Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should humans get several civs, based on RL civs? (Asian/Western/Arabic/etc) Only one would be active by default, but players can chose to enable more or play as different ones.

Yes, please give us Vikings and Ninjas and Knights.
Yes, but only if it doesnt take too much work.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to vanilla DF humans as possible.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to MDF humans as possible.
No, I dont like it because it doesnt fit a procedually generated fantasy world.
No, I dont like it, because... (please post the reasons)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 66

Author Topic: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode  (Read 148745 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [HUMANS] - Post your ideas - Added poll
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2014, 12:53:57 pm »

i wanted to make cannons like the turret creature that dwarves have, with three differences:
 - They shoot extremely slowly.
 - The projectiles explode and do massive damage/fire.
 - They need to be manually loaded after each shot.

Loading would work like this: Cannon stand on or next to a small workshop, the arsenal. Or whatever name fits well for powder and cannonball storage. These workshops are cheap and you will probably make several along you walls. A human runs the "load cannon" reaction which costs one cannonball. It gives the cannon creature the interaction to shoot once. It would shoot automatically and on invaders in sight, across zlevels. This means you could have the cannon in line of sight of enemies, but your human civilians are just out of sight, which allows them to reload in combat. The cannons AI would also ignore most wildlife, its pretty much against other races only.

Cannons would be build at a specific forge, ammo as well... and they can be upgraded with higher skills that allow them to shoot more precise.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:46:49 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2014, 03:48:50 pm »

Cannons sound good but how will humans get access to gunpowder since its very high in the tech tree for dwarfs?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

Its not high end. You can make it first year. Researcher => research chemistry => build chemist.

Brimstone and Saltpeter can even be made from potash (unlimited) and gypsum.

For humans it would obviously be tied to guilds. Alchemists Guild? Blacksmiths Guild? Cannons should be high end. Or at least expensive.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:45:43 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »

I was about to say that the canon sounds obnoxious, but then I actually read what you wrote. You seem to have thought of everything ^_^

Just a thought, maybe the workshop that you mount the canon on could be called "canon mount" or "canon turret" to make it clear that you are supposed to put the canon on it.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2014, 06:26:35 pm »

One added note on cannon batteries.  Any chance on using the probability reaction to generate a misfire (which could be anything from jammed to calamitous chemical catastrophe)?  Other than the manual loading, there's the usual need for something to somewhat discourage people from just lining up bunch of cannon side by side.  Though now that I think about it, you could simulate something like the hulk of a large pirate ship wrecked on a beach with that setup....

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2014, 06:45:19 pm »

While thinking about human ideas myself, I personally enjoyed this direction just to add ideas to the discussion.

A very imperialistic group devoted to purging the land of the unclean for the greater will of god. A huge focus on a christianity like religion, but with an even more extreme devotion to it, fantasy style, almost similar to some of such religions among humans in Warhammer. Human branding of religious runes, clergy, devotion above all else. I pictured a 19th century russian appearance/weaponry, great coats, ushankas, huge bardiches/melee weaponry and muskets/gunpowder weaponry. Huge focus on masonry and carpentry, mining allowed, but less or no living underground, lack of sun = depression. I pictured possibly similarities to Khador of Warmachine. Also of course, vodka. You could also take all of this and mix it with a germanic steel knight reiksguard type of deal.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2014, 06:49:14 pm »

While i can belief that powder sometimes didnt fire, I dont think that they ever exploded. Its a big chunk of metal, after all. If I add misfiring, I predict people coming by with "bug reports" about cannons that dont always fire.

They can miss their target, I count that as missfire enough.

Maybe a 5x1 and a 1x5 workshop would be good. Human works in the middle, cannons stand at both ends near open space or fortifications.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2014, 06:57:41 pm »

Vherid, that sounds highly specific, and not RL medieval at all. Its like the suggested berserker idea, someone else made... not a bad idea in itself, but Berserkers are more celtic/tribal/germanic and historically way before the dark medieval ages.

Same goes for Comrade Warhammer Inquisition. ;) 19th century appearance and weaponry is not what I had in mind for an integral part of Masterwork DF. Remember, other races will have to fight against them. (or trade with)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2014, 07:11:06 pm »

Yes it is very specific, but just ideas I had for some other race or human repaint of my own.

However the idea of making these guys "realistic" and equating to RL medieval, is a really weird idea to me, considering the base game, and furthermore this mod itself doesn't really apply to that, at all.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2014, 07:21:17 pm »

The idea is to make them easy to learn and play. Warlocks and Gnomes are so unique and different from dwarves, that I wanted something simple, for players that say: Warlocks, no, they are so odd and I dont even know what I am supposed to do.

If the playable humans are based on expanding features that are already known from dwarf mode and are naturally accessable because people know them from RL historical knowledge... it should ease their way into playing them.

Gnomish rocketboots and brainjack? wtf. I dont even. Pylons? Feral Ghouls? Shadowbeasts? O.o
Human halberds and turnips? Hey, I know these words. You eat one and hit people with the other.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:23:11 pm by Meph »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2014, 07:24:29 pm »

Well that makes sense then, I figured dwarves would be the case for that, considering they're the vanilla race

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2014, 07:36:18 pm »

Most fantasy settings use humans as the basic go-to race with no special abilities... but this thread exists to gather ideas, so keep them coming. But of course its clear what direction I am leaning towards, and feedback so far has been positive about it. :) (i remember several complaints about too much warhammer and/or too much magical stuff, which is also a reason to do a very grounded race)

dshannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2014, 07:41:17 pm »

Human halberds and turnips? Hey, I know these words. You eat one and hit people with the other.

Yup mhmm mhmm, I would totally hit a kobold with a turnip, hmmm :D kabob halberd?

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2014, 08:25:29 pm »

Avacado, these suggestions are amazing. Horticulture can be done and using the guilds as basis I wanted to do anyway... but your idea is even better. If the guilds cost gold than players will have to start with trading... then build one industry at a time, getting better gear and tradegoods, unlocking more industries because they make more money.

And I finally know what to do with paper. Printing paper money. :)

icy03406: That was more a joke. RL modern humans have high prrssure chambers for that, not medieval ones ;)

No new metals. New plants or maybe silk types (luxury tradegoods again), but we have enough metals.

How about making paper money require one sheet of paper and one sheet of cloth? There is simply zero chance of 100% paper notes surviving in the hands of middle aged peasants.

How about adding mulberry trees as both a source of food, and a requirement for silkworm farms, as another renewable source of silk? The best part is, you can use them for both at the same time (The silkworms only eat the leaves, and the people only eat the berries).

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »

Humans in Dwarf Fortress seem to be based off of both Middle Eastern (pyramids, head veils, predominantly square buildings, scimitars, ect.), and Mediterranean (bronze and copper are the predominant metals, pantheons and temples) cultures more then they are medieval western European. On religion, I'd say it should be possible for humans to be either monotheistic or pantheonic based on the civilization in question, but until Toady allows such variance, it would perhaps be more accurate to make them polytheistic given the current assets. Definitely keep an option for human civs to variate heavily in the future, however.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 66