Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Tribute] Seeking at least one overseer  (Read 3021 times)

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tribute] Seeking at least one overseer
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:09 am »

13th Slate, 251 :

Migrants arrived two days ago. That day, Momuz (the craftsdwarf) came to me, shouting : "Hey, you wanted more workforce ? Here it is ! A lot !".
Actually, I had not expected so many migrants at once. There were 17 dwarves. By comparison, we were 15 at that time. Fortunately, we had constructed enough bedrooms for everyone. I am glad that I foresaw we'd need a lot of extra beds.
But why they came so numerous ? It appeared that they weren't from the Mountain Home, but refugees from a close village which had been victim of a werebeast or something. "Although we heard strange rumors about this place, we have nowhere to go. Would you be kind enough to allow us to stay here ?" they said. I felt lucky at this moment, and although it would be not fair, I wanted to say to this werebeast or whatever : "Thank you, I own you a great service !".

Spoiler: Migrants (click to show/hide)

With so much workforce, the construction of the tower would be a matter of month ! I appointed two migrants as farmers, four others as figurine makers, and the rest as masons, for a total of 16 masons (half of Emeraldcity's population !).

The migrants brought several animals : a baby alpaca, a goat (kid), a piglet, poult, blue peachick and a cat. I immediately thought about the reaction that Slartibarti would have knowing a cat had settled the fortress, and decided the cat would be put in a cage to avoid problems. It would probably leave with the next caravan.

25th Slate, 251 :

Today we have been teetering on the brink of disaster ! The werebeast responsible for the destruction of the last migrants' village traced the migrants up to the fortress !

Spoiler: Werebull (click to show/hide)

When it has been spotted out, it was already depth in the fortress. With no warriors, no traps, and even no weapons, I though that our story was over. I imagined me killed by the monster, and then hounded by the furious spirit of Slartibarti the Ultraseer in hell… A nightmare.
Then the miracle happened. At the moment the werebull was about to catch one of our craftdwarves, it turned into its normal form !

The beast, understanding that its situation has suddenly become critical, just ran away from the fortress. At this very moment I realized we were defenseless, and decided to set up some traps in front of the main entrance.

26th Slate, 251 :

One of our dwarves, Zon Îmäzňnul, is acting strangely. He avoids the others and whispers to himself. I don't know what's his problem, but I'll try to establish contact later.

Spoiler: Zon Îmäzňnul (click to show/hide)

4th Felsite, 251 :

Zon's problem resolved ! I managed to understand that he wanted to access a clothier's shop.
- "What do you think, I have other priorities than satisfying your little caprices !", I said.
- "I need it, please, I'm gonna be crazy if I can't !"
- "That's not my problem !"
Thinking about the last time I said this, and seeing how miserable Zon was, I declared :
- "Okay then… Access granted."

As soon as the clothier's shop was built, Zon rushed towards it. "Cloth… I need cloth…" he was keeping repeating, wandering around.

Spoiler: Clothier's shop (click to show/hide)

Finally he found what he wanted to and began a construction for days… until today. The result is a magnificent cloak, of a quality that I have never seen before. Sure that the boss will be glad about it; the first great masterpiece of Emeraldcity, first of a many to come !

Spoiler: Artifact (click to show/hide)

After such a hard work which lasted for days, Zon appeared delighted, and the first thing he did next was to have a well deserved drink !

By the way the work on the tower progresses quickly. Everyone is working hard, as there is no place for laziness.

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)

In contrast, I'm afraid that we are running out of diorite (which is the material used for the construction of the tower). While waiting for the miners to extract more of it, the masons will probably begin the second floor in a different material (slate I think).

Spoiler: The tower (click to show/hide)

And despite the fact that I have ordered the construction of traps days ago, nobody seems to care about it. The masons are only worried about the tower, the farmers about their crops, the craftsdwarves about their figurines and so on. Dwarves…
Speaking of figurines, more than half the figurines have been crafted : 50 !

Spoiler: Traps & figurines (click to show/hide)

21th Felsite, 251 :

We had a visitor today. It is not the first time, there were one or two who came last year as well.

Spoiler: Thief ! (click to show/hide)

The small creature fled as soon as it has been discovered, and before having the time to commit anything. I heard that kobolds can be friendly with goblins, I hope they won't warn them of our presence here, and particularly of our vulnerability. I would hate to deal with goblins while we are not ready (and it's gonna be a long time with the instructions we receive…).

And as I predicted, we ran out of diorite. But it does not matter, the masons have already begun to construct the second floor using slate.

Spoiler: Tower (click to show/hide)

24th Felsite, 251 :

A side-note today, just to note that Tosid seems to haunt the fortress as revenge. We found blood on top of the tower, which seems to be Tosid's blood… No idea how it arrived here months after the atrocious event. And I don't even want to know.

Spoiler: Tosid is back (click to show/hide)

28th Hematite, 251 :

Migrants have arrived ! We have 16 bedrooms left, it should be sufficient for all of them. I don't know how many they are though.

Spoiler: Migrants, bedrooms (click to show/hide)

70 figurines ! Approximatively. And a lot of others crafts ("But you see, we can just make figurines all the day, it would be unpleasant and so the quality of the figurines would be lower", Momuz claimed …stupid craftsdwarves. One day I shall recall who is the boss). At least they will be useful for trading with merchants. Oh and the new trade depot is finished, with drawbridges, mechanisms and all the stuff as well.

And the tower looks more and more like an actual tower. Our masons make good job. Well, I am used to forgot that they are sixteen working on it, so obviously it goes fast, but nevertheless…

I am confident that those migrants bring good news. Everything will be fine !

[See complete map]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:18:59 pm by 0rion »

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 09:06:46 am »

Among the Migrants of 28 Hematite, 251 there will be a nervous looking dwarve that everyone calls "Shake".  She, or perhaps he, will seek out Orion the Overseer and offer the following correspondence.

Dearest Orion,

I entrust this dwarf with my latest missive.  I do love our correspondence.  Sometimes, writing to you, knowing that you are out there struggling against the fates on my behalf,  almost makes me emotional.  Please bless the bearer of this missive with an honorary title, light duties for life and luxurious accommodations and the finest robes.  For honest and diligent message bearers should be treated as the most precious jewels.

13th Slate, 251 :

17 new dwarves!  Superb.  Armok is appeased, (on this point) to celebrate there will be no new punishments ordered. Were we not in such munificent humours we might have to direct some consequence with regard to the sluggish pace with which the Tower rises.  I see Emerald city has built great halls and chambers below ground and plumbed the depths of the earth as far as 20 levels, yet it only reaches a paltry few above ground.  WHY ARE WE HIDING!?

Do not let this contagion spread!  Remember my edicts about cats I cannot suffer them to live among dwarves.  If you cannot pawn it off to the elves post haste it must be drowned in the river (downstream) of the city of course!

It is with great distress that I read of your failure to slay the werebull make a suitable trophy from its bones and an offering of its blood.  See to it that such opportunities do not slip through your tender fingers in the future.  Already I have boasted to my colleagues that Emeraldcity is a bastion of dwarven power in the North striking terror into the hearts of its primitive denizens.  Our kill count should be the stuff of legends.   

Spoiler: Artifact (click to show/hide)

It is but small consolation that rather than calluses from swinging hammers of death to crush the skulls of our foes and neighbours your dwarves indulge in dainty needle-work. None-the-less we are intrigued. Please send this artifact along or at the very least provide me with every detail so that we may add it to our portfolio.

Excellent.  I see your leadership by example has had some effect.  We may postpone further executions.

Spoiler: Traps & figurines (click to show/hide)

I am curious about these figurines.  What is their quality?  What do the represent.  Whatever the answer, you must cease their construction immediately!  Figurines are out!  They are so completely '250'  nodwarf is seen with them in even the least fashionable slums surrounding Mountain home.  I will not tolerate anyone thinking of EmeraldCity as quaint or provincial.  NO.  Scepters are the hottest thing.  You may not have heard, but I'm known for anticipating these trends.  Before anyone else brings anything to market I want to flood this place with E-C-Sceptres Everyone will want them  200 Scepters by the next Caravan or heads will roll!

Spoiler: Thief ! (click to show/hide)

KILL IT!  KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT!  KILL IT! KILL IT!

The small creature fled as soon as it has been discovered, and before having the time to commit anything. I heard that kobolds can be friendly with goblins, I hope they won't warn them of our presence here, and particularly of our vulnerability.

I We have no words.

Our only hope to mitigate this shame is that the little blighter will lead some goblins our way and allow you to regain your honour by making artifacts from their skulls. 

A side-note today, just to note that Tosid seems to haunt the fortress as revenge. We found blood on top of the tower, which seems to be Tosid's blood… No idea how it arrived here months after the atrocious event. And I don't even want to know.

Spoiler: Tosid is back (click to show/hide)

It is a MIRACLE!  A sign from Armok who approves your sacrifice.  Perhaps we should make it a tradition.  Circulate some application forms and find who will volunteer for the honour next year.

Affectionately yours,

Slartibarti the Benevolent
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:36:44 am by j3b4 »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 01:38:28 am »

Following this thread since it started. A really nice idea!
If you plan to "guide" a second parallel fortress, count me in.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 03:06:09 am »

PTW this IS an amazing idea.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tribute] Seeking at least one ovPTWerseer
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 04:07:36 pm »

PTW
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 03:52:51 pm »

1st Malachite, 251 :

Nine migrants arrived yesterday. A well balanced amount, not too much (I am worried about our food stocks), and not to few (I have a tower to set up). They brought some animals with them : a young water buffalo, a donkey foal, another blue peachick and a young turkey. All this walking-meat reminded me that it could be interesting to butcher some animals for our salvation.

Spoiler: Migrants arrival (click to show/hide)

Immediately after they entered Emeraldcity, an odd looking dwarf came at me, saying :
- "Dear Orion, I am Kogan Idezar and I bring you the next recommendations from the Mountain Home ! Please, have a look at the missive Slartibarti wrote."
I took the aforesaid missive, and promptly opened it.

"Dearest Orion… blabla… Please bless the bearer of this missive with an honorary title, light duties for life and luxurious accommodations and the finest robes.". The strange looking one that was just in front of me ? Well, after all she was not the kind of dwarf who is good with his hands. She seemed more like a lazy bureaucrat. Sure she was one of Slartibarti's henchmen to keep a watch on me.

"…Please send this artifact along or at the very least provide me with every detail so that we may add it to our portfolio". This should be difficult since Zon would certainly refuse to let her beloved creation leave Emeraldcity. I'll have to send a detailed description of the artifact.

I resumed my reading :
"Excellent.  I see… blabla…I am curious about these figurines.  What is their quality?  What do the represent.  Whatever the answer, you must cease their construction immediately!  Figurines are out!". What !? What was that again ! To stop their production, after all the work we put in it ?!
"…Scepters are the hottest thing. You may not have heard, but I'm known for anticipating these trends". Scepters ? I may have heard of your nonsense you mean !
I raised the eyes to heaven. What was our stocks of scepters ? And to think that we have traded most of them with the last caravan… The boss was really wearing me out.

Okay, the chief wanted to know the quality of the figurines. An easy job to do. I led to the crafts stock with the idea of getting rid of this as soon as possible. The place was a total mess. We'll have to construct some containers in order to tidy up the stock.

Spoiler: Crafts stockpiles (click to show/hide)

I looked at different figurines. Although it was not a masterwork, it was pretty good. Here a figurine by Momuz, there another… I suddently felt proud of my fellows.

Spoiler: Figurines (click to show/hide)

But I needed the exact amount of scepters we had in our possession. Then I had an idea. I went back to the dinner room with the hope of seeing Kogan, the messenger.
- "Where is Kogan ?", I asked when I saw she wasn't there.
- "Shake ? She is giving the fortress a tour.", a newcomer answered.
- "Shake ?"
- "That's the name by which everyone call her, because of her numerous tics".

Ater a while, I finally found her :
- "Ah, Sh… Kogan ! Are you interested in an job which does not requires too much effort ?"
- "Sure, what it is ?"
- "As soon as we'll have built an office, you'll be in charge of updating the stockpiles records".

As I was under way, I thought that a real broker could be very useful too. After reflection, I found that Mebzuth would be perfect for this job.

Spoiler: Nobles (click to show/hide)

10th Galena, 251 :

Kogan's quarters are finished ! At least her study room is completed. And it appeared that she is actually good at bookkeeping. Now we know that the craftsdwarves have created 98 scepters, half of 200 !

Spoiler: Scepters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kogan's quarters (click to show/hide)

I think we have killed two birds with one stone as the records are updated and that digging the office provided stone for the tower. Speaking of the tower, the second floor is almost entirely finished.

But we need even more stone, so I have decided to bring a great extension to the bedrooms. In a near future, we'll be able to host twice more dwarves than we currently have ! But the miners are exhausted, I wish we had more picks to accelerate the process.
- "Orion, we can't dig faster", they told me.
- "Do your very best, I have 27 masons expecting stone to construct a tower, and 8 craftsdwarves who also need stone for their crafts. So keep going and be brave, the whole Emeraldcity's industry is counting on you two !".

Spoiler: Bedrooms (click to show/hide)

Although I am completely overwhelmed, I finally remembered that we had two trade depots, and that the older was no longer needed. I have consequently ordered its destruction. A caravan should arrive soon…

12th Galena, 251 :

The caravan, at last ! Our stock of booze is incredibly low, they have arrived just in time.
As I expected, the path under the tower was a great idea. The human merchants seemed impressed with the basis of our construction as they were leading under it.

18th Galena, 251 :

Everyone is very busy currently. The crafts are moved to the trade depot, and there is a huge quantity of them. Or more exactly, they are not gathered in containers, so the dwarves carry them one by one. By the way, I will take benefit of the merchant to take rid of the cat and some other unneeded animals. The boss will be contented to know there is no more cat at Emeraldcity.

27th Galena, 251 :

Emeraldcity grows rich by getting another artifact ! The 19th Galena, Moldath Mesirtun came to me, overexcited, speaking of "an idea, an illumination, a great project that will lead Emeraldcity to even more splendor !". The dwarf requested of me that I order the construction of a jeweler workshop in order to achieve his "magnificent idea". Thinking about how Slartibarti reacted learning that a masterpiece have been created, I decided that it was definitively a good idea to let Moldath do this "marvelous plan".

Spoiler: Moldath's fey mood (click to show/hide)

After having taken up all the items needed, Moldath began the construction. It took several days, but today, finally, Moldath finished working.

All this resulted in a bed of the highest quality. This reminded me about my promise to do a detailed description of Zon's cloak to the boss.

12th Limestone, 251 :

It is now autumn. We managed to trade with the merchants just before they leave. Everyone was so busy, even Mebzuth (the broker) had not enough time to trade. It would have been a shame to miss the caravan whereas we needed so much food and we had so many goods to exchange… But we did it.
After the trading, Mebzuth summed up the meeting : "I think we got a good deal. I have purchased all the meat, fish, cheese and other food they had, as well as all their booze. I think they even don't have enough to finish their journey !".
Well, we are ready for winter. At least I hope so.

21st Limestone, 251 :

Some migrants arrived today. As usual when I receive orders from the Mountain Home, I am starting to worrying. I can't avoid to think that I look exactly the same way as Shake in this situation…

And then I realize that because of all the work the merchants have implied (moving goods from a place to another), the craft of scepters has stalled. In fact, we only have 102 scepters, which means we made a progression of approximatively 1 scepter for 10 days…
- "Where is Momuz, I want to see Momuz, go find Momuz right now !", I yell.
- "You wanted to see me ?"
- "4 scepters crafted in more than a month ! What's the meaning of this ?!"
- "We spent our whole days carrying stuff to the trade depot the past month, it's not my fault if you are not wise enough to order the construction of bins", Momuz answers. What a cheeky…
- "Maybe you want that I report how you behave to Slartibarti the Ultraseer ?", I ask with a sly smile. Momuz grimaces.
- "Err, I'm really sorry sir, I'll try to do my best"
- "No, you won't try, you will do your best. And this come into effect right now !"

Spoiler: Scepters (click to show/hide)

I decide to inspect the fortress before the arriving of the migrants.
The stockpiles are still a mess. Momuz is right about the bins, we really need containers. That holds for the general store, and the food too. At this rate, all the food will have rotten before winter.

Spoiler: Stockpiles (click to show/hide)

I arrive to the bedrooms. The miners have not finished to dig yet, but they have done a good job.

Spoiler: Bedrooms (click to show/hide)

Finally I visit the tower. My surprise to see that Tosid's blood has spread even further.
- "Why nobody cleans up this blood !!"
- "Rumors say that it is cursed and that touching it will bring Slartibarti's fury", a mason says.
What's that, now the boss seems to be entering superstitions. If things keep on this way, we'll have a cursed tower in few months. Cursed with Tosid's blood… I'm so blasé.

And now, about those migrants…

[See complete map]

j3b4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:45 am »

Among this eager group of migrants comes one bearing the unmistakable seal of Slartibarti. This dwarf is very taciturn but points to his head which is clean shaven but for a couple weeks of hair growth.  He produces a razor and soon reveals Slartibarti's latest instructions tattooed, in tiny letters, on his scalp.

Most Obedient Orion,

We send you this mute dwarf to be your slave and loyal servant.  Welcome him into your household and trust him with your most intimate needs.  He shall not disapoint, for he knows that the slightest infraction or failure to please will result in instant, morbid demotion.

The rest of this entourage have been hand picked by Us to remedy a grave failing in the fortress. Given your recent humiliation at the hands of the were-boar and kobold, and furthermore given the immanent arrival of the walking arts & craft supply shops, (a picture of a goblin is tattooed here), it is imperative that EmeraldCity train the finest warriors and dwarf-law enforcers.  These recruits are all psychologically prepared to grow, with appropriate training, into an elite force.  See to it that their education begins immediately.

We now turn to the topic of the tower.  While Our rage at it's slow pace burns slowly, I detect no treasonous intent, but rather a sweet naivety at fault.  I see from your reports that you felt obliged to build, as is surely correct by dwarven engineering standards, a complete and sturdy floor on each level of the tower.  However, remember the purpose of this construction is to strike fear and awe into the hearts of travellers and passers by.  The interior will remain strictly a high security clearance area for all times and therefore there is no need to fully floor it.  The narrowest of catwalks, along the insides of the tower will more than suffice.  This should conserve stone and allow you to climb all the more swiftly toward the heavens.  I trust I shall see the results of this kind advice in your next report.

We are pleased that you have finally heeded the warnings about cats. Feel free to consume the flesh of any other pastured creature... but never forget YOU SHALL EAT NO LLAMA!

We eagerly await the arrival of the first shipment of fine sceptres.   Listen carefully, when Our Liaison arrives, do not forget that Emerald City will not take any gold or barter in return for the Sceptres.  They should all be entrusted to the Caravan's safekeeping in exchange for a simple receipt which Our Liaison will produce bearing my seal.  This is important for the proper avoidance of certain excise and taxation consequences here in the Mountain Home.  Do not screw this UP! I'm sure you wont.  There there.

I have heard excellent reports from Shake, she is quite pleased with the size of her chambers but given the fact that you have seen fit to burden her with TWO onerous bureaucratic responsibilities I would ask that you see to it that she lacks no luxury.  She should for example not be expected to work in a dingy, unsmoothed rock office devoid of engravings and elegant decor.  We trust you understand our meaning.

On that note,  remember that you yourself, will be required to entertain Our Liaison upon their arrival. And you must not shame us or Emerald City by conducting affairs in a rudimentary work-a-day office.  See to it that your own amenities are sufficiently grand to remind all visitors that you are no two-bit fortress master but Overseer, on a mission from Armok, building the Greatest Monument at the behest of Slartibarti the Ultramarine!

We leave you then, for now.

(The letter ends with merely an enormous and ornate tattooed 'S' which extends all the way down the mute messengers neck)

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 04:53:48 pm »

This world, Dathaanenu, was a real amusement to Armok. But all these entertainments had tired him, he had to rest... He would take a break for a while.

The time stopped.

I won't have time to play at least until monday, and probably thursday next week. Sorry guys (if you mind) !

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »

Well, I won't have time until Sunday (and it doesn't mean I will publish on Sunday but probably even later), so I think I can pass my turn to somebody else. If there is any volunteer to pick up the torch, let me know. Otherwise I will simply continue this later.
Pages: 1 [2]