Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Modding creature weapon size exceptions  (Read 354 times)

Carnage752

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question: Modding creature weapon size exceptions
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:17:15 pm »

Currently I want to make a civilization with a relatively tiny sized race capable of using the resource gathering equipment usable by most other civilizations, such as picks and axes. I know Kobolds are capable of using short swords one-handed when their size typically wouldn't allow it, so I'm hoping to be able to use that with other creatures and weapons. How do you modify creatures to do this?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Modding creature weapon size exceptions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:39:00 pm »

You must be misinformed, because that's not... really a thing. You could always make smaller weapons or bigger creatures.

I think you might be confused because, while some Kobolds can wield short swords one-handed, certainly not all can. There's variation in size.

Carnage752

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:58:53 pm »

Huh. I thought I read somewhere that the smaller civilization races recieved variations on standard equipment in order to wield them, such as spears and short swords. Well that is unfortunate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:10:18 pm »

Armor, yeah, but not weapons AFAIK.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:53:03 am »

Quote from: item_weapon.txt
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000] amphibian men, etc., need variants

The vanilla spears, blowguns, and daggers have a low minimum size compared to the other weapons. [ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES] uses spears and blowguns.

Short swords are typical of other human-size weapons, and not for the little people.