Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two new challenges  (Read 720 times)

jonsnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two new challenges
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:39:29 pm »

1. You may only have one military dwarf.  You must defend your fort - entirely - with animals.  You may edit the raws to make animals tameable/breedable/war trained.

OR

2.  You may only have one squadron.

The rules are simple - must have 150 population cap.  Only one miner.  No walling yourself in.

So far my fort doing 1. is doing alright.

I embarked with a lot of cage traps, in order to !PRAY! I get something useful.  I dug down deep to where cave spiders are and was able to capture and tame a giant cave spider.

However, !fun happened.  A forgotten beast spawned, and my cave spider ensnared him so he cannot move/do anything and keeps biting his head but never seems to be able to kill him.  Endless spam.

What's this?  A 2nd forgotten beast?  It snuck past the spider and is now killing all my dwarves?   Well Attempt #1 just failed...  stupid gas...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:48:21 pm by jonsnow »

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two new challenges
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 11:24:37 pm »

Id go for it if not for the walling nd miner rules. The single miner just means it will take forever to dig anything and really doesnt matter in the end. I could circumvent the walling rule by making a moat and removing the ramps.

As far as the walling. I believe one should clarify. So is it allowable to build walls to focus baddies to your 1 soldier. Or are you just supposed to dig a hole in an open plane and leave it at that? Where do doors come into the rules? or bridges? A great many forts have no walled defense. Only they are carved into a mountain or volcano.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:57:53 pm »

By "no walling yourself in" do you simply mean you can't seal your fort off from the outside world at any point via bridge, wall etc? If so that seems pretty fair. 

jonsnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:26:29 am »

There has to be a way for the baddies to get to you.  Whether you make a huge maze, or a moat with only one entrance...  that's fine.  This is really hard!

So my most recent fort - I had the crappy luck of only finding a leopard and naked moles.  I'm up to 12 naked moles and 1 leopard, and I've stationed them all at the entrance and then.... goblin invasion.  They all died.   Luckly my one troop managed to kill the remaining surviving goblins (leopards are OP he took most of them himself!).   I am now buying a caged black bear from the elves we'll see how this one, sole, black bear will do.  I am going to figure out how to modify the raws so I can change these animals to be war trained... so I can assign them to my one, sole, dwarf.

The nature of these challenges is just to provide a new unique experience for us that have played DF awhile.  You can circumvent the one miner rule that's fine.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:49:07 am »

Its not so hard. Started out with the ore and flux for a full steel set, and some dogs. All the females are held back with 1 male. Assigned the 2 to my fighter. Then i went full tilt into trap systems. Had my entrance and barracks done so that early kabolds and snatchers are detected deeper into my fort. And the dogs would chase them out straight into my dorf since hes a little slow.