Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 146468 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I also do not understand why they couldn't add space cities to the mix. Moving cities already exist, space layer already exists, so what the hell?

I guess that is just going to be the next expansion.
Well, the space layer at the moment seems to just be a, well, invisible layer on top of the land layer as far as I can tell, though I could be wrong. If that's the case, however, space cities probably... would require a bit more effort than changing sea cities, since it would then be a matter of creating a whole new plane of activity, rather than modifying an existing one. I could be totally wrong, though, and it could be really easy.

Alternatively, maybe they don't want to have space cities. Don't know, really.

I think the greatest problem with diplomacy is that there is never a reason not to accept a deal. When you make a treaty proposed by other guy, he gets a bonus, sure, but you get diplomatic points. You lose nothing. So unless you don't want to support someone in the lead, it is always worth it.
Yeah, currently that's a big problem in diplomacy. Among other things. It really is in a sad state at the moment, like they went halfway to creating something interesting, creating a platform for new and exciting diplomacy... then didn't put in half the features required to make it exciting and interesting, leaving instead a platform where half of what you'd want to do is impossible.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:36:40 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

It seems kind of like they wanted to distance themselves from the old Civ diplomacy as much as possible.

Also an expanded space layer is almost certain in my mind for another expansion. If there is one.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile

I got the expansion. How the hell do they manage to unbalance a game so egregiously: the Chinese civ bonus is now: each city gets to build its first wonder for free.

Might you be loading a mod that changes that? I thought they started out with a spy and got science after each successful mission. Because that does seem a bit off kilter, even for BE's first expansion.

I like the PAC, as I tend toward production oriented races (building tall instead of wide), and they fit in a similar slot as the Egyptians, where they let me control the wonders. Wonders don't seem nearly as powerful in BE as they do in Civilization, though, and most tend to affect only a single city, so spreading them out isn't necessarily in your best interests, unless you like decentralization.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:56:12 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the expansion. How the hell do they manage to unbalance a game so egregiously: the Chinese civ bonus is now: each city gets to build its first wonder for free.

Might you be loading a mod that changes that? I thought they started out with a spy and got science after each successful mission. Because that does seem a bit off kilter, even for BE's first expansion.
No, that's the "Korean" civ, the new green one.

The "chinese" one is the one bright purple one in the base game. In the base they started with a bonus to wonder production.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

Is that free as in "free upkeep" or free as in "get it instantly and at no cost"? I presumed it to be the first.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is that free as in "free upkeep" or free as in "get it instantly and at no cost"? I presumed it to be the first.

I figured it was free upkeep/no resource cost for building, because the alternative seems insane.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the other hand, at least in my opinion of base Civ:BE, wonders tend to be pretty anemic compared to what they did in previous Civ games.

But it still sucks to lose them to such an overpowered mechanic, and even if the wonders themselves are weak it is still a way more powerful mechanic than anything the other sponsors have.

In reading other things, one person thought that maybe it was a typo and should be "first worker per city is free", which is still powerful and would make more sense.

But given Rising Tide is, you know, released, it should be real easy to settle this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Civ selection says: "The first Wonder built in every city is free. +1 Diplomatic Capital from Wonders."

Civilopedia says the exact same.

When building a wonder in my capital: 1 turn production.

So it's not a typo, it's exactly what it says on the tin.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know, really. It wouldn't be overpowered if it was in the capital, but one per city is a bit baffling.

The only downside I could see is that it doesn't work for wonder stacking on one city. You'd have to spread the wonders all around the colony if you wanted to take full advantage of it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

This feels like a bonus that'd be... ~kind~ of balanced, purely in lower-difficulty single player, where the player will ALREADY pretty easily get all the wonders, so in exchange for a guarantee of getting them, the player gives up wonder stacking.

That is a REALLY round-about way to look at it, and for what little that is "balanced," it's very restricted and probably not what they were going for, but it's up to anyone to figure out WHAT they were thinking with this one...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Sounds like a load of bullshit to me. You're right. That's total horseshit. What nonsense balance is that?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interestingly, there's a small quirk: The bonus doesn't apply to artifact-based wonders. Might be a bug.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

I remember playing CBE during the free weekend some time ago and thinking the wonders were all somewhat underwhelming anyway.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the game I really want to love, I like it core idea but offer too little for both gameplay and RP perspective.
And the new hybrid affinity make my inner OCD scream in agony ( OK, I have red-black looking city with mostly white army and black airforce Argggggg)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

The Wonder thing makes a lot more sense if you assume that you're:

A. Supposed to build every Wonder you research, or at least want to
B. Not research anywhere near every Wonder, at least anytime near the first person to get it does

Which, let's face it, has always been kind of the idea on paper and never been especially well implemented in practice. I don't think most people use wonders the way they're intended to use wonders.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53