Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 145027 times)

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm trying this game out for the free weekend, I want to like it (SMAC was amazing) but.....

My thoughts exactly.  The AI is idiotic and the aliens don't bother you unless you explore.  Espionage is weirdly OP.

Also they seem to have gone minimalist with the UI, making city management completely uninteresting.  They don't even really explain what the building are lorewise, so you're literally just building sci-fi named industry/food/sci bonuses without a sense of immersion.

If you need a SMAC fix, you're still better off with Pandora: First Contact.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Downloaded some mods and gave it another go.

Aggressive aliens gives the aliens an actual presence. Sea-borne aliens are still a bit derpy, but eh. Alien Queens are xenotitans, i think, and with their new aggression that can actually be frightening. You can't roll over aliens as soon as you get marines anymore.

AI intelligence lite, i think it's called, does what you'd think and improves the AI. So then they can survive the alien onslaught.

Coloured tech web and the distinctive biomes mods make it nicer and clearer to look at. I'm enjoying it. It still has a lot of visual glitches, but eh.

EDIT: I think agressive aliens also removes the ultrasonic fence. So yeah. Aliens are upgraded from "not even a threat."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

EDIT: I think agressive aliens also removes the ultrasonic fence. So yeah. Aliens are upgraded from "not even a threat."
"As the writhing, teeming Xenomass swarmed through the chain link fence of the outer perimeter, we saw the defenders recoil in horror. "Stay calm! Use your flame guns!" shouted the commander, but to no avail. It is well known that the Hive Queen uses psychic terror to paralyze its prey, and then carefully implants ravenous larvae in the brains of its still-conscious victims. Even with the best weapons, only the most disciplined troops can resist this horrific attack."

-- Lady Deirdre Skye, "Our Secret War"

"A better fence would have been nice."

-- Some Guy, "Probably"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What bothers me most about this game, is... WHERE IS THE DEMOGRAPHICS SCREEN!??!?! It's one of my most loved features of the Civ series. I want to see at a glance the population of my fledgling empire, in terms of individual humans, not... This city has 15 citizens. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!??!

It's silly but the removal of the demographics screen was the final nail in the BE coffin for me for me.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For all its flaws, I find that the narrative, customization, and unique aesthetic offered by quests, affinity choices, and virtue trees trumps just about anything else I've seen from Sid Meiers. The two facets I would see improved as it stands, would be unit customization (let's talk about armor and armaments, utility gear, and specialized training- each with corresponding strategic resource costs) and the unconditional, rather monotonous lack of RNG elements and strategic conditions involving quest assignment.

In addition, a dozen or so affinity quests to mesh out the socio-political background of your Empire would be nice. Purity, you say? So then- are you aiming for a classic liberal republic, emphasizing individual and economic freedom; a neo-fascist, super-humanist police state ruled by the intellectual elite; or a good old-fashioned western theocracy?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

I'm still waiting an JC Avatar mod and somehow a adeptus mechanicus colonizing a world one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

In addition, a dozen or so affinity quests to mesh out the socio-political background of your Empire would be nice. Purity, you say? So then- are you aiming for a classic liberal republic, emphasizing individual and economic freedom; a neo-fascist, super-humanist police state ruled by the intellectual elite; or a good old-fashioned western theocracy?

That sounds like the policy choices in the original Alpha Centauri where, instead of being locked into three canned morality options, you built your society from political blocks as you liked. I found it much better and more interesting than what BE offers.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds like the policy choices in the original Alpha Centauri where, instead of being locked into three canned morality options, you built your society from political blocks as you liked. I found it much better and more interesting than what BE offers.

Sure, but theme. Nothing is quite as exciting or endearing as raising a nation of Earth loyalists, their legions of noble "centurions"  and exo-suit marines- whose aesthetics harken back to the classical heart of Western civilization- marching against the tides of arrogant, anti-human deviance!

FOR THE HOLY RACE! *stomps on bug*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:47:53 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I found AC's story better. It's planet was an actual mystery, Beyond Earth's planet is mostly bland.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found AC's story better. It's planet was an actual mystery, Beyond Earth's planet is mostly bland.

That is mostly because of the rather large difference between their design philosophies.

AC took the Civilization story/gameplay and elevated it and altered it until it became its own entity.

While Beyond Earth is more of a mod with slight differences attached to a graphical overhaul.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:27:13 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Also AC came with its own reading list. It lurved its story.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

So there's an expansion coming out for BE 3 hours from now, Rising Tide. I'm not going to say whether it sounds like it'll change the main game enough that people will forgive it or not--that's subjective. But it's a thing.

Quote from: Text from the page
Colonize the Ocean: Build floating settlements and access natural resources hidden beneath the seas of the alien planet. Alien beasts with unique abilities inhabit the water and challenge the player in new ways. The ocean provides a fully replayable map, new gameplay mechanics and strategic possibilities for players to reign supreme on their new world.
Dynamic Leader Traits: Players and AI Leaders alike unlock new Traits through gameplay and activate different combinations to respond to the changing world. These dynamic sets of Traits also provide benefits and add to the new Diplomacy system, governed by the new Fear and Respect attributes.
New, Enhanced Diplomatic Options: Shape the diplomatic landscape by using political capital to upgrade your traits, change diplomatic relationships, and leverage the benefits of your allies’ traits.
New Sponsors: Four new factions have been added to the game including Al Falah, nomad explorers descended from wealthy and resilient Middle Eastern states that possess a rich cultural and commercial heritage.
New Artifact System: Collect and combine powerful relics to unlock new perks, unit upgrades, and buildings for your faction on the new world.
New Hybrid Units: Affinities are competing visions for the future of humanity. By investing in multiple Affinities, rather than specializing in just one, players can unlock special hybrid Affinity units and upgrades.
New Biomes: Two new world types have been added. Primordial worlds are rife in volcanic activity and the chaotic landscape of a world still forming. Frigid worlds have cooled in their great age, their surfaces covered with icy oceans and frozen tundra.

Currently watching Quill's videos on it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh forgive it, wait till the second expansion and then people will be gushing over it and forget how bland it was at the start, same as they did with Civ 4 and 5.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking forward to it, myself. Rather than focus on the nature of the 4x genre, what really draws me to a game like this are the (admittedly, light) simulation and narrative elements. I really do enjoy watching a fragile colonial outpost on an alien world spawn into a nascent empire, and finally ascend to the status of world power- all the while, imagining the political, social, and technological undercurrents that motivate it course, and using them to inspire and justify my decisions of in diplomacy, research, development, etc.

If the fear-respect dynamic is relatively well-polished, I think it will add a great deal more playability to BE for me.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

So I'm really liking Rising Tide so far. Adds a ton of new content, and the diplomacy system feels actually developed for the first time ever in a Civilization game.
The aquatic content is kind of underwhelming. The new aquatic units/content feel like their land counterparts, but on water! Artifact system, while minor, is awesome. The stuff you can get from it have plenty of new bonuses and the like.

Really, it just adds a ton of new content that I like overall. The aquatic stuff isn't what I'd consider the selling point, though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53