Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Tribute] Seeking at least one overseer  (Read 2992 times)

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Tribute] Seeking at least one overseer
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:56 am »

I have a role-playing & fortress building challenge for some brave soul.  I wish to play the role of a self-important bureaucrat in the Dwarven Homes or perhaps a minor dwarven deity in dwarfdom. 

Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to play DF in honour of me and/or at my behest.   I'll send you alternatively impossible and banal instructions, I'll ask for reports and executive summaries and pretend to know what I'm talking about.  You are required to follow all of my instructions to the letter and in their proper spirit.  The penalty for disobedience is a great weight upon your conscience.  This mission is for life; or until you find something better to do; or until you talk some sucker into taking over.

Contact me here to discuss the starting parameters.  I'm open to any level of modding from vanilla to ... whatever the crazy modders can come up with. 

Full disclosure, I'm at best a mediocre neophyte of a player, that's why I am perfect for executive level management.  I no chance to play games on my computer, but can communicate by email and forum.  Based on the delusional notion that our correspondence might provide entertainment for posterity, I propose we conduct our business via this forum.

To apply for this job post a suitably sycophantic cover letter or resume, or original work of poetry or tasteful art portfolio in this thread.  After five submissions, or five days (whichever comes first) I will appoint my first overseer.  The tone of your letter will inform me whether you expect me to be the bureaucrat or the deity.

P.S. You may address me as "Slartibarti the Ultraseer".

Thank you for your interest.

~j3b4

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tribute] Seeking at least one overseer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:22:03 am »

If you can really play the role of a incompetent/unexperienced bureaucrat, whom wishes are sometimes so easy to achieve that the request is deeply absurd, and sometimes completely crazy of outrageousness, it could be very !!FUN!! :)

And if you're still OK, I propose myself to be your devoted servant, sent by you – a member of the Mountain Home – to some far lands in order to set up a great and mighty fortress (well, that's the theory).

I'm using the Taffer's tileset (not graphics) with vanilla's colors. I use no mod (except DF Hack to fix the few bugs that can occur, and Dwarf Therapist).

I propose that I generate a "pocket", "smaller" or "small" world, and then you choose a location, the stuff and skills of the dwarves if you want to. For the sake of the FPS, I would prefer to limit the embark's size to 3x3, and the population to 150 (well, 200 should be OK, but 150 is the safe bound).

I'll try to post the progress regularly and act as if I were a dwarf of the expedition you've put in charge of reporting the state of the fortress (like the expedition leader).

What do you think ? As soon as you agree with all this, I begin the worldgen and post the result here :)

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:07:46 pm »

Armok hears!  Your presence is a sign from the Gods that my vision is true.  My vision of a great dwarven fortress rising high above, and plunging deep below the frontier.

Lt. Orion, you are a goblin fighter!  How did I know this?
You are being posted to goblin territory, I therefore deduced that you are a goblin fighter. 
I did not ascend to this position by being stupid!

I send you on a knight's errand. Go forth to the frontier and build a great fortress that will act as a herald to the savage world of the munificence and might of our great civilization. You will report to me just as I report to the almighty Armok and thusly shall I direct your endeavours. As I am the hand of Armok, so shall you be like my stubby middle finger jabbing into the great pudding of the world rooting out the choicest plums of crystal and figs of ore.

With my seal for protection you will have safe passage on my authority until you reach your point of embarkation.  Come now, lets us survey the map so that you may, through me, know the will of Armok that is to say where he wills that you build my city in his honour.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:09 pm »

Our cartographers provided me with their last work, the map of Dathaanenu in the year 250. Here it is :

Spoiler: Dathaanenu world map (click to show/hide)

I have preselected three sites which, I think, may present the characteristics we are searching for. All are aquifer free -damn these layers which have caused so much trouble in the past !- and come with metals, flux stone, and wood in different extents. And obviously, whatever the region we choose, the goblins will be here, trying to take over the fortress.

The first site, in the Late Plain, is a great compromise between challenge and convenience. While taking advantage of its numerous ressources such as metals, flux stone, clay and soil, we will have to face the lack of trees, and the threatening surroundings (among other things).

Or maybe we could try another location, the Strangled Mire, in the far south-west. There, the vegetation will be kinder, and the weather milder. Also the ground is rich in metals, allowing the development of a great metal industry.

But it would be possible to go even further in the south, where the heat will give thirst to our dwarven workers, and will evaporate ponds and lakes, leaving us without direct water sources. On the other hand, we will have a large quantity of wood and plants at our disposal.

But maybe you'll want to search for different sites, maybe more challenging, with the purpose of demonstrating the power and majesty of our civilization to the world of Dathaanenu ! Let me know if it is the case, since the final decision is up to you sir.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:33:15 pm by 0rion »

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:23 pm »

If There is anything I should hope I never live to see it is this: dwarves of any mountain stock reduced to a state of dependency on anything so fickle
 and unhygienic as tree for their comfort and survival.

I do decree therefor that it is not my but Armok's will that the great monument to his grandeousity be not located in any sweating jungle, nor shall it be erected above generous temperate woodlands but upon the barren and untamed wilds of yon Late Plain.

You will receive nothing but the highest commendation from me Lt Orion for your excellent discretion in bringing these locations before my attention. Now go and make ready for your expedition. Bring ye no cats, for it is said they shall devour the souls of our children.  Let there be however at least one sacred lama which shall never be molested lest Armok bring a curse upon us.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:10 am »

25th Obsidian, 250 :

It has been weeks since we left the Mountain Home. I remember the preparations, I had a hard time selecting what was absolutely needed for our journey, like the quantity of food, drink… Slartibarti the Ultraseer (I don't know where he found this idea of calling himself "the Ultraseer", but anyway…), ordered me to not bring cats. What a whim. These little creatures are yet useful by cleaning the corridors from the vermin. But he certainly had his reasons. Looks like he was right for the llamas, the surroundings are snow-covered, and we will be able to make warm clothes from their wool.
It appears that we are approching our destination. Maybe I should review our stocks.

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

28th Obsidian, 250 :

We have arrived in the area. We are now searching the exact site that Slartibarti the Ultraseer have chosen. We found the brook, and the site should be a few miles to the north-east of our position. I hope we'll be there before the night. The map indicates the beginning of a sand desert. But where is it ?

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

1st Granite, 251 :

We have arrived ! Right for the new year's day !

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

We stopped the wagon, untied the horses which were drawing it, and began to look at our new place of residence.

Spoiler: Discovery (click to show/hide)

As the map indicated, we are between a desert and a grassland plain. To the west of the site is the brook. It is currently completely frozen and covered by snow. There is an elevation to the east, but there is no such much place to dig a fortress on this side. I assume that we'll have to carve out the fortress vertically. My companions noted some murky pools here and there, but since they are under the snow, we don't know yet how many they are.

Spoiler: Surroundings analysis (click to show/hide)

I have begun to write down the report I'm going to send to Slartibarti the Ultraseer. The following sketch is the main area we are going to invest and the elevation :

Spoiler: First sketch (click to show/hide)

1st Granite, 251, later in the day :
My report is completed. I will send it to Slartibarti the Ultraseer soon and we'll wait for his first instructions. But for now we are all tired and we'll rest near a campfire (the last of our travel !) until tomorrow.
I read the report one last time before sending the raven. This seems great. I hope the chief we'll appreciate this first work.

The complete updated map of the site
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:21:29 pm by 0rion »

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 02:49:01 pm »

2nd Granite, 251 :

Today is a great day ! Today we begin setting up the fortress ! Well, where should I begin ? Let's distribute the work between the team members. We have only two picks, so two miners are enough. Some trees could be useful to make beds. Helped by a unexperienced peasant, I should be able to achieve this task. The crops required farmers. If two persons are put in charge of this, one dwarf left. He could construct buildings such as workshops. Great, I think that's perfect.

Spoiler: Expedition's members (click to show/hide)

I have to make decisions by myself until we receive Slartibarti the Ultraseer's instructions. The raven should take a few days to reach the Mountain Home. From there, the boss will have no other choice than to send a messenger with his instructions. I think he will arrive with the first migrants. We probably have 5 or 6 months left before their arrival. Enough time to build the basis.

I have decided that the fortress's entrance will be in the east cliff. We have already begun to dig a corridor, and we have designated places where the wood and refuses will be stocked.

Spoiler: Entrance (click to show/hide)

7th Granite, 251 :

Mother nature has been lenient today. The clouds let the sun appear for the first time since our arrival. Almost all the snow have melted and the brook and murky pools should thaw soon. We keep on digging the fortress and cutting trees. I have Nish construct a mason workshop. I will myself construct a carpenter workshop later. I think we'll be able to make some beds and doors very soon. When the bedrooms are digged, we'll be ready.

Spoiler: Snow melting (click to show/hide)

18th Slate, 251 :

Works make progress. The plump helmets farm is almost done. That's great, the food was worrying me. We managed to dig a room to stock all the stuff left in the wagon. I have ordered the deconstruction of the wagon. The fortress gradually takes shape...

1st Hematite, 251 :

Summer has arrived. And the entrance is sealed ! Well, not exactly, but we have constructed a drawbridge in the main corridor. As soon as we get some mechanisms, we'll be able to raise it, preventing enemies from entering the fortress. This should be enough until the creation of a powerful military.

Spoiler: Bridge (click to show/hide)

Ah, and the farm is finished and functional. I expect next merchants to bring us quantity of plump helmet spawns, because currently it's pitiful. In the future we'll extend our farms to other crops. Dwarves like diversity !

As I predicted, the bedrooms are digged, and the stockpile full of beds and doors. We are currently carrying and putting up beds and doors in the bedrooms. This night we sleep in a bed. Everybody is really excited about it. I did'nt know that the lack of real bed could be this fatiguing. And the dining room is almost ready as well. Soon the fortress will host dozens of dwarves in its magnificant dining room !

Spoiler: Bedrooms, dining room (click to show/hide)

26th Malachite, 251 :

There is now a working area in our new-built fortress : four carpenter workshops and four mason workshops. I envisage to build several stills, we need booze (as always). The dining room is completed, and the bedrooms extended. We lack some tables and chairs indeed, but still, we have a dining room. With some luck, we'll be able to enjoy few parties before the migrants' arrival.

26th Malachite, 251, later in the day :

Ah... Forget about the parties.

Spoiler: Migrants (click to show/hide)

Normally, there should be a messenger among the migrants. The first instructions from the Mountain Home, at last...

[See complete map]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:22:50 pm by 0rion »

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:41:07 pm »

The first thing you are too do, sir knight, upon receipt of this message, is to execute it's bearer. This sniveling knave had the temerity to return to me, dispatches undelivered, begging to be allowed an entourage to safeguard his passage to the frontier. As you can see I have granted this impertinent  request but obviously this cowardly insubordination will not stand. I trust you yourself will undertake to make an example of this dwarf and thusly curtail any tendency in others towards taking their duty so lightly.

Truly however Armok watches over us for I glean from your latest report that my will reached you by other means and in your prudence have already done just as I would have ordered had the first commission arrived.

You have laid a fine foundation. I now require that you build upon it on a manner that shall reflect our moral glory. Remember that I am guided by a personal relationship with the God of Blood.

The first stricture to be observed is that the fortress must rise above the plains to as great a height as it descends below. This is glorious.

Next, I require that you prepare certain necessary items of propaganda so that the good news of our endeavor may be known by others here in the mountain home. Craft at least ninety nine figurines and send them back by caravan at your earliest opportunity. Note I did not say convenience, for in these times, opportunity said for no dwarf.

Eminently shimmering,

Slartibarti the ultra sweet

Raul351

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Digital Art☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:38 pm »

Is it too late to sign up or is this a single player campaign?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:53:05 pm by Raul351 »
I am not liable for any disappointment attributed to this post.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:22 pm »

I’d like to sign up for this!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:38:21 pm »

Gotta say this is a great idea. No more shall overseers be plagued by independent decision making!

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 12:20:58 pm »

Since it's an idea of j3b4, I don't know. I imagine yes (and I hope so, because it's very fun) :)

26th Malachite, 251, evening :

I called together the six migrants. "Tell me your names and occupations. Is one of you carrying a missive of Slartibarti the Ultraseer ?". A dwarf moved fordward and told me "I'm Tosid Tileshkib, and I'm sent by Slartibarti as a messenger. Here is the message I was ordered to give you". I took the sealed letter, and put it in my pocket. It should be for later, first I had to get things in order.

Spoiler: Migrants gathering (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarves of Emeraldcity (click to show/hide)

The newcomers came with several animals : two alpacas, a goat and a bull. I immediately ordered to put them in pasture.

Spoiler: Pasture (click to show/hide)

Once in my quarters, I took the missive out of my pocket, opened it and began the reading.
"The first thing… blablabla… execute it's bearer !?! "
What the hell was this !? What sacrilege this Tosid could have committed ? He did not seem to be a bad guy at first glance…
"This sniveling knave… blabla… "begging to be allowed an entourage to safeguard his passage". The rest of the letter did not provide any further reason to justify the execution of the messenger…

Is Slartibarti a fool ?! I just cannot murder any dwarf who arrive to Emeraldcity on the pretex that he does not have completed his mission and asked for some security ! Why the chief did not simply refuse the request, and sent back Tosid with no further punishment ?

…I think I have no other choice than to obey, orders are orders. Moreover, I heard strange rumors about subordinates who disobeyed to Slartibarti.

What tells the rest of the missive ? Blabla, yes, ok, blabla… what ?
"the fortress must rise above the plains to as great a height as it descends below" ?! Does the chief have any idea how high this is !? It would take months just to build a fortress which raise up to two floors above ground ! What kind of joke this is ? *sigh* I'll see this later, I have no time to waste with the whims of a crank.

Okay, about what is the end of the letter ? No more joke, please.
"Craft at least ninety nine figurines and send them back by caravan".
Hmm… I have to check something.

I ran to the meeting room, found Tosid and asked him if it was really the letter Slartibarti gave him.
- "Of course it is ! There even Slartibarti's personal seal on it !"
- "But have you any idea the missive says ?"
- "Not at all, I did my job, that's all. Why this question ? What's the point with this letter ?"
I didn't answer and turned my back on him.

What should I do ? Inside this letter there are three instructions. And each one is crazier than another ! I'm tired. Our days were nice until now, but now…

05th Galena, 251 :

I have made my decision. We'll do what the chief want us to do. I think Slartibarti knows his job, after all he has the lead for dozens of years. And this is my first as expedition leader; he is definitively more experienced than I am.
Our two miners, Tobul and Bim, have begun to dig the execution chamber. Nobody but me knows what this is as I'm waiting for the very last moment to announce the execution of Tosid. The principle –simple but efficient– is to lock Tosid in a little room containing upright spikes connected to a lever. And when someone triggers the level… Oh, I still have bad thoughs about it, I cannot make up my mind to accept this. *sigh*

25th Galena, 251 :

The execution chamber has been finished yesterday. The dwarves felt that something was odd about this, and once the spikes were in place, everybody knew the purpose of this room. I had Tosid locked inside immediately, and he is now waiting without any explanation. The mechanics linked the lever a few minutes ago, and I called everyone to come down here. Here we are.

Spoiler: Execution day (click to show/hide)

Everyone looks at me wondering what's going on. Oh god, I would like not to do this !

- "On this day, I, Orion Onulèrith, on the command of Slartibarti the Ultraseer, sentence you, Tosid Tileshkib, to die !"
- "What ?! What I've done to deserve this !? No ! You're wrong !! You… YOU'RE WRONG !! ", Tosid yells from the inside of the room.
I try not to lose my composure, despite the exclamations of the dwarves around me.
- "Silence ! … You have disobeyed to a direct order of Slartibarti the Ultraseer, you returned without completing your mission. And beyond that, you had the audacity"
- "NO !! You can't do this ! I am"
- "SILENCE !! As I say, you had the audacity to ask a favor, to ask a protection for crossing the"
- "This can't be true, this can't be true…"
- "Enough ! You will serve as an example for the future generations…"
- "Let me get out ! Let me get out !!"
- "ENOUGH !! ", I can't take it anymore.

- "I… I will now proceed to your execution !".
Hands shaking, and in spite of Tosid's moans, in spite of dwarves' indignation, in spite of my own disgust for this, I pull the lever.

Spoiler: The very moment (click to show/hide)

We hear a hiccup from the room, and then :
- "Aaaah ! My arm ! My arm !!"
I pull the lever again and again, Tosid's cries of suffering covering the terrified mutterings of the others. And suddenly, nothing. No more scream, no more yell. I think… I think that's it.

Spoiler: Detailed report (click to show/hide)

1st Limestone, 251 :

Autum has come. Tosid is dead. I would like to say "job done", but I feel that's not adapted. I remember this horrible moment at the sight of Tosid's corpse, teared into pieces. After that I locked myself in my room for hours. I believe that nobody wanted to approach the corpse, and so, it stayed in the execution chamber a while before being properly buried by Kadol.

Spoiler: Tosid's burial (click to show/hide)

What a mess-up.

7th Limestone, 251 :

We gradually regain our composure. Today a llama is born ! The chief would be happy about it. Err… I don't want to think about him. No more.
But I will have to : it's time to send a report back to the Mountain Home.

The working area has been extended with four craftsdwarf's workshops. I hope will be able to begin the craft of figurines soon, but I'm sure that a hundred figurines will take more than half a year to be created. We expect the dwarven caravan from the Mountain Home to come soon. The figurines will have to wait the next one, next year.

Spoiler: Working area (click to show/hide)

About the construction of the fortress above ground, I have appointed four dwarves to be our masons. They will be in charge of the first foundations until I get more workforce and time. We shall begin the work in two or three months, probably at the beginning of winter.

The general stockpile is filled up with tables and chairs. Maybe I ordered the creation of too much furnitures. But still, there are some empty spaces in the dinner room, we need more tables and chairs ! I lack some workforce to move them all in the dinner room right now. The miners are digging a place where all the furnitures will be stored in the meantime.

The second migration wave should arrive soon now. I am afraid of the instructions I could receive this time.

12th Sandstone, 251 :

Migrants have arrived !

On a side-note, the furniture store is completed. And the still are almost completed too. With the last events, we have been delayed, and it is surprising we had enough booze until now. But this will not stand forever.

Now, what the migrants bring to us ? Do they have some other weird instructions ? Is there a messenger among them at least ?

[See complete map]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:23:19 pm by 0rion »

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 08:21:54 am »

Armok be praised! The God of Blood is well pleased with your piety and diligence. 

I was most gratified by the alacrity and perspicaciousness with which you carried out your orders to date.  In addition, your reports are filled with delectable detail, the sort which illuminates your deeds in a most favourable hue. When the legends of my great and brave works are read by doting schooldwarves in generations hence, little will they know how instrumental and important you were to this one.  But fear not, Armok will know. As long as I live, your deeds shall not be forgotten.

I am pleased with your ability to enforce discipline when it comes to the serious matters.  I am however slightly concerned about the lack of visible progress on the ascending tower.  I hope that when the first caravan returns from visiting our outpost, that they are unable to contain their awe as they describe the striking monument, visible for miles prior to reaching it.  These stories, combined with the stylish figurines you'll be producing, will contribute to the wider dissemination of our brand and help me engage our key stakeholders in collaborative enrapturement which necessarily leads to grassroots buy-in and forward-looking commitment!

I must further praise your candour and honesty.  In the future I will always reward my servants, who embody the principle of accuracy and transparency in their reports.  For in your early report of Emerald City you provided me with a snapshot of dwarves and their occupation.  Imagine my amusement when I noted that you had caught yourself sleeping!  Hilarious.  Since you are my favoured overseer I suggest the lightest possible punishment for this first offence.  You are to deny you self all alcohol for a month.  Imagine what a noble example you shall be setting for your followers.  Of course future infractions will be dealt with more harshly.   To that end I request that all future reports include at least one random and surprise inspection revealing how your dwarves spend their time when the foolishly forget that I am always watching.

And let that next report certainly indicate the glorious progress of the tower!

Your benevolyent ulster-seer,

Slartibarti

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:36 am »

Since it's an idea of j3b4, I don't know. I imagine yes (and I hope so, because it's very fun) :)

Orion is the overseer until he dies or retires (the penalty for which is death) or until I find someone better.  ;-)

Should tragedy strike, I'll comb through this thread to seek a willing sacrif--- er replacement.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 05:19:47 pm »

12th Sandstone, 251, later in the day :

Three migrants and a sinister-looking dog. I had the (insane) though that I would got numerous dwarves to assist in the construction of the fortress above ground. It appears that the last orders of Slartibarti the Ultraseer had the opposite to the desired effect.
- "Greetings ! Go down to our dinner room !", I hailed, "We'll discuss over a beer !"
- "Ah, we would be grateful, the journey has been long and difficult."

A little later, we were meeting in the hall.
- "Well, why are you only three ? I was expecting a great workforce for our next project.", I asked.
- "There have been sort of, err… rumours about this fortress. People of the Mountain Home talk of murders, it seems that…". The dwarf lowered his voice as I was looking at him ferociously.
- "It seems that … ?"
- "Hmm, nevermind."
If the facts had actually spreaded out up to the main citadel, we would had to impress in order to attract more people in the future. But I was wondering how the rumours could spread as fast as this. It would be a great mystery never resolved.
- "Does any of you have a missive from Slartibarti the Ultraseer ?"
The dwarves seemed relieved that I changed of subject.
- "Yeah, here it is."
I took the sealed letter with apprehension. I assigned two of the migrants as masons, and the other as a craftdwarf, and went back to my quarter.

I have opened the letter and I am now beginning the reading :

"Armok be praised!… blablabla… lack of visible progress on the ascending tower". A tower ? The boss surely seemed to have revised his expectations downwards. I was thinking about building a fortress above ground, not "just" a tower. Well, it was a good piece of new.
"I hope that when the first caravan returns…" blabla… "visible for miles prior to reaching it". Ah. It would be difficult since the first caravan was expected for late autum… in a month. Building a beginning of a tower and creating dozens of figurines in a month will be difficult. I'll do my best though.

"I must further praise… blabla… yeah… okay… blabla… You are to deny you self all alcohol for a month" !? That was clearly very bad news. Maybe I could go against the punishment and send more figurines in place ? No that's stupid.

I leave my quarter, furious.

14th Sandstone, 251 :

The craftsdwarf's workshops are ready. I have ordered the craftsdwarves to make the first figurines. The stills are ready too. I had the farmers brew our first booze… which I am not allowed to taste ! I fulminate against Slartibarti !

17th Sandstone, 251 :

I have finished to draw the plans of the tower ! It will take place above the second stairs which will be extended above ground (and inside the tower) later. We have six masons. The construction should be fast. At least, I hope so. Obviously the wood will be moved inside the fortress, and we are currently removing the outside workshops.

Spoiler: Tower foundations (click to show/hide)

13th Timber, 251 :

The caravan has arrived !

Spoiler: Dwarven caravan (click to show/hide)

And we are not ready (as I expected). We have produced six figurines among plenty of other things. I kept repeating to the craftsdwarves to only make figurines, but they keep on trying to create a lot of useless stuff. At least the rings, scepters, earrings and other trinkets will make great trade goods in exchange of what we need (food and drink at most).

Spoiler: Crafts (click to show/hide)

It is a great opportunity to empty the stockpiles; they are completely filled up with those crafts (the miners are currently digging a place where the future crafts will be stored).

Spoiler: Stockpiles (click to show/hide)

And the tower's first floor is far to be completed, just a quarter of the supporting walls is done. The merchants will laugh to our "exploits", for sure. They were supposed to be "unable to contain their awe"…

Spoiler: Tower (click to show/hide)

20th Timber, 251 :

The merchants were not mocking. However they were surprised.
- "What are you trying to achieve here ?"
- "A great tower which will show Emeraldcity's glory to the world !"
- "If I were you, I would have tried to set up a functional fortress first. Well, you do what you want, I'm only a merchant. But still…"

When it came to trade, I noticed that we did not have a broker.

Spoiler: Depot & caravan (click to show/hide)

I decided to appoint one immediately. I asked my fellows who would have the time for this. Obviously, no one had the time…

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)

Quite angry, I told to the first dwarf I found :
- "You ! Momuz ! Congratulations, you're our new broker."
- "What ? But I don't have time for this…"
- "That's not my problem."

Spoiler: Momuz nomination (click to show/hide)

Proud to have solved the problem so easily, I ordered to move the crafts (except the figurines of course) to the trade depot. "That's not my problem". It was like a magic sentence, sure that I would use it again in the future.

Spoiler: Trade goods (click to show/hide)

14th Moonstone, 251 :

Winter is upon us. And the merchants are leaving. Unlike I believed it, the trouble with the broker were not finished. A few days ago, a merchant found me and warned that they would leave soon, and that no transaction had been made yet. Furious, I looked for Momuz :
- "I believed that you were the broker ! You did not make the exchange yet !"
- "As I said, I am snowed under work. I have no time for this !", he yelled.
Then one of our farmer said :
- "I could do this, I have not so much work at the moment"
- "You ? but you're socially incompetent !"
- "… I'm sorry, I just thought that…"
- "No, no, it's ok. Go on." I said wistfully. "Just do not forget to trade food and booze".

As expected, we have been cheated, the poor farmer was so incompetent than we just managed to buy some meat. "That's not my problem", eh ? Not magical at all, after all.

Spoiler: Merchants leaving (click to show/hide)

We are adding some bedrooms to the fortress. I hope that the next migration wave will contain more than three peasants and a dog. Maybe it is utopic. Surely. With the stories which will arise from our attempt to build a tower in the first year of our arrival, it is pretty sure.

Spoiler: Bedrooms (click to show/hide)

And the new spaces for storage are digged. It's not like they are covered of figurines (ten figurines made), but I imagine it will be useful to have some space to store all this at a moment or another.

1st Obsidian, 251 :

The work progresses, at last ! The craftsdwarves lost the exact count of figurines made. They told me they made about twenty figurines. I should appoint a manager to keep the records exact.

Spoiler: Figurines (click to show/hide)

Furthermore the tower's foundations are completed ! The masons tackle the first floor. I think that the boss will be pleased with that progress. Besides I'll send him a report soon.

The trade depot will be moved inside the fortress. And to take advantage of our future impressive tower, the caravan will enter the fortress below the tower. The two miners have already begun to dig the caravan path. The entrance to the west will be shut by a retracting bridge. Most of the time (when they are no caravan in the depot), it will be open in order to allow merchants entering the fortress. But on the other side there will be a closed bridge, isolating the trade depot from the rest of the fortress. And when a caravan enters the trade depot, we'll switch the bridge.

11th Slate, 252 :

Spring arrived a month ago. And today some migrants have arrived too. I don't know their exact number yet, but I hope for a two digit number...

The path to the trade depot is know completed. We just need to secure it with drawbridges. The idea is to make a buffer area which will alternatively be connected to the outside and to the fortress. The depot will finally be at the same level than the stockpiles (whose digging is completed too).

The first floor of the tower is still under construction. For now we just make a passage to allow the masons to build the second level of walls. Actually the floor will wait.

Momuz just told me that they have created more than forty figurines. The ninety nine figurines will be done for the next dwarven caravan at the end of the year, for sure !

Spoiler: Figurines (click to show/hide)

I am now going to welcome the migrants. What news do they bring ?

[See complete map]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:30:47 pm by 0rion »
Pages: [1] 2