Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress-inspired Minecraft Server!  (Read 17961 times)

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress-inspired Minecraft Server!
« on: April 12, 2014, 05:48:02 am »

IP:
199.187.123.123:25614

Who We Are:
We are a role-playing Minecraft sever, inspired primarily by Dwarf Fortress. Choose from one of four races; Human, Elf, Dwarf or Kobold and play with a friendly community!

How Do I Join?
Just copy the IP address at the top of the post and play!

A quick run down of the races:

Dwarves
Currently live in the Fortress, Noruzim Thakom. A gigantic stone entrance struck into the side of a massive mountain. Are the only race who can craft things out of diamond and use obsidian.

Elves
Reside in a fairly large, and well built, area called Haven. Lots of trees, lots of statues, and their Home Tree is absolutely huge. Elves are the only ones who can enchant, and they are technically the only ones who are allowed to repair enchanted stuff (apart from diamond, only the Dwarves can do that)

Humans
The humans have been beaten down quite recently, a MASSIVE goblin (pigmen) attack has levelled their colony of Southbridge, so they are currently in the process of re-building, bigger and better than ever. Humans are the only ones who can farm, and make potions.

Kobolds
Kobolds live in the Warren, in the middle of a swamp. Incredibly un-intelligent, little more than beasts, and with loads of restrictions, the kobold race is hard-mode. They have to get-by by stealing things from the other races

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress-inspired Minecraft Server!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:53:08 pm »

Humans are the only ones that can farm?  Eh.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »

I'm going to look around first.  See what the sides have as their bases, then declare a side.

Edit: Since I apparently need to create a character first, what do the bases look like?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:43:18 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 03:44:11 am »

Well the humans are technically the only ones allowed to farm, so they've got huge wheat fields surrounding their town. Dwarves/Elves tend to get most of their food from cattle, and the occasional trade with the humans.

I have no idea how to insert a file :/ So I can't put screenshots up?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:15:01 am »

You need a hosting sevice, for example imgur; upload the image there then use the link provided with the [img][/img] tag (some hosts already give you a tagged link).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 05:40:32 am »

That's the inner town of Southbridge, the humans are now working on a massive project to re-build, I quote "less like a city, and more of a province." Sounds awesome, and it gives the humans MUCH more freedom to build.

This is the outside of the Dwarven Fortress, what you don't see is the 255 block high mountain directly behind it, that the Fortress is actually carved into.

To try and give some perspective, we've got the Grand Elevatus that descends from bedrock, to the very top of the mountain.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:42:07 am by Blackquiver »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:08:34 am »

That does look interesting. What about the other two?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:16:39 am »

This is the Home tree, where the majority of Elf-related stuff happens. All the Elves live in trees in Haven, but this one is the main meeting place.

This is Bloodstone Keep, the Elven stronghold/storage facility.

And this monstrosity is the Kobold Warren. Slap bang in the middle of the swamps, cobbled together from whatever they could find.

Obviously every town is filled with smaller, more intricate builds. I've lost count of how many people have their own distilleries to make alcohol, which the mods then brew up for them using /itemizer potions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:46 am »

Kobolds look like fun. Seeing as you mentioned them having to steal from others, how does it work?

You should look into TerraFirmaCraft mod someday, too, although it might be a bit too hardcore for your needs.

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 06:32:08 am »

Well the thing is with kobolds, they're not really a player-race, they're more of a monster race. Every one of them 'speekz lyk this", they don't have property as such, and just tend to hoard 'shinies', e.g. gold, diamond, emeralds.

They've also got a few things, trying to keep in like with them being monsters, that are essential for survival. Cooking food I think is mechanically restricted, wearing iron armour or better isn't allowed either.

Stealing is also quite restricted, they're not allowed to walk off with stacks and stacks of stuff. It's VERY frowned upon. So Kobolds are hard-mode, if you want to try and survive in a world where just about everyone else hates you, kobolds are your choice.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 09:06:18 am »

Stealing is also quite restricted, they're not allowed to walk off with stacks and stacks of stuff. It's VERY frowned upon. So Kobolds are hard-mode, if you want to try and survive in a world where just about everyone else hates you, kobolds are your choice.

Just out of curiosity, can other races be thieves?  I need to know if I need to watch out for anyone else besides kobolds as well.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 10:07:25 am »

Yes, they can be thieves.

However, just like in real life, no one likes a thief. Rule number 1 on this server is 'don't be a dick'.
But if you are robbed, the thieves are expected to leave a sign with a clue as to which race did it.
But kobolds are the only ones who HAVE to be thieves.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »

Yes, they can be thieves.

However, just like in real life, no one likes a thief. Rule number 1 on this server is 'don't be a dick'.
But if you are robbed, the thieves are expected to leave a sign with a clue as to which race did it.
But kobolds are the only ones who HAVE to be thieves.

Cool.  Too bad about the sign, though it does make sense.  Half wish it wasn't required so a player could've swapped items around, only taking one or two things, and people couldn't tell the difference.

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:25:09 pm »

Bumping

Blackquiver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:55 pm »

Just a post to explain what's currently happening on the server, event-wise.

The main event is a Dwarf/Human war happening off-continent. Me and the human mod are releasing war reports every so many days, currently the Dwarves are sieging Castle Jette, home to the Sons of Dawn, who are a veteran battalion of glowstone-sword wielding humans.

So they're currently embroiled in trying to out-donate each other to determine who is the victor on this one.

Lot's of fluff, lots of roleplaying from each race, it's all good stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3