Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should humans get several civs, based on RL civs? (Asian/Western/Arabic/etc) Only one would be active by default, but players can chose to enable more or play as different ones.

Yes, please give us Vikings and Ninjas and Knights.
Yes, but only if it doesnt take too much work.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to vanilla DF humans as possible.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to MDF humans as possible.
No, I dont like it because it doesnt fit a procedually generated fantasy world.
No, I dont like it, because... (please post the reasons)

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66

Author Topic: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode  (Read 148638 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode
« Reply #945 on: October 27, 2016, 05:16:42 pm »

I'd also advise having actual values instead of leaving the variable setting, probably with an emphasis on craftsmanship, commerce, and skill at arms (good products sell for more and good soldiers are needed to protect caravans and investments; the fact humans are also almost always at war with someone somewhere in a given world-gen would make that fit.)

What exactly did you mean by that?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 27, 2016, 05:25:29 pm »

I'd also advise having actual values instead of leaving the variable setting, probably with an emphasis on craftsmanship, commerce, and skill at arms (good products sell for more and good soldiers are needed to protect caravans and investments; the fact humans are also almost always at war with someone somewhere in a given world-gen would make that fit.)

What exactly did you mean by that?

Unlike the other races, they have no preset values, instead they still have vanilla's variable range of -30:30 - this means that you could have what is explicitly played up as a merchant race that hates trade and commerce, among other things.

I've also found the humans are among the most aggressive races in world gen, probably tied with orcs and ferric elves in fact (both of which are also almost excessively prone to waging wars on their neighbors.) Very seldom do I find a human civ that hasn't within the last decade or two of world-gen ending, been at war with someone - including groups of humans in the same civ; and more often than not, they tend to be the aggressor. Favoured targets I noticed, tend to be elves, orcs, and kobolds.

As such, commerce and good quality products (that is craftsmanship) should logically be high on thier list, with skill at arms close behind them, just as examples for what masterwork's humans may value as a general rule.

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 08, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »

I'm quite curious on how the underground living for humans work. I know theoretically they get sick, and whatnot, but how is it implemented? Is it through the CAVE_ADAPT tag?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 08, 2017, 08:41:02 pm »

I'm quite curious on how the underground living for humans work. I know theoretically they get sick, and whatnot, but how is it implemented? Is it through the CAVE_ADAPT tag?

in creature_civ_human
Code: [Select]
[CAVE_ADAPT]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:MINING:25]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:SPELUNCAPHOBIA_MW]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:33600]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:SPELUNCAPHOBIA_MW_SLOW]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:3050]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]

from interaction_masterwork:
Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:SPELUNCAPHOBIA_MW]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
  [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:LIGHT]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
  [IE_TARGET:A]
  [IE_IMMEDIATE]
  [SYNDROME]
    [CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:10:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10000:END:20000]
      [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT:18400:26800:REQUIRED]
    [CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10000:END:20000]
      [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT:26800:33600:REQUIRED]
      [CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10000:END:20000]
      [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT:33600:NONE:REQUIRED]

[INTERACTION:SPELUNCAPHOBIA_MW_SLOW]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
  [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:LIGHT]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
  [IE_TARGET:A]
  [IE_IMMEDIATE]
  [SYNDROME]
    [CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:50:START:0:PEAK:3050:END:20000]
      [CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT:3050:NONE:REQUIRED]

and there is your answers.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 09, 2017, 02:06:06 am »

Thanks a lot! I for some reason thought it was on cave adaption, so I went searching all over the files for it and comparing to vanilla.

Balgias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 05, 2017, 09:13:18 am »

What is with the buildings included in this image, and why aren't most of them in this latest release? ( don't keel me about the image size, I thought this forum might have some sorta downscale thing. )
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:37:02 am by Balgias »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 05, 2017, 12:18:43 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean, are you confused about how to upgrade your guilds/markets?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Balgias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 05, 2017, 06:13:00 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean, are you confused about how to upgrade your guilds/markets?

The current version of the mod doesn't advertise universities, illumination, council, military garrison, ect ect

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 05, 2017, 07:55:56 pm »

Did you check the furnaces section? That's where Meph puts the more academic/arcane stuff.

Balgias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 08, 2017, 04:16:18 am »

Did you check the furnaces section? That's where Meph puts the more academic/arcane stuff.

I don't see anything like that in the furnaces section.

Note: I've also not yet been offered to become a barony, despite my 1.4mill created wealth, and I've also only ever been invaded by night creatures ??? I embarked on a map with atleast 9 or so other hostile civs nearby, what gives?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 08, 2017, 08:35:27 am »

Universities were never implemented... most of what they were set to do was already moved to the guilds.

I think you are looking at an old planned graphic that never fully got finished.  pretty much if you can't find it in the build list it never made it in or it has been removed long before I came along.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 09, 2017, 03:11:48 pm »

I don't see anything like that in the furnaces section.

Note: I've also not yet been offered to become a barony, despite my 1.4mill created wealth, and I've also only ever been invaded by night creatures ??? I embarked on a map with atleast 9 or so other hostile civs nearby, what gives?

That graphic was for the legacy 34.11 version of masterwork. If memory serves, the humans there should have those buildings. Same goes for the barony thing.
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 24, 2017, 09:08:23 pm »

After 10 ingame years of human mode... some observations:

Like the person above, I've only ever (10 years, 3 different fortresses) been invaded by night creatures. Nothing and no one else. Twice I got the message 'an army is invading from the north!) but no army actually showed up. I've also never been offered to become a barony so that might have something to do with it.

Funny thing is, my human civ is at war with another human civ and THE VERY INSTANT I retire a fortress and a baron / nobles are appointed it starts to get sieged by other humans like crazy. Like, the very next month (this happened with both my retired fortresses, both the same human civ). Sieges about twice a year.

I enjoyed my humans immensely, BUT: the inability to join a garrison, coupled with the harsh exp penalty for combat skills without garrisons, was too harsh in my opinion. Dwarves get to become legionnaires, why don't humans? I spent year after year training up my soldiers in a library and it was soooooo much micromanagement to get them anywhere. Sure, the standard guilds offer some xp bonus to some skills, but that's more micromanagement and afaik you can only get one combat skill boost from a guild. Also no stat boosts.  Seriously, humans need garrisons.

I also found the guild skill boosts to not be intuitive at all. Why do farmer guild members not get any grower skill bonus? Or clothiers no clothesmaking skill bonus? And merchants get 3 different weapon skills... huh. This was very confusing. I ended up not using the guilds at all.

That said, the tech tree was super awesome, lots to discover and something refreshingly different from vanilla dwarf mode.

Just my 2 cents in case someone wants to keep working on the mod at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:13:23 pm by Saeldanya »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 26, 2017, 10:43:57 am »

After 10 ingame years of human mode... some observations:

Like the person above, I've only ever (10 years, 3 different fortresses) been invaded by night creatures. Nothing and no one else. Twice I got the message 'an army is invading from the north!) but no army actually showed up. I've also never been offered to become a barony so that might have something to do with it.

Funny thing is, my human civ is at war with another human civ and THE VERY INSTANT I retire a fortress and a baron / nobles are appointed it starts to get sieged by other humans like crazy. Like, the very next month (this happened with both my retired fortresses, both the same human civ). Sieges about twice a year.

I enjoyed my humans immensely, BUT: the inability to join a garrison, coupled with the harsh exp penalty for combat skills without garrisons, was too harsh in my opinion. Dwarves get to become legionnaires, why don't humans? I spent year after year training up my soldiers in a library and it was soooooo much micromanagement to get them anywhere. Sure, the standard guilds offer some xp bonus to some skills, but that's more micromanagement and afaik you can only get one combat skill boost from a guild. Also no stat boosts.  Seriously, humans need garrisons.

I also found the guild skill boosts to not be intuitive at all. Why do farmer guild members not get any grower skill bonus? Or clothiers no clothesmaking skill bonus? And merchants get 3 different weapon skills... huh. This was very confusing. I ended up not using the guilds at all.

That said, the tech tree was super awesome, lots to discover and something refreshingly different from vanilla dwarf mode.

Just my 2 cents in case someone wants to keep working on the mod at some point in the future.

1) That's probably a vanilla feature, armies have to travel from one of their sites to reach you. If you're out of the way, on a different landmass, or if they just decide to take a shortcut through a terrifying jungle filled with undead, nobody will be able to reach you. It also might be that you're being invaded, but everyone that shows up is too stealthy to be seen unless until a fortress member bumps into them. Try pasturing some cats outside along the edge of the map as bait.

2) Also a vanilla feature, AI forts attack eachother at random as soon as the rumor mill mentions that a target exists, but with player forts there's some extra settings that keep them from jumping the gun, namely your exported wealth and population.

4) The guilds work fine ingame, Dwarf Therapist is just bugged and displays the wrong skill boosts.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:18:36 am by LMeire »

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 26, 2017, 03:49:50 pm »

I don't think the lack of sieges (except *mancers with animated minions) is a vanilla feature. All 3 different starting locations were affected, each one was in a different part of the world. I had several millions worth of exported and generated wealth with 2 of the 3 forts. One of the forts experienced more megabeasts attacks than the others, but again, no sieges whatsoever except *mancers. Judging by the map, all 3 locations were easy to reach.

For my new game I chose a near extinct dwarven civ that's already at war with succubi. Should be !FUN! :D

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66