Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paralyze body without paralyzing the lungs  (Read 1305 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paralyze body without paralyzing the lungs
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 12:40:29 pm »

Of course that is a "safer" alternative to paralysis but then why have a paralysis syndrome effect at all in game? Considering some venoms and poisons in RL due cause death by suffocation from causing the lungs to become paralysed and or heart which of course kills you (duh lol)

The reason to have it in the game is what you sort of just answered for yourself in this quote: it kills you by suffocation, whereas unconsciousness does not. That's the functional difference.  So fr instance, a creature with [NO_BREATHE] will not distinguish between the two, whereas a dwarf will. This can matter in terms of real gameplay outcomes.

But as soon as you ask "How do I do paralysis, but without the suffocation" like in the OP you've now removed any functional reason to distinguish paralysis, so just use unconsciousness, yes? Unless you're THAT concerned about flavor.

If you ask "Why have paralysis without suffocation in the game at all?" the answer would be "No reason. That's why it ISN'T in the  game ;)"
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:02 pm »

Actually, it might matter still for other fringe things. Like maybe a conscious, but paralyzed dwarf with somebody murdered next to him gets points counted toward "Doesn't feel much of anything anymore" whereas if he is unconscious, he doesn't?  Don't know if that's actually a difference in the game.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 02:57:19 pm »

It is worth noting that DF paralysis is tracked by a single number (per syndrome affecting a creature) and is NOT tracked at the body part level. It is simply not possible to have a single part or selective group of parts paralyzed.

The stereotypical d&d "hold person" paralysis is a mind-affecting compulsionto stand still and not move a muscle, but somehow allows breathing.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »

DF is a simulator so I'd go that Toady wanted these Syndromes to be realistic (thus suffocation with paralysis) guess if I wanted a "root" spell it would have to go the route of slowing that evicted saint originally suggested, may not be the perfect "held in place" but will still allow somewhat the target to fight back if approached (just because your feet are stuck, doesn't mean you can't counter) might have to toss a skill adjust negative, but I don't think I can just limit DODGE.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:09 am »

What would be really nice is if the IMPAIR_FUNCTION syndrome worked on body party instead of just organs. Then you could have a "root" spell that impaired stance body parts.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:09 am »

yeah, only way to do that would be to add NERVOUS to the STANCE body parts, but then they could still just crawl. So it would more or less be a "cripple" spell, there is no true way of rooting I guess, unless Toady adds IMMOBILE and FLIER to the ADD_TAG/REMOVE_TAG syndromes.
-snip- (Wish IMMOBILE was a tag that could be added, and FLIER removeable. Than i'd just add IMMOBILE and remove FLIER for the root time and be done with it)
Pages: 1 [2]