Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFFD file limiter too small for new version  (Read 1044 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFFD file limiter too small for new version
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:57:50 pm »

I've been noticing in some of the longer running community games like my own "Luckiest tourist EVER" and "The Museum", that successive fortresses in the same world bloat the compressed save file above 100mb rather quickly.  Currently, "The Museum's" last save (as of April 12th, 2014) is at 193mb and other hosts such a s mediafire are being used to pass the turn on to the next Player.

The reason I'm bringing this up, is that both of these games have been modified to replace the "placeholder" sites with human "cities" and it's the increasing number of historic peoples and acreage of saved landscape (via fortresses or adventure mode camp-fires, for instance) that has contributed so significantly to this bloat.  Once the new version comes out with individualized sites for the races, the same problem will appear in the new community games as new "world history" unfolds year after year, even if the fortress itself is never abandoned.

So my suggestion is to raise the initial limit from 100mb to 200mb per save file.  However, due to my ignorance of the facts pertaining to the amount of information DFFD already has used of its total space, and how often "old" saves are removed to make room for the "new" ones, I don't know hoe feasible this suggestion might or might not be.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: DFFD file limiter too small for new version
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »

I absolutely agree with this. My .zip of the worldgen posted in the Dwarf Mode discussion is 167MB or so, and that size isn’t going down. These saves are already compressed, they will not compress down much further. With the upcoming version of Dwarf Fortress, it may get much worse. I think the size limit needs to be something like 300-400MB or so rather than 100-200MB, actually.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 11:08:26 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/contact.php

This place would be much more sensible to request a max filesize upgrade. Not the DF suggestion board.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:37 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/contact.php

This place would be much more sensible to request a max filesize upgrade. Not the DF suggestion board.

Thanks. I sent an email, suggesting a new cap of 250MB and citing this thread.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:36:24 pm »

I finally had enough free time to finish working on this (it ended up being every bit as much of a pain in the ass as I expected, and then some), so the cap is now increased to 250 MB. I've posted an announcement on the site about it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:09:39 pm »

You can actually get much better results by disabling savegame compression in Dwarf Fortress itself and then using 7Zip to compress them instead.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 01:43:16 am »

Once the new version comes out with individualized sites for the races, the same problem will appear in the new community games as new "world history" unfolds year after year, even if the fortress itself is never abandoned.
Why would he pregenerate the entity towns BEFORE any adventurer visited them?

Yes for community forts it might be an issue, but for single player forts where you explore not very large tracts of land, it shouldn't be significantly larger, if he was coding it efficiently. Sites should remain abstract concepts that take up virtually no space unless some adventurer controlled by the player goes to them.  Even then, you can delete the data after a few years, since you can pretend people moved to new houses, tore stuff down, made new constructions, etc. anyway.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.