Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going directly to adventure mode from fortress mode.  (Read 1981 times)

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Going directly to adventure mode from fortress mode.
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:13:23 pm »

Okay so my idea is that when a fort is meeting its inevitable Doom, what if it was possible to, instead of just abandoning the fort, you have the option of taking control of one of your citizens (most likely your champion or top marksman, though it would be interesting to play as a lost dwarf child or craftsdwarf wandering the world) after they leave the general area of the fort? You can return to the site if you wish, but you'll likely run into whatever caused it to fall. I think it would be a neat way to continue a fortress' story as well as expanding that of one (or more, maybe you can start as a party) of its citizens.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:24:16 am by Nostrolo »

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Going directly to adventure mode from fortress mode.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:59:27 pm »

I think being able to play as historical figures is a planned feature. Presumably this would include dwarves from your abandoned fortress.

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:06 pm »

This would be a direct continuation of your fort though, maybe 1 week or X miles after the "abandon fortress" option was chosen.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:09 am »

This would be a direct continuation of your fort though, maybe 1 week or X miles after the "abandon fortress" option was chosen.
As for actually shoe-horning this into the interface, abandoning a fort would create a pre-set in Adventure Mode that puts you in control of a specific offloaded citizen of your fortress (outfitted with whatever the citizen was carrying).  The improved offloading should put the dwarves maybe one embark tile away from the fortress, and any other dwarves in that same tile would be relatively easy to round up as recruits.  The abandon screen could even have a hotkey to whisk you into Adventure Mode with that pre-set.

The first step is, of course, to find the missing bits of armor that the dwarf never successfully equipped.

Toady would need to address that bug wherein siegers turn friendly on abandon.  He'd also need to decide how "lazy" nobles act after their positions are yanked out from under them.  "I refuse to sleep on the ground like a common animal.  I am a Count!  I mandate that you construct a bed for me.  Don't take that tone with me, warrior, I'm your -- Gaaaaaah!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:15:46 am »

you already know all unit can create and control in object testing arena.
Why Not implement in fortress mode like object testing arena?

I don't mean create.But control.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:17:24 am by Philii »
Sorry for Grammar.

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:42:44 pm »

I like that Idea. It would be so useful for pulling levers in emergencies, getting nobles out of harms way, etc.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »

I like that Idea. It would be so useful for pulling levers in emergencies, getting nobles out of harms way, etc.
move2(kill)(useless)noble without burrow.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:07:22 pm by Philii »
Sorry for Grammar.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 12:32:27 pm »

Almost positive this is a very planned feature. The idea is, you'll start as a person, find a site, found a fort with your followers, build up the fort, take control of a child, leave the fort, find a new site, etc. The "Adventure" and "Fortress" gameplay modes are just placeholders for this system. I'm pretty sure.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 03:26:16 pm »

If you really want this, it can be done via DFHack.

Quote from:  dfhack / Readme
You are in fort game mode, managing your fortress and paused. You switch to the arena game mode, assume control of a creature and then switch to adventure game mode(1). You just lost a fortress and gained an adventurer. You could also do this. You are in fort game mode, managing your fortress and paused at the esc menu. You switch to the adventure game mode, then use Dfusion to assume control of a creature and then save or retire. You just created a returnable mountain home and gained an adventurer.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Tardigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:20:47 am »

I like this idea, but would go further; there's no reason this should only be possible when a fort is abandoned. Like "possess creature" in Dungeon Keeper, it should be available all the time. It would be great to use this to possess your Axelord to fight off the goblin siege single-handedly, or (like Nostrolo says) possess a passing soap-maker and rush to the lever room, or just possess a passing peasant for a peaceful wander around your latest megaproject.

As WJLIII3 says, I suspect something along these lines is planned already, though.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 07:36:10 am »

This seems like a good idea. However, if you manage to snatch a few parts of a ☼Adamantine Armor Set☼ and some weapons and leave the place before whatever caused the fortress to fall causes you to fall, the rest of the game would be heavily unbalanced. Other than that, this idea is pretty good.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »

I think part of the awesomeness of Dwarf Fortress is that even if you manage to escape with an adamantine armor set, you can still die pretty much the first day you leave your fort (at least I could, because I'm nubcakes)