Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 146174 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Who's left in Firaxis of the original team?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy cow is PC gamer one of the most annoying websites ever!

I have boarders of diablo 3, little windows with diablo 3, ohh yeah and a huge video advertisement in the middle of what I am trying to read.

I almost want to hate this game just because of the website I had to read up on it. >_<

----

Judging by what is written...

This game might just be a Civ 5 clone in disguise.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:32:35 pm by Neonivek »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

I almost want to hate this game

I'm sure you'll find a reason.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A love letter to the scifi genre sounds just what I needed. Especially as Dan Simmons is a 'big influence'.

The three-path tech/playstyle tree sounds a bit limiting, though - I hope you can branch in several directions, atleast to some extent.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A love letter to the scifi genre sounds just what I needed. Especially as Dan Simmons is a 'big influence'.

The three-path tech/playstyle tree sounds a bit limiting, though - I hope you can branch in several directions, atleast to some extent.

I doubt it

The three path system seems to be in place to sort of limit player involvement in the decision making.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I can't wait.  :) :) :D

Holy cow is PC gamer one of the most annoying websites ever!

I have boarders of diablo 3, little windows with diablo 3, ohh yeah and a huge video advertisement in the middle of what I am trying to read.

I almost want to hate this game just because of the website I had to read up on it. >_<

Adblock man, adblock.  I'm surprised everybody doesn't use it.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It wasn't in disguise, it outright stated it. :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Yeah, was there ANYONE in SMAC that was 100% good guy?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Closest you got to good were Pravin Lal and Lady Diedre

Yeah, I can't think of anything about Deirdre, but I vaguely recall some quote on Lal in lategame.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

I kinda want to be excited for this, but I also suspect 1UPT isn't going anywhere until Civ 6 at the earliest (if that...)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Closest you got to good were Pravin Lal and Lady Diedre

Diedre becomes increasingly detached from her humanity as she communes with Planet.  There are some implications that Lal turns a bit dictatorial in some later tech quotes as he chooses stability over principle, and also that quote about keeping a sample of his wife's cells to remember her by.  Because she didn't share in his faction leader near-immortality treatment for some reason.

Of course, every faction leader becomes equally disturbed and monomaniacal in the storyline segments.

And you really don't know just how much a bad guy Lal can be until you get into a two superpower war with him, much like Gandhi in regular Civ.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh not looking forward to this.

Brian Reynolds was the mastermind of Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri and I have been disappointed with Civ series since he departed. I will keep an eye on this though and see how it develops.

Also wasn't there some other SMAC-like in the works or released recently?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deidre quite happily uses mindworms against fellow humans. Mindworms psi-terrify their prey, then burrow into their brains while they're still alive. Morgan is less morally bankrupt than Deidre.

I'd say Sister Miriam is the most moral leader. Even after hundreds of years, she cares about her people. "Uh, do these teleporters teleport souls? I'm not risking sending my people through them."

Tentatively watching this with interest, even though I didn't like Civ V.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53