Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to mod to get caravans and to allow more civs in extreme temperatures?  (Read 545 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm aware that most of their caravan goods might burn/evaporate/freeze, that's fine.
I just want the caravans themselves to come anyway, so that for instance, I can provoke them to war. Or sell rock crafts to them, or whatever is possible with the temperature.

I assume wagons are an issue (I don't want to make wood invulnerable to temps, because that would make things too easy). So I figure I need to:

1) Make all the civs come without wagons, like elves do.
2) I guess make the draft animals and the races themselves resistant to cold/heat? I think this is the main reason why it says "NO TRADE" on embark. (Also this allows sieges where they don't die as they stand around, but I will if I go outside).
3) Make the civs show up in the first place. Like for instance making elves no longer require forest, so I get them on an all tundra/glacier map, etc.
4) Also, is there a way to make my own dwarfs not resistant to cold/heat, but visiting dwarves yes?
5) Get the civs to carry weapons and armor that are temperature resistant (like more metal less clothing and wooden armor in frozen games).

A) Am I missing anything?
B) I think I can handle #1, #2 (except for I don't know where to define which animals are used as draft animals), but am unsure about the rest.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nevermind I actually already figured out all of this, it was much easier than I was expecting.

(Got all of the trading to work by making horses the only pack animals or wagon pullers, and then making horses out of nethercap)

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Nevermind I actually already figured out all of this, it was much easier than I was expecting.

(Got all of the trading to work by making horses the only pack animals or wagon pullers, and then making horses out of nethercap)
So let me get this straight.  You say a wooden horse outside your front gate and you let it into the fortress?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha yes, I suppose I did.

It turned out not to be much of a threat. A tantruming dwarf (I guess he didn't like everybody's heads melting) ended up punching it a couple times, causing the whole horse to EXPLODE into like 50 pieces (giant circle of purple refuse). Despite its "upper body missing" and 3 limbs gone, the horse just sort of nonchalantly kept dragging itself along on one remaining leg and munching grass. But I think it was clear there were no enemies hiding inside.