Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cruelty, or just being Dwarven?  (Read 3383 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Cruelty, or just being Dwarven?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 01:58:22 pm »

Ah, now you see there's the issue - I've deleted the fortress... Not very smart I know. I don't have the time right now to replicate it... I'll keep it down in my to do list until I have the time.
...!

That's a shame. Why'd you delete it? It doesn't lend credence to your story.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 06:05:15 pm »

It would not be first nor last made up story on these forums. ;)
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Ghoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 07:35:27 am »

It would not be first nor last made up story on these forums. ;)

Right, you dastardly dimwit, to prove you wrong I've used up my lunch brake to do some !!Science!! (much to the horror of the dwarven merchants).

Creating a new world from scratch, on an unmodded phoebus DF install, I waited for three seasons until the first dwarven caravan. Then crushing a part of the carts with a small bridge, I had access to a caged sow.

I first designated it to be melted, then unforbid it. Then I set the task in the smelter to melt metal objects. My smith then promptly went up to the surface, dragged down the unfortunate sow, and stuffed it and its cage into the smelter.

The sow never reappeared. It was also added to the list of the dead.

I now have this world saved, and I'm confident that this can be replicated by anyone.

I can now say confidently, that you can certainly smelt caged animals that have been unforbidded after the death of dwarven merchants. More science should be done though to determine whether this only occurs to animals brought by dwarven merchants, or if it can happen to unforbidden animals as well.

Unfortunately, having used up my lunch, I've now got to get some proper (although less amusing) work done!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:26 pm »

I think this is worth looking into. I'll try smelting a zombie elf to see if hostiles can be smelted, and I'll also try smelting a sow of my own to validate your claim.

Ghoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 03:46:52 pm »

Do make sure the sow or whatever creature you choose is from a dwarven caravan. Break caravan, designate to smelt, task in smelter, then unforbid, and you will have a dead sow on your hands. And good luck!

Being able to smelt undead body parts would be a far more satisfying (and realistic) way to remove them than simply atom smashing them...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »

Do make sure the sow or whatever creature you choose is from a dwarven caravan.
So you think it is more to do with the caged creature and the cage not belonging to the Fortress that causes the weirdness? As I recall, if a caravan breaks the ownership of the caged animal transfers to the Fort... Also, how is your smelter powered?

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 04:40:41 pm »

Oh man, getting little girls distressed over Dwarf Fortress is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.  'hey, my archer squad is dressed entirely in Unicorn leather armor!'

Ghoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 05:04:14 pm »

Oh man, getting little girls distressed over Dwarf Fortress is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.  'hey, my archer squad is dressed entirely in Unicorn leather armor!'

Lol, Unicorn armour's not something I've got round to yet! Unfortunately she's not quite as small as that though - doesn't seem to mind me crushing merchants, or throwing magmanauts into volcano's, but for some reason she really didn't like the idea of me ordering the death of a helpless hound. Oh well, in time, I'm sure she'll come to understand...

And yes my best guess would be that it is caused by the item not being initially owned, or the animal not being caged, at/by the fortress. The smelter was powered both times by charcoal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:06:20 pm by Ghoul »

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 09:47:44 pm »

Ah, now you see there's the issue - I've deleted the fortress... Not very smart I know. I don't have the time right now to replicate it... I'll keep it down in my to do list until I have the time.

Falsehood.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."
Pages: 1 [2]