Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should humans get several civs, based on RL civs? (Asian/Western/Arabic/etc) Only one would be active by default, but players can chose to enable more or play as different ones.

Yes, please give us Vikings and Ninjas and Knights.
Yes, but only if it doesnt take too much work.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to vanilla DF humans as possible.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to MDF humans as possible.
No, I dont like it because it doesnt fit a procedually generated fantasy world.
No, I dont like it, because... (please post the reasons)

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66

Author Topic: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode  (Read 146355 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode
« Reply #960 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:08 am »

Tbh it is a vanilla issue - I'm not sure about what races the three hostile civs were, but if they only have one active season set it seems like its very rare for them to even show up.

I've noticed that too when I was meddling with my own mod - a race with only one active season wouldn't even show up even if the population triggers were reached - lowering the population triggers and making them active in all seasons did however seem to help atleast a bit - I got ambushes so that's a start.

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 28, 2017, 07:52:31 am »

Well, my new game with dwarves (the fortress is close to a former human fort) is now getting considerably more attention. Goblins instead of forest imps. Undead succubi. Even had a very unlucky human thief stop by. I now get visiting guild representatives, this never happened when I played humans, though maybe that's something only humans do if you play a nonhuman civ? And other civs now actually show up in the 'C' list even if they are not trading partners, this also wasn't the case with my 3 human forts. I made sure all of my 3 human forts had 4 or more hostile neighbors.

This is just a suspicion, but I think there's an issue with humans related to the fact that they never get offered barony status. It's like other civs don't fully recognize the existence of the player fort until it is retired, though they do send caravans. Wild animals, megabeasts and *mancers do (those are the ones who always showed up for !FUN!), but not actual civs. It's not just me, another person above had the same experience.

Possibly related (or not):

My human adventurer belonging to the same civ couldn't sleep at a retired, fully inhabited human fort. Got the 'you cannot rest until you leave this site' message. While inside the inn!
In adventure mode, no one had anything at all to say about that (very recently retired) human fortress, not even if they were close by. People only talked about my older forts that had been retired for several years or longer, even if those forts were much farther away. If I tried asking about it, the name never came up in the menu. The fort in question was my wealthiest and most long-lived by far.

If anyone played humans with the current, modified version for 43.05 and actually got sieged by something other than tower inhabitants, please speak up!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:12:54 am by Saeldanya »

meryilla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 28, 2017, 03:41:14 pm »

Unfortunately I suffered from the same experience Saeldanya. Ran a Human fort for four years in-game and got a single titan and megabeast attack and multiple werebeasts turning up but no sieges, ambushes or even thieves(!). I never got promoted to a barony either despite being way above the requirements, however I did read about a similar issue in vanilla occurring whereupon the diplomat won't offer the barony to you unless there is no caravan on the map - which is a problem as the diplomats usually arrive with said caravans!

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 20, 2018, 03:37:04 pm »

Sorry to Necro, but this is still an entirely valid discussion thread with no alternative place for human-mode to replace it.

So, what's going on with human-mode? Any idea whether the problem with not being sieged or interacted with posted above is resolved or even if it was a real thing?
The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 31, 2018, 07:52:28 am »

I've played a good bit more of human mode, and I feel like there's a few things missing/ a bit off. Mostly the military caste stuff, the military castes just seem way too rare by pop ration, with one in every thousand humans being born in marksman/guards castes and one in every hundred being a squire. With an average fort being at most 100-200 you're never going to have more than one or two people in the military castes by birth. It'd be fine, but the Garrison building needed to recruit people into military castes isn't buildable, and the reactions to transform people using it don't seem to be there either.

I feel like guild membership should be more common, since it's really the main gimmick of humans, along with guns (Which I think would be more appropriately built at a workshop rather than bought; If guns are the human thing, bought from them by other civilizations, it only makes sense for them to be craftable within the settlement).

I'm not an experienced modder, but I'm happy to try to get something working to resolve those issues, if other folks agree with my thinking on what's wrong.
The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

pirotitan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 13, 2018, 03:55:32 pm »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and masterwork (but not new to DF), So apologies in advance if I am asking a question that has an obvious answer.
 I have built my first human fortress and it is slowly leading early into its third year. I have set up a Bladesman squad militia in the fort in preparation for the succubus baby snatchers and barbaric orchish raids endemic to my region that may show up soon, or so the histories describe. (wealth going up quickly due to some artifacts including a Orchalcum Piston that is worth more than the rest of my fort combined (and also didnt improve the smithing of the moody weaponsmith?? maybe a bug, but dissapointing))
     In any case, I wanted to see if I could pump out some ☼iron musket☼(s) before any raid gets here to hold the fort down at range and have gotten powder created, but I was confused as to how directly to produce the guns themselves - I finally figured out I need a foreign human workshop to build them - but I dont have the Contract (human) to do it.
     (I can make cannons and hand cannons through the engineer guild, I would just prefer muskets as I would rather avoid explosions as of yet, too much Fun this early)

I know after a bit of digging that I can get this by telling a liason from a given civ that I will pay top dollar in an import agreement for a Contract (race), however that could take more than a year if I dont call the caravan spammingly like a talkative in-law.
     The Image included in Masterwork that explains (somewhat) the guilds for humans says above the Human Workshop (foreign) and Human Merchant (foreign) that "You can make the human lisence yourself ;)" however I have yet to find the source on how to do that online or in the image/game.

Could someone explain how to make said Contract (human)?

EDIT: Wait. I found out. I started a new world to test and brought a few on enbark, and then realised that they can be made of any material. I didnt realise that the contract would literally just be a craft item... So for anyone wondering, to make the Contract (human) you need to go to a craft shop, like a forge or craftsman's shop and make it like you would any trade item. its a normal item you can make like a -dog bone ring- or *willow wood statue of a human*... welp, I suppose it was just that easy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:41:39 pm by pirotitan »

Zlorthishen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 17, 2018, 07:55:31 am »

>Could someone explain how to make said Contract (human)?

just go to a craftsman's workshop and make one out of wood or rock.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 29, 2019, 11:43:19 am »

Ok, so I am trying out this Human fort.  I suck at it.
Rough logs, sure used it for the first building so I can get inside rooms and put beds. 
But damn if I'm going to use it for city wall. 
I did 50% slow calendar, so I am only in Autumn of my first year.

1. What's the fastest way to make blocks?  I have carpenter making rough logs to planks, but is it a 1:1 ratio?  It's slow. 

2. Stone blocks sounds good, but I embarked on an aquifer, so no immediate stone quarry yet. 

3. How do I make steel weapons/armors? I embarked with limonite, and marble.  I can't find a metalsmith forge, or smelters. WTF?! 

4. I hated making cheesy spiked balls to trade, nor make wood craft clutter.  How do I get this make money via trade thing for humans work in early game? 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:56 pm »

1. For planks, you need a saw mill, for which I believe you need a carpenter's guild house and one of the extensions. You'd be better off just using the raw logs to build walls with. With the standard carpentry shop, it's a 1:1 ratio.

2. You'll probably be better served with "traditional" mining and make sure the miners come topside to sleep and such to counter the claustrophobia/cave adaptation. Not really able to do an open quarry with an aquifer, unless the water freezes in the area in the winter.

3. Sounds like a bug, though I think for humans the north Smith's guild addon handles alloys. But you should still have access to the regular metal smith forge and smelters.

4. You need coins. Gold, silver, and copper, depending on what you need from the basic stalls, but for guildhouses and extensions you can only use gold. The merchant's guild's north extension handles exchange of different denominations. At the basic stalls you can also sell raw materials - in your case, you can probably sell wood to get some starter funds. And look at the bright side, at least trap parts aren't as insanely valuable as a barrel of meat and lard mashed together. You won't be buying out a caravan with three spiked balls like you will three barrels of prepared meals.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 29, 2019, 01:48:29 pm »

Thanks Splint. 
I'm embarked with 12 in a dying civ name "The Dead Kingdom'. 
One founder was a Squire and I find that pretty cool that he was useless from the start with no labors except train. 

I did not see any Carpenter's Guild.   Maybe I need to unlock it somehow? 

I did see Mason Guild and Merchant Guild in the b-w build workshops menu. 
Just no b-w-f for metalsmith's forge, and no sub menu for list of smelters / magma smelters. 

Question of mining.  I notice carving stairs keep the stairs "inside and no light".  If I channel a few stairs at a time to expose the z-level to light, I can construct to have "inside" and "light" rooms -- will that counter Human mining debuffs?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:53 pm »

Anything exposed to the open will be considered "above ground," preventing cave adaptation (or causing severe adaptation's effects,) and preventing cave flora from growing on that square.

It takes a bit for the adaptation to set in - I've been able to get what I need just fine with 2-3 miners and just getting what I need when I need it. Besides, so long as you don't make the workers live underground they'll take care of countering it themselves when they come up to eat and sleep.

And the guildhall starts as an empty one, you have to pay to set up a guild (costs gold coins,) and then pay further coin for the extensions you need or want.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 30, 2019, 11:41:54 am »

Re-installed, and reloaded by Day 1 save.  I can make the wood burner, smelter, and metalsmith forge now. 

So I embarked with some native gold and minted stacks of 500 coins. 

I build a Guildhall (6 blocks, 4 chairs).

After this, I bought Engineer Guild. I think it costs 500 or 1000 coins. 

Then the confusing part.  How do I use this Mint Coin? 

I think I bought Mint Coin (n).  I realize n means north in this case. 
I bought it 2x not realizing that I can build the north 3x7 section (3 blocks?). 

At this time, I am out of gold coins (because I started another Guildhall for Masons). 

So I am not sure what to expect from the Mint Coin.
How do I mint coin? 
Is this going to be workshop building that I can act like a smelter giving it an input of native gold ores?

Re: Food. 
So do I make farmplots like normal, then Kitchen and Still? 
I do not quite get how a Farming guild will function.  Or is this just extra flavor like some fancy kitchen and fancy still later in the game?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 30, 2019, 12:59:38 pm »

Coin mint is basically a bulk coin producer without fuel being needed. It's function is identical to the dwarven version, the coin press. Gold, Silver, or copper bars go in, coins fall out.

Food is done the normal way, though the farmer's guild handles things that I think the screw press is used for by the dwarves, as well as thatchery, poison application, and apparently, according to the manual, breeding dogs (presumably similar to the kobold breeding warren.)

Manual answers a lot of this stuff, so might be a good idea to address it before posting (I've just been checking to verify before responding.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 04, 2019, 12:23:12 pm »

Ahh, a few things the Manual.html addressed.

1. `b-w-i` Splitting Block workshop is 1x3 in size, use for converting 1 stone boulder into 10 rock blocks. 
2. Splitting block requires Stone Craft labor enabled, not Mason labor.

3. In order to gain coins [500], build Merchant Stalls out of 3 rock blocks. 

4. Merchant Stall - select the merchant you can to Sell to.
Bringing battle axe can get fell trees in early game, so you can sell 10 rough logs for 500 coins. 
Or you can sell 2 feather wood (Good Biome only) logs for 500 coins. 
Evil Biome only logs sell for more, as well as some of the deep cavern fungus logs.

5. Questions: What labor is allowed to sell to Merchant Stalls?  Is it just the Broker? Assigned Bureaucrat positions too? Or anyone?
If I sell threads and cloths to the Merchant Stall - Textile; does the person need Weaving skill enabled?

After obtaining stacks of coins, a little micro-management is needed.

6. `b-w-Ctrl+g` Build Guildhall (7x7) using blocks (wood planks don't work) plus 4 chairs/thrones (early carpenter shop using rough logs, or mason workshop using boulders). 
7. `q` Select what type of Guildhall (Merchant's Guild) for coins (500 or 1000 not sure).
8. Assign a Manager in noble screen if you have not done so.

9. `q-P` Profile the Guildhall, and Assign One specific person yo want to join the Merchant's Guild for 500 coins.
10. `q` Guildhall, Join Guild for 500 coins, and the one assigned profile will go there and become a guild member.
Remove the guild member from the profile list, and assigned the next person you want to join the guild member.

Now here is where I messed up, or was just confused.  And this was how I successfully upgraded the Guildhall.

11. `b-w-Ctrl+n` Build Guildhall Extension North (cost 3 blocks).  I put this 3x7 north of the Guildhall, but I read that it can be placed elsewhere. 
12. `q` on the Guildhall, select buy Extension North (costs 1000? coins), after this, will enable the North Extension.
13. `q` on the North Extension, select the available type of workshop this North Extension is (costs 500? coins).

Ok, so far, so good.

Question: How or where or what menu, do I buy "contracts"?

Manual says I can get it from caravans.  I built a Trade Depot, and traded as normal.  But there is no option to buy contracts. 

I built the Guild Hall - Merchant's Guild (North and West), and it does not have the option to buy contracts either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 04, 2019, 12:39:41 pm »

I don't think any particular skill is needed to buy and sell things from the stalls. For guild extensions... I don't rightly remember, unfortunately. I don't think you need to pay more, but if you do after getting that particular guild extension, then the manual should be updated to reflect it.

Contracts are tool items purchased from caravans.

They'll probably be around the bottom of the list, or under leather and cloth the caravans bring, near the ammo. I don't recall which. Human contracts can also be made by a craftsman at a standard crafting workshop if memory serves, which provides both firearms and ammunition, as well as halberds, bulk loads of fine building materials (obsidian or marble,) or the somewhat expensive option of getting random contracts of other races, so if you want something specific (for example, succubus or orc contracts in a location where you can't really call them,) then you can get potentially get them for an admittedly steep 5000 gold coins.

Makes me think a human fort is in order. Last one I was did I lost the save to, which was rather unfortunate.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66