Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Organ Design Help  (Read 702 times)

Djonin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New Organ Design Help
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:42:58 am »

Hello all! I am designing a desert-dwelling race mod, and I wanted to add a few things to make them "weird". Namely, I wanted to stick an additional organ in their chest called the "Hydrator" that stored extra water for them. What I want to do is make water a non-issue for them unless the organ is breached, or surgically removed due to infection, and I can't seem to figure out how to make a specific organ give the [NO_DRINK] attribute, then take it away when it's gone.

Also, is [NO_DRINK] compatable with [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT], or do they cancel each other out? If they do, is there a way to slow their need for water/alcohol so long as they have their hydrator working?

I'm also working on making tequila a thing for this civilization, but I should be fine on that front...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: New Organ Design Help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:05 am »

hmm.. it's a bit tricky NO_DRINK can be removed via syndromes but not ALC_DEPNT

and yes NO_DRINK conflicts with ALC_DEPNT as since they can't drink booze it depresses them, there is no real bonus of having it might as well not even add it.

So what you do is that each creature has NO_DRINK already but there is a special "water" liquid that when in contact with them removes that (pierce the hydrator, leaks fluid, removes NO_DRINK) and can argue that the damaged organ no longer functions the same ever again, however if another creature of the same race walks through the spill they will lose the ability of no drinking aswell.

So look into materials+syndromes and tissues.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:20 am »

Creature normally doesn't have NO_DRINK but can use an interaction to get that ability for a limited time. The interaction should have the BP_REQUIRED token for the organ. The creature will only be able to grant itself NO_DRINK as long as it has/can use the organ.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:59:03 am »

that's actually a better way of using that, nice. Can't believe that method slipped my mind.

Djonin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:24:01 pm »

That actually makes a lot of sense. I suppose that would be like "taking a drink" from your hydrator.

Djonin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:05:21 am »

how would I go about making an interaction that grants NO_DRINK to my creature? Every time I try and find a template on CDI stuff, it's always about material emissions

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:02:19 am »

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:NO_BABIES]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:creature]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:sterile]
[CE_ADD_TAG:STERILE:START:0]

Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:NO_BABIES]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Sterile]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:16800]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 05:38:31 am »

Now I want to make all my dwarves sterile and give them a temporary interaction which removes it and is called "make babies" which requires an organ. Damn you :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 02:46:52 pm »

I just modified my wrapper.lua (formally selected.lua) to include body part selection. It can now run scripts depending on if a unit has a specified body part or not.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 02:21:57 pm »

This is probably the way I'm going to make my historical race "immune" to vampirism, by having the brain having an interaction that removes the relevant tokens from the creature. :)

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 03:05:12 pm »

Unrelated to the modding issue, but why would a storage organ somehow make them not need to drink?

Wouldn't storage simply allow them to drink several times at once and, you know, store it? They'd still require as much external water, though! Just timed differently.

In order to never drink at all, you'd have to have several organs different. For instance:
1) Water storage hydrator, AND
2) Superdwarvenly powerful kidneys, AND
3) A very long snout or similar so that when you exhale, water circulates inside and recondenses, like a kangaroo rat, AND
4) Some method of cooling themselves off other than sweating. Which can be tricky. Depends whether ambient temperature is generally higher or lower than body temperature (if lower, huge thin ears would help for instance, but that becomes counterproductive if it's hotter than body temp outside). And for example, you can make a snout as a new extended body part off the head, and then make it huge so it's more likely to take damage due to its size. etc.

If the storage gets damaged, then they have to drink more often, but not more water.
If the others get damaged, they have to drink more total.

(If possible)

Also, for flavor purposes, I'd mod the allowable hair colors for them to all be light colors =P
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.