Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Use gods to replenish megabeast population  (Read 1073 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Use gods to replenish megabeast population
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:19:30 pm »

Don't you hate to have to decide between long history and having more living megabeasts? I propose adding an even to compensate for dead megabeasts by creating new with divine wrath.

History should say something like this:
[Angered/Bored/Appalled/Offended] by [civilization's name]'s [irreverence/complacency/decadence], [God] had sent [megabeast] to torment them.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Use gods to replenish megabeast population
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:42:45 am »

Release the Kraken!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:08:20 am »

I'd rather have worldgen battles see a bit more work, so some random human ranger can't single-handedly take down dragons and hydras on such a regular basis.

Next release has gods releasing demons to punish the world, so having them release other megabeasts would make sense, and shouldn't be difficult to add.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:22:12 pm »

Not too much of a stretch. Since megabeasts and gods both have spheres, you could probably end up with an appropriate god sending a monster to ravage a civilization that angered it-- say, because some asshole desecrated a shrine.

If Toady gives gods their own ethics files (i.e. what sort of things displease them) you could have things like a god of darkness sending a cyclops to ravage a town that had an entity member that was also a worshiper commit an UNTHINKABLE act. But I suspect something like that is far off, probably around the same time Toady revamps the "Good/Evil" surroundings system.
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 05:06:23 pm »

How ironic if the megabeast sent to punish that civ gets enough people worshipping it that it ascends to the pantheon iteslf...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 05:26:54 pm »

Gods getting offended that other gods sent megabeasts to destroy their followers, pokemon battle time
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »

I like that idea, but I think that should be a rare occurence, and leave megabeast persistence mainly up to improving their reproductive behaviour (as is planned)
Perhaps an offended god can release stronger/unique megabeasts?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:15:24 pm »

I have no problem with the gods creating new megabeasts (or reviving others... or having other things do that)

But I don't think it should really be a sort of mechanic to ensure there is a continuous stream of megabeasts... unless the world just happens to have a god whos job is to make sure there is a continuous stream of monsters (which to admit... exists in some mythology)

Or rather... yeah I do agree with the jist but not the intent of the suggestion.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:32 am »

I have no problem with the gods creating new megabeasts (or reviving others... or having other things do that)

But I don't think it should really be a sort of mechanic to ensure there is a continuous stream of megabeasts... unless the world just happens to have a god whos job is to make sure there is a continuous stream of monsters (which to admit... exists in some mythology)

Or rather... yeah I do agree with the jist but not the intent of the suggestion.
Well then that can be something a god can be allowed to do, once gods are made more meaningful.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in