Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best way to get a werebeast to turn me?  (Read 1826 times)

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to get a werebeast to turn me?
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:40:53 am »

I am currently playing a vampire/necromancer axeman adventurer (and my first peasant). A yak kicked me, seriously messing up my leg. All has healed, except a toe which is "smashed apart" and the leg has an "artery torn". The artery doesn't heal, and prevents me from standing. My goal is to become a werebeast to heal these wounds, and I know where one is. How exactly does one become a werebeast? Does it have to be a bite, or can it be any wound?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to get a werebeast to turn me?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:53:52 am »

It is impossible to become vampire/werebeast in unmodded game. Yeah, your life sucks.

Arteries don't prevent standing. Severed nerves do. Also, nails never ever heal. You can mod them to heal (not cheaty in my opinion - they do heal IRL) by editing "tissue" file in raws (this region raws).

As for the bite itself...
1) Beast must latch with its teeth.
2) Your arm/leg/throat must remain intact after that - if beast shakes it off - no luck. You may kill it or kick its teeth out - you can't free yourself by wrestling. All werebeasts are quite large.
3) You must survive until transformation. There is a small chance for infection to not occur if you have big Disease Resistance.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:38:48 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

thehman03

• Bay Watcher
  • Some cats just wanna watch the world lag.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:00:18 am »

Woah, hang on, it's completely possible to become a vampire or werebeast, you can even become a zombie-like creature. For vampire you just get a peasant to give you a vamp quest, drink his blood, and tada! For werebeast, get one to bite you, most likely performed by having a quest given to you to slay a werebeast on the night of the full moon, then just letting him bite you and running off until he transforms back, it's quite simple. To become a zombie you need to go to an evil biome and step into some zombie mist or some weird thing like that. Hope this help you on your quest, noble adventurer.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:12:39 am »

Woah, hang on, it's completely possible to become a vampire or werebeast, you can even become a zombie-like creature. For vampire you just get a peasant to give you a vamp quest, drink his blood, and tada! For werebeast, get one to bite you, most likely performed by having a quest given to you to slay a werebeast on the night of the full moon, then just letting him bite you and running off until he transforms back, it's quite simple. To become a zombie you need to go to an evil biome and step into some zombie mist or some weird thing like that. Hope this help you on your quest, noble adventurer.

I think Sarrak was saying it is impossible to become both a vampire and a werebeast. And I think I'm already a zombie. Adventuring in evil biomes does that to a guy.

EDIT: @Sarrak, you're right. I have a motor nerve severed in my left foot. Any way to heal that besides werebeast (or using a crutch to stand)?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:18:51 am by Ebonblade7 »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:37:13 am »

Nothing I can think of, really. Modding nerves to heal affects only spinal damage. Useful, but not your case. Go for a crutch, you'll boost some attributes this way while learning to walk again (despite long disscussions about that its not possible for vampire-necro to boost its stats, limit works somewhat buggy and many people reported going superdwarven/human after becoming undead creatures).

It is possible to heal by adding custom interaction for transformation into something, but it requires some knowledge to work properly. You can change knapping/butcher reaction into transformation for that - game won't recognise entirely new interactions.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:49 pm »

Thanks for your help, but I think I'll just nab a crutch and start hobbling around. It doesn't take that long to level up crutch walker. And I have seen my stats improve (once I turned vamp I had above-average. Now I have High Strength, agility, etc.)

EDIT: Where can get a crutch? Can I buy one? If so, at what shop?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:17:40 pm by Ebonblade7 »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »

Crutches can be found in the keeps, dungeouns and camps. Most experienced adventures take one with them "just in case". Really, it can save your life one day. Still, sometimes you can wander quite a long time without finding one... Solution? Retire! And have seven dwarven slaves bring it to you from mountainhomes  ;)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:52:32 am »

It is impossible to become vampire/werebeast in unmodded game. Yeah, your life sucks.

Arteries don't prevent standing. Severed nerves do. Also, nails never ever heal. You can mod them to heal (not cheaty in my opinion - they do heal IRL) by editing "tissue" file in raws (this region raws).

As for the bite itself...
1) Beast must latch with its teeth.
2) Your arm/leg/throat must remain intact after that - if beast shakes it off - no luck. You may kill it or kick its teeth out - you can't free yourself by wrestling. All werebeasts are quite large.
3) You must survive until transformation. There is a small chance for infection to not occur if you have big Disease Resistance.

I once conducted a small study on how the werecurse infection occurs, and I feel obliged to correct a few errors in this post and explain it a bit more.

The criterion to pass the curse is a bit tricky: in order to successfully infect the target, the werebeast must pierce the skin with a bite attack. The latching part is irrelevant. Now the trick is that actually tearing the skin with a bite attack is quite uncommon, because teeth rarely penetrate armor or even clothing.
Latching and subsequent shaking are by far the most devastating attacks by werebeasts, and they ignore armor completely - but themselves, they don't transmit the curse.

To get infected, expose your hands and pray the the werebeast doesn't go for your tasty legs instead.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:22:31 am »

Thanks for correction, you're absolutely right about skin. It's just that in my experience, if attack goes through defense (lowered beforehand by stripping few irrelevant bodyparts of armor), it usually causes beast to latch and penetrate skin. Getting out of combat after that without losing infected bodypart can become quite interesting adventure, but, with great skills, beast can be quickly dispatched.

But I strongly disagree with you at one point: hands. You must give beast your upper or lower arm instead. I had instances when beasts (or even mortals) punched/kicked a hand off and it is almost guaranteed to shake off after latching. Lower/upper arm can endure much more than this, not every beast can shake it off even with a few tries - which gives you plenty of time to kill the bastard or kick his teeth out.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:57:18 pm »

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:40:03 am by Ebonblade7 »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 03:11:22 am »

skip
But I strongly disagree with you at one point: hands. You must give beast your upper or lower arm instead. I had instances when beasts (or even mortals) punched/kicked a hand off and it is almost guaranteed to shake off after latching. Lower/upper arm can endure much more than this, not every beast can shake it off even with a few tries - which gives you plenty of time to kill the bastard or kick his teeth out.
Thing is, it doesn't matter. Once it's torn the skin on your hands, you're already infected. Admittedly, I haven't tested this particular case, but from what I know the curse is already passed when it shakes you around by your hand.
Although you are right about exposing whole arms - that's still better than hands only, because it presents more viable targets to the monster. Better yet would be going against it altogether naked, if you're that sure of your skills.

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 03:11:23 am »

Is there a way to get full moon quicker? It takes ages, I haven't get it yet, tired of sleeping, eating over and over.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:32:10 am by shevtsov200 »

blazing glory

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:31 am »

Is there a way to get full moon quicker? It takes ages, I haven't get it yet, tired of sleeping, eating over and over.

Unfortunatly no,if you look up werebeast on the wiki then it'll tell you what date the full moon will come out,if you press shift+D then it'll tell you the date of your world,so at least you'll know when the moon will come out.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:37 am »

What about using retirement? It speeds time up for a week or so, I'm not absolutely sure. Retire & come back to adventuring, you'll get some jewelry as a bonus, but your fame would be nullified.

-snip-
I'll test shaking off infected appendages and how it affects everything, then. For the SCIENCE!

As for going nude - not a good choice, even for a very badass adventurer. Once I tried to get infected by lying next to werebeast and skipping turns for a while. It eventually managed to stun me with charge, shattered my leg with the help of RNG and kicked me to the head in two consequent actions.

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 06:05:07 am »

Retiring works, thank you.
Pages: [1] 2