Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Coal of Legend takes on The Future Plane (StolenFortresses Year 3 [Embark])  (Read 1115 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

World Information (Bear with me, I just recently discovered how awesome some Legends can be):

List of all Civilizations and Settlements as of Year 2

Friendly Races:

Hostile Races:

Spoiler: The Walled Orb, Nagas (click to show/hide)

The Hardy Dwarves

Fortress Name: Stolenfortresses
     Founded and Ruled by The Abbey of Lusts

This was my first major attempt to embark from a world gen that wasn't the standard "History Length", "Savagery", etc decisions, and instead has that whole damn list of choices. I decided I wanted to try a Volcano embark, since I've never done that before. I also slightly increased the embark points because I was fiddling with it, felt bad and swapped it back to what I thought was a decent amount (1500) and couldn't remember the actual, normal number of points.

I tend to do underground, normal farming with lots and lots of anmals for war, so I decided to switch on the Harder Farming, bring lots of seeds, lots of alcohol, and only a few animals (though 5 Plump Helmet men), and a pair of Dewbeetles for emergency booze. I did make a couple mistakes, however. I apparently forgot to grab a Changeling Breeder to go with my Changeling, and my female Badgerdog is only a pup.

le sigh.

Something else I'm doing that I don't normally do is that I'm not on a river, nor a waterfall. I tend to embark in places with a waterfall that forks at the bottom. I figured I'd try someplace else to get better FPS.

On the other hand, a more perfect embark I have never seen. In addition to flux, I have Titanite, Hematite, Malachite, Cassiterite, AND Bituminous Coal surface accessible from the get go. This is on top of the Magma in the volcano, Peat for an additional fuel source, and sand for glass. In addition, I have an Alchemist Guildie from the start, and a Legion Recruit (who likes Doors? Never seen that before. I'll give her 4 doors to nowhere in her room).

I am VERY strongly consider Flooring over the exposed Lava (and using that level as a basic magma forge to get me started, and using the Volcano as a base for a Megaproject. Basically a giant tower into the sky, with a prison (and Nobles Quarters) at the top. Possibly get a Dorfy Space Program going at the summit to show up those stupid Kerbals. Catapults and Bridges should do it, I think.

For the moment I'm going to need to get the ore I brought with me sorted, an anvil made, and some picks (and an Axeblade or two for treefarms) created, while I get some surface farms going, and try to keep anyone, whether pet or Dorf from falling into the lava. Having never done this before, I'm a bit paranoid.

I did a Reveal scan to see what I was working with (without marking locations of anything) and Oh my Armok. I think I died and went to Dorf Heaven. There is just a STUPID amount of resources, even before the entire map is entirely underground.

And I mean MASSIVE amounts of resources. I'm fairly certain I've got everything from Armok gems to............Ze Chromite. Even a decent bit of Mithril here and there. Plus lava available right the hell now. It almost makes me feel bad enough to gen another world without so many resources.

.....almost.

Then again, I do have 24 hostile races.........I guess I'll have to spend my stupid amounts of gold (probably enough to fully fill my 3x3 embark 6 Z-layers high if all the gold was in one solid chunk) on really good crap, and lay my heroes to rest in a few Masterwork Welded Titanium Coffins. No, seriously it is that good. There's like a minimum of 6+ ore veins per Z-level (actually that may be low, it may even be 8+), with at least 1 of each of the following: Malachite, Gold, Hematite, multiples of same, possibly Cassiterite, Silver, and lots of Wolframite deposits. And generally a Gypsum deposit every Z-level. Oh, and I'm still poking around and just spotted a few Breath of Armok gems (there are plenty of the others spread around too). Never seen those before. There's even a pocket or two of Anthracite scattered around.

Armok Dammit, I am SO saving this embark!

I am only a teensy bit annoyed there's no clay here. I guess I'll just have to suffer with having to do pretty much every other thing imaginable. If anyone wants the save I'd be willing to upload it somewhere.

*cracks knuckles*

welp, time to get to work. Writing all this up took me way longer than I thought it would.

This......is gonna be fun.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:45:06 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: War! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Attack of Arrows (click to show/hide)

Welp, that's the first siege driven off. 5 of my Founders are dead, along with a Fishermen who was providing the fortress with plenty of food. On the plus side, my fortress will be more than ready to fend off the next siege.  I have to say, Legends Viewer and Storymaker were VERY Helpful in helping me piece together what happened. The battle raged so long that some of the battle reports from people that died in the start of the battle had nothing in them. When I exported my battle reports to a text document, it was 137 pages long in MS Word.

Out of the 25 surviving Dorfs, 14 need a Diagnosis of one kind or another. I have been 100% focused on getting the volcano floored and walled off that I've been ignoring bedrooms, etc, so people are extra miserable on top of having seen their friends slaughtered. New priority is getting the hospital running (yay for 3 Gypsum rocks I brought with me at embark), getting splints and (more) buckets made up, and getting Dorfs back to work.

Thankfully all but 2 Dorfs only have bruising. One of the two more seriously injured dorfs has trouble grasping, and the other can't stand and can't grasp.

Summer Year 3 brought me 4-5 metal oriented Dorfs, including a pair of Armorers. I managed to get an Orichalcum Right Gauntlet, with a picture of a battle between Orcs and a honey badgerman (picture was called "The Meditations of Spearing"), and the other image was "The Unthinkable Stigma", a picture of another Oricalchum Right Gauntlet named Dentglorify.

Oh, and the reason I didn't close my bridge is because I need one more gear to make it close, and I want to finish up walling/flooring off my volcano forging area. Next major project is skilling up an engraver by smoothing and engraving the floors and (some of) the walls of the forge area. The unengraved walls will be turned into fortifications.

Time to get the forges heated up, and get some legendary armorers and weaponsmiths....and turn that raw glass we got last time into some dangerous traps.

Welp, there goes Amost. Poor girl. Lost her lover and her friend in the siege. At least she didn't go Beserk. *only* stark raving mad. I'm down to 1 dwarf out of the original 7 now (I assume Amost is going to die soon :( ), Bembul Kadolzag, a Legionnaire. Bembul and Amost were the only ones to get 2 kills in the siege. And, considering Bembul is a soldier, I'll probably have no survivors of the founders within a few years. :(

Time to get Bembul some high quality Steel armor.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:46:26 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!