Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should humans get several civs, based on RL civs? (Asian/Western/Arabic/etc) Only one would be active by default, but players can chose to enable more or play as different ones.

Yes, please give us Vikings and Ninjas and Knights.
Yes, but only if it doesnt take too much work.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to vanilla DF humans as possible.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to MDF humans as possible.
No, I dont like it because it doesnt fit a procedually generated fantasy world.
No, I dont like it, because... (please post the reasons)

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66

Author Topic: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode  (Read 148553 times)

Nevets_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode
« Reply #930 on: July 22, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »

I just built an alchemist and the pearlash reaction isn't there either.

friendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 23, 2016, 11:21:49 pm »

Is it normal to have a human diplomat that won't leave? It says that he's here to "relax" as well, but he's been doing so for a while. He's already met and concluded meetings with leader.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 24, 2016, 04:48:29 am »

Diplomats in the new version seem to stick around longer - around a year or so.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 30, 2016, 04:31:21 pm »

today I noticed that Weapon merchant stall - "sell battle pick" can also use (sell) halberds and spears. Not sure about other weapon types.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 27, 2016, 12:50:51 am »

War kennels are very disappointing.  I was expecting something more in line with the old gnome system, instead I just get an untamed dog that interrupts everyone. Correction, starts fights with everyone.  And then dies.

I'd rather have easier fertilizer from the farmer's guild than wild dogs.  Only using that guild to convert farmers into better farmers.

Screwpress will become useful once I start working on library.  Wicker is meh as long as there is wood around.  It can be useful in some situations.  Herbalist is okay, though I never bother with poisons except with bolds.  Haven't built it yet so don't know if there are options for fighting disease there.  If so it's a LOT more interesting and useful.

War kennels are a gaping hole at present.  They need a lot of work, or need to be replaced.

Edit:  On reflection the advantage to the War Kennel COULD be that it's much faster than breeding.  But that assumes the output is tamed dogs, not wild ones.  I'd suggest a bone or several bones instead of a toy though.  The meat, chain, and cage inputs are fine.  Even better would be if the output was war dogs.  They could be neuter also.

Of course, if the plan is for a more robust system like the old gnome one...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:59:48 am by vonsch »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #935 on: September 06, 2016, 02:58:20 pm »

The plan was indeed to train combat skills of animals and to put armors on them, but I needed to wait for Roses scripts to finish. I think by now I should be able to do those.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Metaltooth

• Bay Watcher
  • Icon of Sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 06, 2016, 04:53:11 pm »

Question

How do I keep these arseholes happy when it keeps raining?
Is there something I can counter it with thatll make them happier
o̗͕̘̯͈̺r̬e̶̻̗̲̹m͎̘̹͓̦̼̟͝o͕̮̦R͇̥̻̭͟ ̕ņ̗h̪̰̱o̢J͚̬̲ ̧͍̫̜̲͔̺é̤̩̫m̗͍̘̟͖͠ l͇̫̪͖͓̰͝l̕i̮k̻͈̺̱̗ ͙̱̠̥̳̱̘t҉̪s̢͈u͙͉̘̮͘m̳̜̞̳̞̝ ̴͖̠̖̤͕̱u̱̬͚̗͍͞o̢y̴ ̶͚̝̳͇̞e̢̠m̥̤̳̙̣̙̭͢a͚̳̞͉̭g ̛͙e̤̫͉̜͉͘h̗̘̱̤͚͘t̜̺͕ ̴͙͍͉̮̯ņ̘͉̼͓̲ͅi̜̻̰̫̘̠͕w̧̲̘ ̧͔̯o̱̳̘T̗͖

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 06, 2016, 05:52:35 pm »

Question

How do I keep these arseholes happy when it keeps raining?
Is there something I can counter it with thatll make them happier

Compensate for the negative from the rain with an equal or greater positive.  Or use burrows to keep them indoors when it rains?  You could roof over most of the area at least your artisans stay in.  Can't do much about woodchoppers, etc.

I generally go for decent rooms, a super tavern, etc.  I should look into temple too.  And put some nice furnishings along the main paths (master sculptures, etc.)  And sometimes I flat cheat  ;)  (remove-stress in dfhack window while a humie is selected.}

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 24, 2016, 11:19:37 am »

Well I had the oddest time with a merchant stall today... I had a very dwarfy human going through a fey mood wanting yarn thread.... just stating that none of the merchant stall purchased cloth or thread was acceptable.  I couldn't even deconstruct it or sell it back, nor could I get anyone else to use it...

Personal suggestion instead of generic no source material, put out say reed thread/cloth, Llama yarn/cloth, cave spider silk thread/cloth.... the game seems to have a hard time accepting that certain hair is wool, if it doesn't have an associated wool bearing animal....
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #939 on: October 06, 2016, 03:23:53 pm »

And new human sprites, 32x, coming soonish...

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 06, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »

Can humans do anything with hidden gems? I've noticed they don't have Tributes, and I can't seem to sell them either. Is it worth investing in an alchemy guild for all these hidden garnets or should I just save them for moods?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 27, 2016, 02:57:03 am »

So, question, will humans be getting non-"hero" combat castes? I'm just curious, cause from what I read, they used to have an upgrade system for knights of some sort, but it was scrapped because of some issues with it or something; the 5 fighting ones also seem to be more geared for adventure mode or something, rather than fort mode. I'd be happy with just two, since they seem like they might be gimped for nonstatic defense with harder learning on.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #942 on: October 27, 2016, 07:50:28 am »

So, question, will humans be getting non-"hero" combat castes? I'm just curious, cause from what I read, they used to have an upgrade system for knights of some sort, but it was scrapped because of some issues with it or something; the 5 fighting ones also seem to be more geared for adventure mode or something, rather than fort mode. I'd be happy with just two, since they seem like they might be gimped for nonstatic defense with harder learning on.
I can easily add some, but so far you are the only person to request it.

If I ever make a human-focused update, I probably add them. :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 27, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »

I can easily add some, but so far you are the only person to request it.

If I ever make a human-focused update, I probably add them. :)

Am I really? I figured other people would have noticed they didn't really have joinable analogues for the other races' combat castes.  :-\

My suggestion then would be a State Army enlistment building with Armsmen to do melee stuff and Marksmen for ranged fighting along with  of course, using gold to bulk-order shipments of equipment for your new State Infantrymen (which a small chance of not succeeding, to represent lost, stolen, or misfiled orders.)

Perhaps sets of armor divided into simple, basic, and elite (buying cheap sets of helmets, mail, and leather armor, fairly priced sets of full regular armor, and sets of very expensive/extortionately priced plate armor.) In addition to a bulk order of standardized bronze or iron spears, axes, and crossbows - the weapons of the common man. It'd also be a good money sink if you have everything you feasibly need but your militia/mineral wealth is lacking.

While we're on the topic of a human focused thing, I'd also advise having actual values instead of leaving the variable setting, probably with an emphasis on craftsmanship, commerce, and skill at arms (good products sell for more and good soldiers are needed to protect caravans and investments; the fact humans are also almost always at war with someone somewhere in a given world-gen would make that fit.)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 27, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »

Heh, i almost expected the workers to be distinguished between white (office traditionally), blue (manual labour) and pink (customer service & entertainment) collar workers portrayed literally in colored rags. Looking good though.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66