building or zone function for this), the punishment for failure would incur the wrath of the gods. Pissed off your lake god? Maybe the lakes dry up. Maybe an angry war god will turn a forts reserve of precious adamantine weapons and armor into wood, or if pleased, will do the reverse. The world of DF is hard enough, why not make it harder by giving the gods more oomph?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new Noble - The Mystic
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:00:37 pm »

Gods need to actually exist in a meaningful outside of art engravings and legends mode before this sort of stuff can start taking shape.

But having religion play a bigger role in a fort is always a +1 in my book.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:23:08 pm »

implementing as a noble sounds good, but wouldn't it be better to use one of the funky randomly generated religious position names than call it boring old mystic every time?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:22:09 am »

I like the idea.

In my opinion, when deities are actually implemented (and hopefully the 'mystic' position), the entire scene should follow a similar example of:
Dwarves who share the same deity (deities) would collaborate and form their own cult, or religious group. This of course, would result in many different groups.
The leaders of these individual cults are chosen by the members of the cult, instead of the player.
When the player intends to choose the 'mystic' (Bishop ?) for their fortress, they are presented with a list of all the current fortress cult leaders. The chosen leader has their faith reformed and chosen as the fortress' preference (icon ?).
This clearly would create some disputes (as all good religious interaction does) leading into situations where some political muscle may be induced.
Two separate cults/faiths may collaborate and be reformed as a single faith if the chosen mystic expresses religious favour for both groups, creating a new pantheon.
The way I see it, deities which do exist must be surrounded with random 'made-up' deities (leading to religious wars to remove these false deities?) as not much would happen if two war-gods constantly swing the favour of battle back and forth for an eternity.
Clear lines should be put into place as to which deities belong into which faith. (However a single deity may belong to multiple faiths, in reference to the collaboration of faiths).

On the topic of false deities, mystics which are aware they represent a non-existent god (as they may have made this deity to gain political control) would mandate things in the name of their god for their own personal benefit. 
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:50:36 pm »

The name of the position should depend on the diety, which again would have to depend on what kind of diety they are, or it being randomly generated. I also had the idea that a "mystic" could make demands similar to a mayor/count/etc except more of a religious nature i.e. Demands sacrifice of 5 goats, or maybe an alligator or a duck for a water diety, or even something like a war diety demanding a certain dwarf fight something (be it a specific something or just any combat kill). Also I see some responses about when gods are actually put in the game, I've run into gods in adventure mode, so they're definitely out there somewhere in everyones world. In the event of false gods i think it would work the same since the dwarves dont know the difference, except maybe false gods will be more prone to making more humorous demands of the dwarves like telling them to breach the underworld or not wear clothes for a month.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:24:19 pm »

The name of the position should depend on the diety, which again would have to depend on what kind of diety they are, or it being randomly generated. I also had the idea that a "mystic" could make demands similar to a mayor/count/etc except more of a religious nature i.e. Demands sacrifice of 5 goats, or maybe an alligator or a duck for a water diety, or even something like a war diety demanding a certain dwarf fight something (be it a specific something or just any combat kill). Also I see some responses about when gods are actually put in the game, I've run into gods in adventure mode, so they're definitely out there somewhere in everyones world. In the event of false gods i think it would work the same since the dwarves dont know the difference, except maybe false gods will be more prone to making more humorous demands of the dwarves like telling them to breach the underworld or not wear clothes for a month.

The only gods you can meet so far are false ones (demons specifically). Deities will probably physically exist on different planes once they are implemented which is probably long after deities start affecting gameplay otherwise.

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:34:37 pm »

oh ok, I've seen gods in legends mode that have cursed people and turned them into lycanthropes or vampires, are those the false god/demons as well?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:33 am »

oh ok, I've seen gods in legends mode that have cursed people and turned them into lycanthropes or vampires, are those the false god/demons as well?
Right now, that is pretty much all that a real deity can do in the game.  If you run into a 'god' in Adventure Mode, it's a demon impersonating a god.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 01:52:02 pm »

I don't like it.-1... >:(
It seen useless.
Sorry for Grammar.

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 03:59:04 pm »

It seen useless.

Its purpose is to make the game harder and give the gods more presence and involvement in the mortal races affairs.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »

It seen useless.
Whether or not we support the idea, deities are still going to be implemented into the game (Along with the entire religious arc).
We're just comparing ideas on how we think they should be implemented.
If you don't like the idea, try to present new points and dispute others. That's why the suggestions forum is here.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:19:22 pm »

This is a good idea +1.

I'll love to see religious groups riot on eachother when compromise is met between them.