Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should humans get several civs, based on RL civs? (Asian/Western/Arabic/etc) Only one would be active by default, but players can chose to enable more or play as different ones.

Yes, please give us Vikings and Ninjas and Knights.
Yes, but only if it doesnt take too much work.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to vanilla DF humans as possible.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to MDF humans as possible.
No, I dont like it because it doesnt fit a procedually generated fantasy world.
No, I dont like it, because... (please post the reasons)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 66

Author Topic: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode  (Read 148519 times)

Jiamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [HUMANS] - Post your ideas - Added poll
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2014, 12:52:22 am »

I would still say give Humans their steel. As far as I get it they have a hard time getting the ressources for it through mining. They also need quite a lot coke to produce it, maybe make coaldust more garmfull to them to up the difficulty to get metal at all and maybe add a higher accident risk ar the "steel smelter" because they can't work as well under the heat as dwarfes for example.
The dwarven smith could make it easier to get stell mid to late game, as long as you got some poor idiots miners to get the ores.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2014, 04:56:41 am »

The most defining element of humans SHOULD be the ability to use mounts.

However, that is not possible as far as I know in the game. Unless you make a really weird "mounted" caste that is basically a centaur lol

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:17 pm »

Would definitely leave the compact peat reaction on the screw press from dwarf mode since peat was a common source of fuel in some areas classically.  Also, since there is a decided lack of dwarfy strength, the diamonds outta coal thing probably is not appropriate.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2014, 05:51:04 pm »

Judging from the poll: Steel it is.

Wolfram/Titanium etc just from dwarves.
Adamantine not at all, Dwarves wouldnt give this knowledge/metal to humans.
The dwarven merchant would pay a lot for raw adamantine though.

Sounds good?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »

That sounds perfect to me.
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2014, 06:38:42 pm »

I think that you should put a new metal in for humans that only they only have access to... like maybe Aerogel for arrows and bolts and Starlite for armor. I also think that they should be enemy to drows, orcs, goblins, and maybe elfs because humans cause more damage to trees.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »

I think that you should put a new metal in for humans that only they only have access to... like maybe Aerogel for arrows and bolts and Starlite for armor. I also think that they should be enemy to drows, orcs, goblins, and maybe elfs because humans cause more damage to trees.
I vote against this. We have too many kinds of metal now. It's a pain to set uniforms while some pieces are iron, and some are ironbone, and some others are lamellar leather. (I'll bring ores on embark and don't touch ironbone anymore, when play as dwarves.) I think we should not put in new metals for every new race unless necessary.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2014, 08:56:33 pm »

Sounds good?

Good.

Another question about tech level.
You should give human enough tech to build high-pressure chambers and make artificial diamonds. That's because you said this in dwarf manual:
And the most awesome show of dwarven might: Press coal together so hard, that it becomes a diamond. Humans need high-pressure chambers for this, but dwarves do it with their biceps.

Jiamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2014, 01:18:35 am »

Sounds good?

Yes, it does.

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2014, 01:37:16 am »

Welp, I actually had a pitch for a Human Empire plugin that I was holding until I actually figured out dfhack/lua. Your ideas are really close to what I had in mind though.

My idea for the central "idea" of the human race was that money should rule everything.

The most basic custom building for the humans would be the Caravan stop, which would allow you to sell basic luxuries (Gems, Bullion,Silk, Spices, Wines, dyes) , and purchase Guild writs, which would work like the trade permit item for the dwarves. Guild writs would allow you to build Guildhouses, which would be the backbone of the progression system. Guildhouses would handle the training humans to castes, and would allow the purchase of building and item schematics.

For example: The basic forge would only allow basic, shoddy armor and weapons to be made (Humans are not natural craftsmen like the dwarves). However once the blacksmith's guild is built, you can buy the schematics for the advanced forge (which would take a few other tools like grindstones, calipers, hammers, etc). The advanced forge would then be able to produce any advanced weapon or armor that you've purchased the schematics for. You could then have an even more expensive forge available for older forts.

The other way that I felt that a gold economy could affect the humans, is to have them start at peace with every not-entirely-monsterous civ at the start, and have the different races declare war once the player has amassed enough gold.

---

Another Idea that I had was that since humans are really the only "farming" race in a lot of fiction, why not give the ability to do horticulture?

There would be different "tiers" of each human-only crops, of which only the basic will be available. When seeds are produced, there would be a small chance to produce a cluster of seeds of the next tier (If this is not available, a horticulture station that takes in seeds and has a chance to return an upgraded seed would do).

An example would be:

Wild corn would be extremely low value food, and could not be used to produce much of anything other than animal feed.

Domesticated corn would have a higher value than most other plants, would grow in larger clusters, and  could be used to make various powders/extracts and corn whisky.

Improved corn would be yet more valuable and efficient, and could be used to make higher tier food items, or even industrial ethanol for other reactions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2014, 03:00:18 am »

Avacado, these suggestions are amazing. Horticulture can be done and using the guilds as basis I wanted to do anyway... but your idea is even better. If the guilds cost gold than players will have to start with trading... then build one industry at a time, getting better gear and tradegoods, unlocking more industries because they make more money.

And I finally know what to do with paper. Printing paper money. :)

icy03406: That was more a joke. RL modern humans have high prrssure chambers for that, not medieval ones ;)

No new metals. New plants or maybe silk types (luxury tradegoods again), but we have enough metals.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HereticUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 05:31:12 am »

I think adding steel for the humans was definitely a good idea, plus removing Adamantine to make them different to the dwarves was a good move as well.

What about magic for humans? Whenever I think of humans (in a fantastical world) I always think of priests and paladins from WoW or some similar lore. In which case I would say the single God/Christianity style religion could be quite good for that as it would tie-in nicely. Alternatively, a multi-god religion could work well when tied in with magic: priests of each god could have access to different spells.

I, for one, would prefer the multi-god religion because that could add a lot of variety to the humans.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2014, 08:36:51 am »

Just a personal note as the modder who will have to do the work: Religion and Magic are a lot of work, hard to balance and are so high-end that most players wont use them. Thats why I wanted to focus o. guilds and traders first.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2014, 10:14:18 am »

Perhaps, instead of trade permits,  you could have items, similar to the orcish slaves, that you purchase from the caravan, such as "trader", "dwarven smith", or "guild representative". You could then use them to build Trade buildings, guildhalls, and other advanced buildings. They would basically be coming along with the caravan, and then you'd "hire" them, by buying them.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2014, 11:41:04 am »

If you are going to go the siege cannon/mortar route (given the muskets/hand cannons humans already bring in MW), maybe make them setup like the arbalest, but have a much slower rate of fire with ammunition based abilities.  It just would not make sense to be able to switch between solid/grapeshot/incendiary with some toggle as it should require some preparation to keep such a setup supplied with ammunition (and powder).  Maybe some ammunition storage item like a brass monkey (that has problems with scattering its contents when freezing).  As another point, don't make ammunition recoverable (grapeshot/burning/booming) or immediately reusable for solid shot (the spent cannon ball would have to be recast if it didn't completely shatter).  Cannons/mortars should definitely be something that would be setup in a static location and be torn down to be moved.

I think I'm starting to get a bit far afield on ideas, but something about a screaming horde of invaders coming around the corner into the waiting jaws of doom is appealing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 66