Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF reference in Neverwinter MMO!  (Read 4287 times)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF reference in Neverwinter MMO!
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:23:01 pm »

Playing the Neverwinter MMO the other day, I found a DF reference.  One of the higher level zones is a mountain with dwarves.  In one of their camps, there is a dwarf running around attending to some shrines in the area.  After a while, he took a break and ran up to a stack of kegs saying, "I don't care what they say, I need alcohol to get through the working day!"
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF reference in Neverwinter MMO!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »

Dat feel when you're unsure of wether something is a reference or not ::)

They could have made it more obvious than that. Maybe Toady got the sentence from somewhere else himself?
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:14:34 pm »

I'd say its not uncommon for the generic fantasy dwarf to like his booze, and maybe even be considered reliant. That's just dwarves as they are often imagined.

Now that specific sentence seems like a reference. Its possible its a coincidence, but the possibility that whoever wrote that was unaware of DF and alcohol dependency AND happened to accidentally match the phrase so precisely seems much less likely than the possibility that whoever wrote it knew precisely about DF and alcohol dependency, and wanted to make a reference. But I could be wrong.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:41 pm »

I'd say its not uncommon for the generic fantasy dwarf to like his booze, and maybe even be considered reliant. That's just dwarves as they are often imagined.

Now that specific sentence seems like a reference. Its possible its a coincidence, but the possibility that whoever wrote that was unaware of DF and alcohol dependency AND happened to accidentally match the phrase so precisely seems much less likely than the possibility that whoever wrote it knew precisely about DF and alcohol dependency, and wanted to make a reference. But I could be wrong.

Exactly my thinking too.  There is also a drunk dwarf that gives you quests, but I don't see that as a DF reference.  The precise phrasing is what got me.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:58:43 pm »

I need alcohol to get through the working day!"
'Tis a reference.

More off topic though, I imagine an MMO from a Dwarf's perspective of a DF world would be terrifying. No grinding, no quests. Just survival. You think that's a lvl 2 dingo? Wrong, it's a dingo. 5 dingoes. They just bit your foot. And soon that wound will fester. There are no healing potions, better drink that vampire blood you were saving for a rainy day. And now you thirst for blood! Drinking the blood of that villager was probably unwise, especially whilst doing so right next to a busy well. Word spreads fast, and other players are now out to kill a vampire terrorizing a town that sounds suspiciously like yours...

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:03:10 pm »

it would be so much better if they named that dwarf Urist.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 01:29:57 am »

Completely off topic; but I think my favourite reference was the axe in Haven and Hearth called "Battleaxe of the Twelfth Bay"

Or that one short dude with a beard in Starcraft 2 standing in front of Hanger Bay 12.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:11:38 pm »

I got one but it is not from nwn.

This thread had me thinking about some of my old games I played and I remembered one from way back. It came from an old browser game called Muelsfell that I played a few years before I discovered DF. The game itself is pretty well dead at this point, so I wouldn't recommend it, but it has a fairly obvious nod towards DF.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:47 pm »

Shoot, how'd I miss those Runescape references?

Meh, not like I'll boot it up again anyway. Fun while it lasted.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:15:29 pm »

I got one but it is not from nwn.

This thread had me thinking about some of my old games I played and I remembered one from way back. It came from an old browser game called Muelsfell that I played a few years before I discovered DF. The game itself is pretty well dead at this point, so I wouldn't recommend it, but it has a fairly obvious nod towards DF.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not Neverwinter nights, but Neverwinter MMO.  It is a relatively recent free 3rd person MMO, not the old 3rd person single player game.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile