Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should humans get several civs, based on RL civs? (Asian/Western/Arabic/etc) Only one would be active by default, but players can chose to enable more or play as different ones.

Yes, please give us Vikings and Ninjas and Knights.
Yes, but only if it doesnt take too much work.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to vanilla DF humans as possible.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to MDF humans as possible.
No, I dont like it because it doesnt fit a procedually generated fantasy world.
No, I dont like it, because... (please post the reasons)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66

Author Topic: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode  (Read 146366 times)

Dorenabel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [HUMANS] - Post your ideas
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 04:50:28 pm »

"Fake" animal farms to help FPS by keeping the amount of pets down are possible, but I cant think of a neat way to do this. Plants are easy, Seed in, Plant out. But animal farms... i cant use animals as reagents.
If issue because you need animal - no idea aswell. But fishpond in game already and dwarves could summon some food (i hope they could, but i don't trust to my memory), kobolds could steal it so probably issue isn't in animal.
 If issue because you want to make it neat - i had idea, but it was something like
-use coins to purchase at farm - no farming skill involved.. plain, simple, boring but stable because it was done alot already. And it more like tradehouse rather than farm.
-or worker taking orders signed in 3 exemplars and moving to farm to work there, because he have orders to do so and stock forts with 5 scales/ shear sheep for some wool, etc etc and resulted amount depends from worker skill in shearing or another farming skill related to task. But seems bureaucracy haven't passed idea firewall, so doesn't matter.  :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:56 pm »

Dorenabel, where are you from, if I might ask? (please say japan^^)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 04:56:32 pm »

Well, if you are interested in the kerosene lamp idea, apparently it can be derived from bituminous coal (do you want coke for weapons or kerosene to keep the boogeymen away?), or from "oil shale", which should be easy to mod in. Apparently, in addition to kerosene, it's constituants include iron and nickel. Perhaps if you turn 5 boulders at once into kerosene, you get an extra bar of nickel and/or iron?

In addition, apparently the early english used to cut and polish them into ornaments, maybe giving it a medium material value if you craft it?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 04:59:39 pm »

Oil shale is in the mod already. ;) And candles made from oil should be there as well, simulating what you just described. Dwarf mode should have all of this already. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dorenabel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 05:00:57 pm »

Not really, between me and japan was Japanese sea for 30 years but i never crossed it. Same country as Deon.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »

Oil shale is in the mod already. ;) And candles made from oil should be there as well, simulating what you just described. Dwarf mode should have all of this already. :)

Holy crap, I am off my game today. I'm gunna go play dwarf fortress for a few days to get my knowledge up-to-snuff (bearing in mind my last major fort was over 6 months ago) :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:59 pm »

Not really, between me and japan was Japanese sea for 30 years but i never crossed it. Same country as Deon.
Ok thanks. It was just a thought. When I read your text I automatically kinda read it with a japanese accent, because of the grammar. It remindet me of some friends from japan/korea. Sorry for being offtopic. ^^

Bennerman: Look at kiln and chandler. :)

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 11:29:45 pm »

Had an additional thought.  What about making created artifacts not necessarily a good thing in all cases?  Think the same with some archaeology finds. Dark whispers (or the occasional curse) leading to horrible misdeeds or catastrophe centered around a coveted item.

Thinking of some of the old folk tales regarding a cursed chair that doomed anyone who sat in it to a horrible death before the month's end or the more contemporary 'mummy's' curse that was really just a nasty fungal syndrome caked on a piece of jewelry....  Maybe work it in with the boogeyman idea.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 12:17:12 am »

Human is the race of traders in DF world. But it's not fun if we just play in human race to forge more and more money and buy everything from merchants.
So I'd like to add some fun or maybe !FUN! into humans.

"He needs MONEY to get through the working day."

I don't know if it is possible though. It would be nice to record personal wealth. Maybe you can use the alcohol dependent variables, or a "bank" workshop, or an organ named "wallet" which can be "injured", literally.

Every high-end reaction, from forging a kiteshield to brewing red wine, needs a small amount of coins, and results in wealth increment of the worker who run the reaction. humans tend to waste a lot of labor in minting (and spending) money.

Men would be unhappy if had not earned money for too long. Unemployment is a big problem in human society.

So players should worry about the number of idle men. We can buy some raw material and offer those poor men a job to make some trade goods, and sell them to buy more raw material to produce more goods and coins and more happy workers. It' driven by the human nature of greedy and industrious.

And If you like the paradox of vanilla anvils, you can add coin consuming to the reactions of mint.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 01:14:37 am »

For human religion and clergy, how about you make them do nothing? Like, not that they have no purpose, but rather they reduce the effects of good, evil, and elemental magic around them with the sort of anti-superstition rhetoric that Christian priests used to convict suspected heretics and convert pagan villages. The lower levels of clergy could all have a special skill that temporarily removes all "magical" reactions like fireballs and necromancy from an opponent; while the high priests could possibly deny the existence of titans and FBs while in combat with the things, proving (transforming) that the monsters are in fact ordinary animals like wolves or alligators and making them that much easier to kill. But at the same time, having a powerful church presence would mean that a fortress loses access to beneficial livestock such as unicorns, faedogs, and fire birds.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:18:02 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Jiamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:11 am »

Just took a small look at this thread. No Steel for humans seems a bit odd. I know, humans don't have steel in Vanilla, but in Masterwork, they always had. A Paladin-Armor (Bronze) seems weird. In Vanilla I always thought of the human race as something like ancient Greece (or similar culture in this time period) with bronze and iron weapons. In Masterwork, they looked more Medieval with their Steel Armors and Weapons.
I would think, that steel would be a necessetiy if you want to make them look medieval (like you want it, if I read this thread correctly). Everything above steel, well, I would say is too much for humans I would say.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 05:42:08 pm »

I think the idea in making them playable means moving them back to vanilla humans. Orcs and warlocks don't exist in vanilla so you can take them in any direction you want, but people new to masterwork will see humans and expect them to be vanilla humans with some extras.

This is why like I something to do with adventurers, because most of my interactions with humans in dwarf fortress has been in adventure mode and all the three main races start their adventures in a human town (in current version).

These suggestions require dfhack:
-  Cavalary
- IndigoFenix Pantheon/Religion
- Criminal behavior (maybe possible to fake with interactions)
- Multicultural fort (Currently I can spawn for example a Goblin civ member in a human fort, but all je does is hang around the meeting area and eat/drink. No labors)

What about other races as sterile castes of humans? Would that be too much of a kludge? Humanised/Assimilated dwarves and elves who have long since left their original culture. Or in the cases where their race doesn't have a civilisation at all, they just wandered in from the wild with no where else to go in the way you can make outsider adventurers.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »

These suggestions require dfhack:
-  Cavalary
- IndigoFenix Pantheon/Religion
- Criminal behavior (maybe possible to fake with interactions)
- Multicultural fort (Currently I can spawn for example a Goblin civ member in a human fort, but all je does is hang around the meeting area and eat/drink. No labors)

What about other races as sterile castes of humans? Would that be too much of a kludge? Humanised/Assimilated dwarves and elves who have long since left their original culture. Or in the cases where their race doesn't have a civilisation at all, they just wandered in from the wild with no where else to go in the way you can make outsider adventurers.

The problem with creature castes is that there is no way to control what castes are born, only the frequency in which the castes appear. Even though elves, goblins, dwarves, etc. would be sterile in your suggestion, humans would be able to give birth to dwarves, goblins, and elves.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:40 pm »

Ok, I'm not sure if you can make this, but I think this is a very solid idea:

A magma desalinator. Saltwater and magma go in, the water is boiled in a retort or still, the steam is condensed back into desalinated water, and the salt can be used as a cooking ingredient. Thoughts?

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:59 pm »

Ok, I'm not sure if you can make this, but I think this is a very solid idea:

A magma desalinator. Saltwater and magma go in, the water is boiled in a retort or still, the steam is condensed back into desalinated water, and the salt can be used as a cooking ingredient. Thoughts?

Interesting idea...doesn't seem very humany though. Most salt production by real life humans has been either mining rock salt or old-fashioned solar pond...

OH! You meant the purpose would be desalinization...still doesn't seem very humany.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66