Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wandering Wizards both good and evil  (Read 642 times)

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wandering Wizards both good and evil
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:18:07 pm »

I know these already exist somewhat in the game, as I've had a fort succumb to the antics of a group of sneaky necromancers who would stealthily wander my fort area animating mussel shells and corpses. However what I'm suggesting here is that every now and then you'll have a wizard show up who will maybe just start lobbing fireballs around, or creating poisonous gas clouds at a distance. A good wizard would function like a traveler and stay at the fort's inn a while and along with or instead of giving items for his stay he'll do things like make more fruit bearing plants grow for a season, or trees, or whatever I'm sure you get the idea. I checked the dev list and didn't see anything like that in there.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering Wizards both good and evil
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »

Check out the Masterwork Mod.  This very thing happens (but they all are accompanied by a horde of zombies - who do you think builds their towers for them? Leprechauns?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:22:41 pm »

Check out the Masterwork Mod.  This very thing happens (but they all are accompanied by a horde of zombies - who do you think builds their towers for them? Leprechauns?

That's a vanilla thing.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:02:23 am »

Non-'evil' Wizards were in the game at some point and are planned in the future.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:05:50 am »

Non-'evil' Wizards were in the game at some point and are planned in the future.
The whole game is going to move away from a good-evil axis into a more varied set of spheres.  A wandering wizard would be friendly to the fort if his/her spheres were largely compatible with the fort's.

I have no idea how sphere interactions are handled (are some "opposed" to others, or would the game just check for overlap?).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map