Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 143185 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Irrelevant. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Assimilate this!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In Civ II I once bested a civ that already launched their space ship. Mine had better engines but crappy everything else, if I recall correctly only had about 18.something % of success rate, it beat the other ship and I won the game. In your face sucker!

But I get the point. Yeah, I sent a ship loaded with a lot of people on a one way trip that lasted years and if they ever come back at all it would take them decades, if not centuries.

How that's supposed to help me today? It wont. How it will help me to stop those tanks and planes from bombarding me? It wont.

It's a stupid victory condition by itself. Now, it should give you a lot of points (enough to win easily) but not be a victory condition by itself. Granted, the game has it as an alternative in order to have this "Science Victory" and as a lead towards SMAC, but still feels pretty idiotic. Like Niveras say, will all the other countries on Earth say "Oh boy, his space ship reached some distant ball of dirt before ours, which will never affect us not only on our lifetime, but for many generations and possibly never again. We better depose all weapons and submit to his will"

Except you're kinda missing the point. There's absolutely no change in what's going on on Earth. You can keep playing after your space ship has reached the stars if you want. But you've won in that you've managed to make yourself  unbeatable as you've spread your civilization beyond the sky. Even if they conquer you later they still haven't quite beaten you. Kind of like Freelancer and the Coalition.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In Civ II I once bested a civ that already launched their space ship. Mine had better engines but crappy everything else, if I recall correctly only had about 18.something % of success rate, it beat the other ship and I won the game. In your face sucker!

But I get the point. Yeah, I sent a ship loaded with a lot of people on a one way trip that lasted years and if they ever come back at all it would take them decades, if not centuries.

How that's supposed to help me today? It wont. How it will help me to stop those tanks and planes from bombarding me? It wont.

It's a stupid victory condition by itself. Now, it should give you a lot of points (enough to win easily) but not be a victory condition by itself. Granted, the game has it as an alternative in order to have this "Science Victory" and as a lead towards SMAC, but still feels pretty idiotic. Like Niveras say, will all the other countries on Earth say "Oh boy, his space ship reached some distant ball of dirt before ours, which will never affect us not only on our lifetime, but for many generations and possibly never again. We better depose all weapons and submit to his will"

Except you're kinda missing the point. There's absolutely no change in what's going on on Earth. You can keep playing after your space ship has reached the stars if you want. But you've won in that you've managed to make yourself  unbeatable as you've spread your civilization beyond the sky. Even if they conquer you later they still haven't quite beaten you. Kind of like Freelancer and the Coalition.
Yes, but there's also nothing stopping them to go and do the same. And yeah, you can keep playing but by then the game is over and you already won. Not in the lore sense (which I do get) but in the gameplay sense.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except if your enemy sends off a colony ship to another planet in another star system, and you conquer them locally, they're not beyond your grasp at all. You could chase them with another colony ship... Or you could build an interstellar relativistic kill vehicle, which doesn't have to slow down, doesn't need a crew or passengers, and can't be stopped by blowing it up near its target planet.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which is why the only true victory I can conceive in Civilization is complete conquest, be it military, commercially or diplomatic, the game is not truly over until you conquer every single human on the planet. Realistically it would have to by might be a combination of the three.

From there it would be interesting to start (or keep) colonizing other planets and face internal divisions of your empire, and after that encounter enemy aliens. Basically a meta game encompassing several gameplays of Civ V and Beyond Earth.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Except if your enemy sends off a colony ship to another planet in another star system, and you conquer them locally, they're not beyond your grasp at all. You could chase them with another colony ship... Or you could build an interstellar relativistic kill vehicle, which doesn't have to slow down, doesn't need a crew or passengers, and can't be stopped by blowing it up near its target planet.
I think the idea of the science victory is that even if it's not necessarily true gameplay wise, your civ is supposed to be so superior technologically by launching that ship that there's so way any other could hope to compete.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except you can win by capturing the capital of someone who has launched a spaceship (because gameplay), or by launching a spaceship which is so much faster that it gets there before theirs does (which was certainly possible enough that I did it a few times in Civ II, at least).

(Personally, I played many more games of Civ II than of Civ IV or V.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except you can win by capturing the capital of someone who has launched a spaceship (because gameplay), or by launching a spaceship which is so much faster that it gets there before theirs does (which was certainly possible enough that I did it a few times in Civ II, at least).

(Personally, I played many more games of Civ II than of Civ IV or V.)
Oh, this is Civ II. Not played it, so I can't comment.
Yes those mechanics do indeed sound contrived in their relation to narrative.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing is that on latter games the spaceship victory is instantaneous. In Civ II you have to actually wait for the ship to get there and survive. You had this percentage of success depending on how much complete the spaceship was, it wasn't required to complete the 100% of it, if memory serves you only needed one piece of everything and you could launch, but there was the risk of the ship crashing or never getting there because of your slack (or hurry), dunno if you could then start another ship over again, never got the bad luck of my ship not getting there.

Still you had to wait for it to reach Alpha Centaury, in the mean time you could be defeated in any other way (conquest, other spaceship getting first).

EDIT: Found on this thread that actually is impossible to have a failure, once you launch your ship it will be 100% safe to reach Alpha Centaury. The success rate only determined how many points did you get from it...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

EDIT: Found on this thread that actually is impossible to have a failure, once you launch your ship it will be 100% safe to reach Alpha Centauri. The success rate only determined how many points did you get from it...

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alpha Centauri gets an interstellar shotgun blast to the face.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alpha Centauri gets an interstellar shotgun blast to the face.
Suck it, Planet!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, the only real reason to add more non-engine/fuel pieces was for score: There was no actual success chance as far as I remember. It would always arrive if nobody took your capital.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember that Civilization is a game where you try to become the greatest civilization in all history.

As soon as you achieve that... You win.

Civilization beyond earth though... No.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53